Underwater Max Prop Lubrication

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
1. I guess he's not concerned about pushing salt water in under the grease?
2. from the Max-Prop manual:
With each pump of the grease gun rotate the propeller from forward to reverse to allow the grease to work through the propeller.

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
I guess he's not concerned about pushing salt water in under the grease?
Yes, water gets into the body of the prop. Max Prop is not a sealed system, which is why waterproof grease is used to lubricate it.

from the Max-Prop manual:
With each pump of the grease gun rotate the propeller from forward to reverse to allow the grease to work through the propeller.
I worked the blades back and forth after the body cavities had been properly filled with grease. I've done this a few times, chief.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Perhaps Jviss will expand his comment so we can understand how pushing salt water makes any difference considering the alloys MaxProp uses in this propeller assembly?

Charles

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I've done this a few times, chief.
O.K., "chief," or general, or admiral, whatever. I had just read the manual last week, and it jumped out at me that you weren't working the blades between each pump, that's all.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Perhaps Jviss will expand his comment so we can understand how pushing salt water makes any difference considering the alloys MaxProp uses in this propeller assembly?

Charles
When the hub is full of grease, it keeps the salt water out. If you pump some slat water in with the grease, it doesn't. I'm not saying it amount to any difference, just an academic observation.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Knowing I would drop the screws and zerc fittings I grease mine on the hard with a tarp under it. Years back I dropped 1 screw onto the gravel and spent an hour removing one pebble at a time. Glad to see you squeezing the tube while pumping the gun for grease. I thought I was alone on that one.

All U Get

Feb 26, 2011
When the hub is full of grease, it keeps the salt water out. If you pump some slat water in with the grease, it doesn't. I'm not saying it amount to any difference, just an academic observation.
Too much grease impedes the movement of the blades. Correct maintenance is to inject enough grease to lubricate all moving parts properly, and no more. Again, it is not a water-tight system, nor it designed to be. Water and grease happily coexist inside the prop at all times.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2011
Knowing I would drop the screws and zerc fittings I grease mine on the hard with a tarp under it. Years back I dropped 1 screw onto the gravel and spent an hour removing one pebble at a time.
If I hadn't edited the video down (the actual job was a repitch of the prop), you'd have seen me lower this below the prop:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Too much grease impedes the movement of the blades. Correct maintenance is to enough inject grease to lubricate all moving parts properly, and no more. Again, it is not a water-tight system, nor it designed to be. Water and grease happily coexist inside the prop at all times.
Well, I'm no expert, but on that topic the manual says "...fill the propeller with grease until the grease starts to come out between the hub (1) and the spinner (7). Replace the set screw and remove the set screw from the more aft hole. Reinstall the zerc tower and attach your grease gun and fill the propeller with grease until the grease starts to come out between the blades and the spinners."
Operative word is "fill." But what do they know, they just make the thing.

Feb 26, 2011
Well, I'm no expert, but on that topic the manual says "...fill the propeller with grease until the grease starts to come out between the hub (1) and the spinner (7). Replace the set screw and remove the set screw from the more aft hole. Reinstall the zerc tower and attach your grease gun and fill the propeller with grease until the grease starts to come out between the blades and the spinners."
Operative word is "fill." But what do they know, they just make the thing.
Well, you got one thing right. You're no expert. You inferred that the prop was filled with grease to the point that all water was displaced. That's simply not the case nor is it what the installation instructions say.

But what do I know? I'm only a PYI-trained and recommended Max Prop dealer and installer.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Well, you got one thing right. You're no expert. You inferred that the prop was filled with grease to the point that all water was displaced. That's simply not the case nor is it what the installation instructions say.

But what do I know? I'm only a PYI-trained and recommended Max Prop dealer and installer.
Well, then you should tell them to correct the documentation, or if they won't at least pretend to follow it.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Fstbttms, you must go through a lot of tools due to corrosion. Do you take any steps to preserve them or do you just turn them over fast enough to not care? That video made me nervous! SO easy to lose a set screw or other. Hats off to you!

Feb 26, 2011
Fstbttms, you must go through a lot of tools due to corrosion. Do you take any steps to preserve them or do you just turn them over fast enough to not care?
I do not do anything special to prevent corrosion. I will rinse really expensive tools (prop pullers etc.) with freshwater after use but nothing you saw in that video gets any special treatment. When a tool corrodes beyond use, it gets replaced. You might be surprised at how infrequently that actually occurs.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Knowing I would drop the screws and zerc fittings I grease mine on the hard with a tarp under it. Years back I dropped 1 screw onto the gravel and spent an hour removing one pebble at a time.
I do this work over a drop cloth ever since I shared that experience:eek: I also buy my MaxProp set screws by the bag at the chandlery...so I don't have to be concerned when one goes missing. All the same, losing one of those fine Italian machined blades into the muck would be a major downer!