turnbuckles??

Jul 22, 2015
Catalina 27 MO
So after our boat was delivered we were doing lots of cleaning, looking around and checking things out. One of the things that looked "not right" was the backstay turnbuckle. How much "turn" (not sure what to call the metal pieces that screw into it) should be inside the thing. It seemed that there wasn't much at all actually screwed in. I mean maybe just the top of the "screw" was into the turnbuckle both on the top and bottom. Is this ok? (Picture the turnbuckle and being able to see 90% through it.)
Thanks..
Will be up this weekend to sail, clean, inspect, look around, ETC.
Also found out it will be about $200.00 to get my old depth gauge fixed. So now I have to ask the age old question.. to fix or buy new.. that is the question!!
Happy sailing

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
can you still see the cotter pin holes on the inside of the turnbuckle if so you have enough to hold but normal practice is that the turnbuckle is about 2/3rds extended on full open or slack when starting from slack ...and make sure you use the cotter pins ...they also make a toggle extension that will let you close up the screws some if it is to short

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Couple ways you to go.... as Woodster mentioned, you can add a double jaw toggle at the bottom of the turnbuckle assembly which will give you another inch or so. You'll need to know the chainplate's pin diameter.

You could also replace the existing turnbuckle's "barrel" with a longer one.

Or you could try finding a longer "threaded T-Bolt" (or T-Bar), which is the part that connects the barrel to the toggle... Kind of a longshot solution.

One Final Solution...... get rid of the turnbuckle and add a backstay adjuster!

Jul 22, 2015
Catalina 27 MO
So this is all I have

image-2190714780.jpg

I am sure that's not enough. I'm so upset at the guy who commissioned my boat. Pretty sure the roller fuller jib is twisted too.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
So this is all I have

View attachment 91391

I am sure that's not enough. I'm so upset at the guy who commissioned my boat. Pretty sure the roller fuller jib is twisted too.
WOW you really need to do something before you loose the connection get the double jaw toggle and some cotter pins and get that fixed today before you go out again oh and for now take a halyard and tie it off to a cleat and secure it tight on the other end to act as a temporary safety while repairing this

Jul 22, 2015
Catalina 27 MO
Thanks. I was thinking there is no way that is right but I left it to a "pro" to re-rig for us and this is what I get. I'm pretty sure he forgot to plug in the mast lights too. Ugh!!!

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Holy cow - you need to get some more turns on that. It's barely enough threads to hold on. Looks like the rigger forgot to put some turns on and clearly forgot the cotter pins.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
have you got any slack or sag in the back stay ...if so tighten up the turnbuckle more and put some cotter pins in until you can get the rigging adjusted correctly and if you paid the rigger with a check ...stop payment and notify him he will be paid when the job is done right

Jul 22, 2015
Catalina 27 MO
have you got any slack or sag in the back stay ...if so tighten up the turnbuckle more and put some cotter pins in until you can get the rigging adjusted correctly and if you paid the rigger with a check ...stop payment and notify him he will be paid when the job is done right
I feel much better now.

image-729301741.jpg

:)

Thanks you guys.

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
As a guy who bought a boat that didn't have cotter pins in the lower shrouds and had a lower chain plate fail and then have both lower turnbuckles on the other side unscrew and then watched the mast rock until we got the situation under control, I say never sail without cotter pins in place.

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Pretty sure the roller fuller jib is twisted too.[/quote]

Glad you got the backstay turnbuckle fixed. Did you make sure the roller furler and headstay are properly installed and not twisted ? If twisted it could have an impact on the positioning of the masthead towards the front of the boat hence making the backstay hard to secure properly.

Jul 22, 2015
Catalina 27 MO
Actually, we pulled down the jib and its heading to sail care. The PO had some kind of zipper attachment to the roller fuller and we don't like it so we're going to have it made so it will slide into the foil.
Thanks for the help