Two questions

shine

Sep 14, 2009
Macgregor 1985 25 ft. Macgregor swingkeel Mo
Why are there two holes on the bow and stern chain plates where the forestay and backstay attach ? Second question is, when installing rubber gasket material for pop top to keep rain out, do you install it to underside of pop top or the top of deck ? Ok I have a third question. Is there a better way to secure the cockpit locker lid then the way it was done in the factory ?

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Hey Mark - good to see you're still working on the Mac 25 and posting - hope the changes you're making are going well!
Question 1 - there's only one bolt but 2 holes in each, and never thought anything of it, and after 34 years, I still inspect them annually and all seems to be well...
Q2 - When I bought the boat new, it had the gaskets installed on the pop top. I've continued with that location, mostly because with the top up, the gaskets would get torn off the deck too easily. When you're out there sailing, things happen, and the less things that can get torn off easily, the better.
Q3 - The cockpit locket lid has always been a question in my mind. While pretty organic, it does the job. Knock on wood, I haven't yet had an issue. The other mac 25 guy in my marina doesn't even bother to lock the hatch or the lid, so he's no help with this question!

I look forward to hearing anyone else's answers on these questions, too.

Jun 24, 2010
Macgregor 25 Northeast, MD
Q2 - Yes put the gaskets on the pop top. They are out of harms way when the top is up.
Q3 - I have never had any problem with the way the hatch is secured so never really thought about a need to change it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
On my Mac I closed the poptop and traced where the top met the deck opening so I had an accurate line to lay the new gasket on. The gasket material has to be pretty thick to make good contact everywhere.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Q3 - The cockpit locket lid has always been a question in my mind. While pretty organic, it does the job. Knock on wood, I haven't yet had an issue. The other mac 25 guy in my marina doesn't even bother to lock the hatch or the lid, so he's no help with this question!
I once was on a boat that had a latch with a twist lock and it always got legs while moving around in the cockpit. I figure that is why the factory did it the way they did.

shine

Sep 14, 2009
Thanks to all. That answered my questions. Thanks timebandit for the pics. I love seeing other Mac 25 ideas.

Feb 8, 2017
I need to update my answer to question 1 since I was at the boat today and eyeballed what it was you were asking especially since I misread that question. I concur with timebandit about the bow chainplate - the more forward hole is for the forestay and the aft one is for jib attachment. About the stern one, I've never had occasion to use the other chainplate hole. My best guess is the MacGregor used the same chainplate for both. You probably noticed that bow and stern chainplate are oriented diferently by 45 degrees. One of the ways they kept costs down was simplicity and ordering the same part in bulk would have helped in that regard - IMHO.

2 weeks to splashing Water Music (finally)!

shine

Sep 14, 2009
Yes, after seeing the reply's, it all makes sense. Thanks for your help.

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Yeah, what Captain Ron Said..... I split the backstay so I could put a backstay tensioner on. Same deal. chainplate has two holes....

Oct 24, 2018
Helsen 22 Fond Du Lac, WI
Hi Mark, I don't have a Mac but I have a Helesn 22 with a poptop and I am curious where you found the replacement rubber seal for yours? Mine is about 1 1/2" deep by 1" wide and I have no Idea where to find a replacement. Any suggestions would help. By the way mine is glued to the top so it is out of the way when the top is up.

Feb 8, 2017
where you found the replacement rubber seal for yours? Mine is about 1 1/2" deep by 1" wide and I have no Idea where to find a replacement. Any suggestions would help. By the way mine is glued to the top so it is out of the way when the top is up

Hey Timmer117,

I use foam rubber a/c gasket readily available from HD. The one I use has a self gluing strip on it, so just rip the paper off and put in place - ez-peazy. Mine generally last about 10 years or so and appear to be the same as what was the original on my '85 Mac 25. Good luck!

shine

Sep 14, 2009
I purchased the replacement gasket from Blue water yachts. I installed it on the locker lid in cockpit and the forward hatch, but I haven't installed it on the pop top yet because it just doesn't look like its thick enough. I have been waiting for a better solution that make sense to me. Captain Ron could you tell us more about the HD
Ac gasket thing. Is it round or flat and square ?

Feb 8, 2017
It's square. The Home Depot near me has a whole rack of different sizes, shapes and materials. When I'm back at the boat Monday, I'll measure and let you know size. My recollection is that each piece is 2 inches square and 6 feet long. I'll be finishing up my keel cable replacement project. I figure maybe 34 years is long enough service for the original cable...

Jun 1, 2015
Macgregor 26d Trailer Estates, Fl
I inherited an old ford 150. I’m breaking it down to make a redneck trailer for hauling stuff around the yard. Anyway, was looking at the door seals and thought, I wonder if those will attach to the pop top. They are perfect! They have a metal U inside the rubber that can be squeezed on the edge of the pop top. Creates a great seal. You might be able to get one at a junkyard fairly cheap.

It’s been on for two seasons without any issues. My only mistake was not sealing the cut ends, so I have some rust. Will eventually cover that with something.