Ultimate Catalina 25?

Apr 18, 2008
O'Day 34 Fairfield Harbour, NC
Opinions vary greatly, but I think I have the ultimate C25. It is a wing keel with inboard diesel. No cable, winch, or hinge issues, no ugly outboard hanging off the stern. 2'10" draft. Very easy to launch and recover with the rollers on the trailer. I don't know how many Catalina made, but they are rare. In Ohio I kept it rigged on the trailer at a local lake. Now living in North Carolina, I have it docked full time. Great day sailor, but I need a little more room for cruising. It is in the classifieds. Any other diesel boats out there?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Bilgewater;
Use to be the Catalina dealer for years in that area as American Marine & Sail Supply. Is Donna still the manager? One thing to remember you have wind tides if not experienced them already and draft must be kept in mind. One brokerage is Triton's Yachts in Oriental whose number is 252-249-2001, Paul Wells. He is well known and highly respected as he is a sailboat dealer, hauler, sailor and so forth. Family is VMI and that shows integrity as well.

Apr 18, 2008
Thanks, Dave. We moved here last July, and are still learning our way around, on land and on the water. Yes, I've experienced wind tides here. We can lose a foot or more at Fairfield Harbour if the wind is right. We had a bit of that at our old marina in Sandusky, Ohio. A strong west wind for a couple of days would drop water several feet in the western basin of Lake Erie. Friends with deep draft boats couldn't get out of the marina till the wind shift and the water came back. I've always had shoal draft boats for that reason. I'm looking at some Catalina 30s in the area. I think the 4'4" shallow keel is just the thing for around here. Don't want to go any deeper than that. I'll keep Triton in mind. One thing for sure, there is a plethora of boats to choose from here.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You are wise my friend on the draft. Also, there is another reasonable repair facitlity in Oriental that I trust most heartily which is Sailcraft. I use to launch the new big boats from there. By the way, Pepsi was conceived and started in New Bern. Are you into model trains and if so, there will be a small train show shortly in New bern. If into that you might enjoy. If you ever need any information, feel free to contact me. Is a lady still running the marina and if so, I have a cute joke for you to tell her. She will remember it wondering where in the world you got it. Always thought the world of her. The old fellow is long gone. Use to keep boats there.

Apr 18, 2008
Crazy Don, were you once a Hunter dealer as well? I thought we might have corresponded 10 years ago when I bought a Hunter 26. I'm thinking about an 89 33.5 in Washington N.C. After reading owners reviews, the only down side I see in the boat is being underpowered with the 18hp Yanmar. Comments?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
mountain scene.JPG

It was Crazy Dave operating as American Marine & Sail Supply, Inc in Zebulon, NC with operations from time to time at the coast but now retired. This is a photo from my back porch taken recently. I live in the mountains of VA. As for an 18 hp, it will move you thru the Pamlico but slower during a storm or wind tide but preferred a larger engine for the newer 33.