Trying something different

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

crazy dave condon

If you do not know what you are doing, then ?

David; YOu have some serious damage and to be blunt, you may be getting in over your head. Again, suggest going to Euro Specialty in Roanoke and see what they say to repair. Ask for Jon. He has already worked on 170's with severe damage in the past. He knows what he is doing. It is only a two hour drive. I know what I am talking about. I guess I have nothing else to suggest. Take care.

Dec 31, 1969
- - -
Who will pay?

I talked with Jon! described my problem and asked for a ballpark price. Was told that the last repair similar to mine cost $3000!!! Quite simply, I didn't pay much more for that boat to start with and can't afford another $3000. From my first impression, they repair rich people's toys. Euro-Specialty? I am sorry, but I am poor person and can't afford it. Either I fix it myself, someone fixes it for me, for free, or on a poor pastor's salary, or I scrap the boat. I am not some retired banker with tens of thousands of dollars to play with. I am not going to scrap the boat, and I haven't heard that anyone is going to fix it for me for free. Sorry, but I don't know how much more blunt I can be. I can't afford Euro-Speciality. Right now I have a piece of junk. If my repairs don't work, then I am still have a piece of junk, but my retirement funds are not spent!!!!

JerryA

Oct 17, 2004
Tanzer 29 Jeanneau Design Sandusky Bay, Lake Erie
Helpful Link for your review

David, Here's a very good helpful link to help you get started. http://www.sailing-obsession.com/ACPrepair.htm Just start with an easier break, improve your technique as you go. A Dremmel type tool would be useful for preparing the areas. Prepare an area, take a few pics for us to critique, and we'll all help you get'r done. Keep the faith, JerryA

Dec 31, 1969
- - -
Thanks

for the good words, and the great site. I have already filled and sanded the cracks in the deck (apparently a '98er). I started with the dremel, filled with Devcon and sanded down to 600. I just bought 1500 today and will finish sanding tomorrow. If I can find some paint to match tomorrow, I might go ahead and start the painting. For my next project, I will tackle the port side rubrail and save the motor mount for last. If I can do all of that, for my next trick I will walk on water! Blessings, David

Dec 31, 1969
- - -
Krylon Paint

Yes, Krylon, Fusion, White, #2320 worked well for me. It was a good color match and the Fusion line bonds well with plastic!

C

crazy dave condon

unkind words

David; Ok, you called Euro specialty in Roanoke. Of course they probably did not see the boat and over the phone it would be hard to really get down to the nitty and gritty. However, I took offense at your comments about them. Granted they specialize on the higher end cars but most of their work is on the average day to day cars and comparing their prices to others, they are in line as I use to be an adjuster many years ago before I got into this industry and to be blunt the prices I saw in the Bluefield area per hour were much higher. However, I suggested them because they have repaired some pretty damaged boats. You have the right to disagree on price but to speak negative about anyone or any company on this forum is not proper. You can disagree with them but like anyone else, those guys are trying to make a living like the rest of us and to be blunt, they barely make ends meet. In the past I recieved critizism after the fact on imput but in the end, I appreciate the kind comments on those who I help. I do not get paid and it takes time to review and answer. Please keep the negative comments off the forum. Thank you.

Dec 31, 1969
- - -
Apologies

To all who read this thread: I am sorry if any of you took offense at my comments about Euro Specialty in Roanoke, but I was exasperated, not at Euro Specialty but rather at Mr. Condon who had apparently not read my post. I had stated that I had already called them (reply #27) as per his suggestion in reply #19, spoken with Jon, and, not having insurance, found their prices out of my range. Then Mr. Condon suggested in reply #28 that I call them and speak with Jon! My comments concerning "rich people's toys" had to do with their website (www.eurospecialty.com) with the fancy European sports car on the home page and references to Jaguars and Mercedes. If this is offensive to any of you, please forgive me. Please note, I have removed all of these posts as well as any other to which I have access. Mr. Condon, I am sure that years ago, the price of repairs to European sports cars in Bluefield was much higher than in Roanoke, probably because there weren’t many European sports cars in Bluefield at the time. I do not fault Euro Specialty for the price they charge. I am sure they do excellent work. And as Jesus told his disciples “the laborer is worthy of his wages.” (Luke 10:7) However, I am just a poor man without insurance and am lucky to have the boat. “To be blunt,” this is twice our paths have crossed, to the dissatisfaction of us both. I hope there will not be a third time. To the rest of you: thank you for your patience and help with my ignorant questions and problems. May you always have steady breezes, clear skies and open horizons. As for me, I think I will sail other waters from now on… Blessings, David

D

Dale

ya

David you can ask me any question you want I do this because I enjoy it. I dont look for anything other than I may or may not help out in any situation.

E

Edwin

No offense

Padre, No offense taken, no harm done as far as I'm concerned. Let's get that boat in the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.