Type of Tires for trailer? For hauling 1985 Hunter 23 .

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23 Looking new to area
What size? Fender on trailer above tire. One tire is a C 75-15 tubeless, the other is tire is different:
215/65R15 955 Formula -GT BRAND.

Both are rotted from sitting 5 years .

Need to move and want to buy new tires with the rims attached to be.sure its safe. And where i can buy these replacement tires. Your help is greatly appreciated . Thanks loads!

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If it were me, I'd avoid automotive tires and get real trailer tires designed for loads and minimized swaying.
TireRack offers them but you could do well locally too. Be sure your bearings are in good shape and packed well. you don't need rims unless yours are bent.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/types/perfCat.jsp?gclid=CjwKCAjwio3dBRAqEiwAHWsNVdMXyLif5FiwwyMt4d-huC3bz5lLZ69ay_7LlqSBcoXYYd8oe_WrHxoCuloQAvD_BwE&perf=TS&s_kwcid=AL!3756!3!254641197285!e!!g!!boat trailer tires&ef_id=W2Rm3wAAAF4UAu_X:20180920181409:s

Jun 28, 2016
Justin, THANKS for your reply, and sharing info on tiretrack. Will look into that.
It seems from your reply that the previous owner put car tires on my trailer so, Question... based on the tire.specs i sent, do you think i need to.buy 15" tires? Thanks again.

Jun 28, 2016
Awesome!!! You are an angel
Thanks for your quick replies. While i plan to xheck out tiretrack for the tires you recommended,
I also just looked up types of tires to buy for the simgle.axle trailer and found these at Walmart, with exceptional reviews. What do you think? Know anyone who ever used this tire... from.Wallymart?

Attachments

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
They should work fine. And you can check the fit/clearance right there on the spot.
I only reference TireRack because they have good information

Jun 28, 2016
My only issue is the boat is on the trailer. My friend said he can chamge them for me, as walmart told me 2 yrs ago that they camt chamge tires with the boat on trailer. Thanks Angel, will review tiretrack to learn more amd decide on a pair of tires.

Keeping a positive outlook that all will be well with my move/tow.

Happy Sailing, TANYA

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You should be able to block the axle up and remove the wheels. Be sure you keep a spare, a jack and a lug wrench that fits. Not that it is likely to happen on new tires but you don't want to get stranded somewhere. On that note, be sure your bearings are in good shape. If you have brakes, make sure they work. They get rusty and frozen sitting for too long.
Enjoy your boat Tanya!

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
The Walmarts down here have them on the rim ready to go. If you are going to regularly tow the boat buy three so you have a decent spare. Make sure your jack fits under the axle with a flat tire. Do NOT try to jack up the boat from the frame only under the axle.

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
Goodyear Endurance trailer tires are the only trailer tires made in the USA that are available. Most of the rest of them come from China, and can be varying degrees of crap. Lots of problems with them in the RV industry.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Funny, I recently decided Goodyear Endurance was the tire for me also.

Regardless of brand, though, I would use load range D at minimum. Load range E is best. I blew two C's in two years pulling my C22. It ain't worth the slight cost savings.

Goodyear Endurance trailer tires are the only trailer tires made in the USA that are available. Most of the rest of them come from China, and can be varying degrees of crap. Lots of problems with them in the RV industry.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Goodyear Endurance are made in the US Goodyear Marathon tires are made in China. If the country of origin is important to you don't get the two confused had several conversations on this.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...idewall=Blackwall&partnum=175NR4END&tab=Sizes

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
I picked up two tires for my H23 (almost) ready-to-go at Tractor supply. (Pulled into the lot with one tire going down and nearly flat) maybe $90 each but it was a few years ago.
I say almost because they came preset at 30psi, I had a surprisingly hard time getting the store to inflate to 45 for me.

Where did you buy the boat, and where are you taking it??

Sep 8, 2018
Catalina 30 FL
Hi Tanya,
Last month I took my sailboat which was on a trailer to Blacks Tire (NC and SC). They put new bearings and tires on it. I had fenders as well. It cost me around $700 I think. Well worth it. Then I drove it 25 hours to Key West with no issues.
.IMG_0056.JPG