Trying to Install Profurl Plastic piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
So I got my parts in from Profurl. I have to put a new plastic sleeve in the top swivel, it is the bottom sleeve. I removed the old sleeve and it was in there super tight.

I am having a tough time getting the new sleeve in. It is such a tight fit and I don't want to damage it. Actually, I haven't been able to push the sleeve in and I have no idea of a good way to do this without damaging it. I realize that it must be a tight fit so it doesn't come out but I still need to get it in there!

Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone done this before?

May 23, 2004
The plastic piece goes inside of the second picture. That piece has been smoothed out very slightly so that there are no more burrs inside of it.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Throw the plastic piece in the freezer for a while then try again.

May 23, 2004
Heating the outside piece may not be a good idea because the outside piece is connected to bearings and all other kinds of fun stuff.

I was told that if I take a bolt and run it through with a big washer on both sides I might be able to draw the piece into the top swivel in that manner. It is worth a try and I will chill the part first before I try to install it.

Oct 22, 2008
- Telstar 28 Buzzards Bay
If you use hot water or a hair dryer rather than a torch or a heat gun, you might get enough of an effect to get the piece in. Also, a lot of plastics contract slightly when heated...so the combination of the two might do it.
Heating the outside piece may not be a good idea because the outside piece is connected to bearings and all other kinds of fun stuff.

I was told that if I take a bolt and run it through with a big washer on both sides I might be able to draw the piece into the top swivel in that manner. It is worth a try and I will chill the part first before I try to install it.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Bad, wait til tomorrow and call ProFurl This is a specific to "this equipment-type" of question.

Please let us know what they tell you.

Sep 25, 2008
C30 Event Horizon Port Aransas
I wouldn't use heat or cold. I have messed with plastic bearings a little. I pressed them into their housings, at room temp. The good part of this is, if you do it wrong you will only destroy the plastic bearing, which are cheap compared to that swivel.
When they tell you to press it in tomorrow, I would use a real press so you can get everything lined up correctly. There is a slight chamfer, but you have some damage to it, but that bearing will still be easily pressed in, in a press. Follow Stu's advice though to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.