Trying something different

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Edwin

I've got a '98 model H170, infamous for the APC cracking. I've named my boat appropiately "Cracked". Once again I'm doing my spring ritual of fixing the cracks on the gunwale. As I'm Dremeling out the cracks prepping for using Plastic Welder to mend I'm noticing that I'm repairing cracks I've repaired before. So I'm fiberglassing about a 3' section of the gunwale as a test to see how it holds up. I know they don't recommend fiberglassing but I had to do it to my rudder mount on the transom last year. Sailing in about 15+ winds I could feel my rudder yawing, look over the stern and my screws were pulling out. To shorten the story the plywood that the screws mount to had rotted so I had to cut all that out replaced the wood and had no choice but to fiberglass. So far it has held up well. I'll keep you posted on the gunwale experiment unless someone else has already experienced. Don't know about later models but I'm thinking with verticle cracks on the gunwale the boat is flexing fore to aft. I'm hoping the fiberglass will stiffen the boat somewhat. Here's to luck.

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
are you using bondo?

The owners manual for my '98 says to under fill with the 2 part epoxy and then put a fine coat of bondo on the top. I guess now a days they no longer recommend that. The bondo gives a really nice smooth sandable finish, but a couple years down the road it cracks! The current recommendation is to dremmel out the crack to make it a "v" groove. Then fill to the top with the two part epoxy, smooth it off as best you can while the epoxy is wet, and paint. Good luck with the glass. john

C

crazy dave condon

repairs

Two part epoxy and bondo does not work. You will need a product that welds plastic together. Just had a brain fart as I forgot the names of the materials but we get ours at of all places Wal Mart. Call Hunter at 800-771-5556 ext. 3645. You will be able to get the names of the materials. Not sure where but I usally do the dremel at a V angle. Then wet sand and paint with Krylon spray paint Fusion # 2320 which is a good color match. If the repair does not hold, then I will use fiberglass cloth coated with the plastic weld. Once the repairs are made using glass cloth, then I will finish off with a coat or two of the plastic weld to fill in the fine holes and then wet sand and spray paint. I hope this helps

Feb 19, 2008
my bad

you are right of course dave, it's not two part epoxy. It's called Devcon, and I looked all over for it before I finally called Hunter and they told me Wal-Mart. I have a number right below the word Devcon - MA-310. I think that is the specific devcon product, or it might be completely unrelated! Anyway they used to say underfill with the devcon and then put a coat of bondo on, now they say use the devcon and try to get it as smooth as you can. anyway - good luck. john

T

Tim Hayes

What part of Wal-Mart

Edwin, Where in Wal-Mart can you find the Devcon - MA-310? I have looked our local store over and could not find it?

Feb 19, 2008
hardware section

among the caulk I think . . . don't really remember. It was where I expected it to be, was easy to find. john

C

crazy dave

large area

If it is a large area, then emerse the glass in with the devcon as it will give strength. Bondo is not a good idea to use. Been there and done it. I have reparied many 170's

E

Edwin

Re: Large area

I tried to saturate a small strip of fiberglass, per Hunter's instructions, with Devcon but what a mess. The Devcon is pretty thick stuff and trying to coat the fiberglass looked like a Little Rascals episode. Any tips there? On the Bondo does it not adhere to the plastic and pop off? I used some on my transom but mainly over the fiberglass to smooth out - so far so good. At WalMart the Devcon is also called Plastic Welder. The ahrdware area is close, look for other two-part epoxys and Crazy Glue. The applicator is like a double syringe.

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 340 St Andrews Bay
Insurance adjuster

And after you talk to your insurance adjuster, let us know if they agree with Hunter or provide you with a repair estimate.

E

Edwin

More pictures David?

Go for it David. Do you have any more pictures you could post that we could look at? The motor mount looks tough but I'm like you, I'd give it a shot. I've got pictures of my transom repair using fiberglass, so-far so-good but I'm heeding Crazy Dave's bondo warning on my new repair.

Dec 31, 1969
- - -
More pictures

Oh yes, I have more and will post as time (as well as space, memory of where they are) is available. I just wish that I was still living in Breckinridge County. I would be on your doorstep in a heart beat. David

Dec 31, 1969
- - -
And a third

Now this is only one example of several cracks which have appeared from last fall to this spring prior to my disaster. I can't see with my poor eyesight, but from this photo, it seems that someone has repaired it before as the camera catches the two different colors. Ah ha! This tells me something!!! Are these the cracks that everyone is talking about? Or do I have some strange disease? Any suggestions? David

Apr 16, 2008
Hunter 23.5 Miami
Plastic boat epoxy

I have no experience with APC, but I just used a newish epoxy from West called "g-flex" to fiberglass patch a polypropylene Escape sailboat. Previously, nothing much would stick to it. So far, it's holding up fine. Just thought I'd throw it in, sorry if it doesn't apply.

E

Edwin

ACP Repair

I posted the ACP repair that I got from Hunter on the Boat Info link for the 170. Look in repairs. I can email you pictures of some of my repair work. What I've seen so far doesn't look too bad. The motor mount will be a bugger but doable. The cloth they refer to is fiberglass cloth. On my starboard side I had the upper boatworks develope a crack most of the way down the rubrail where it is glued to the hull. Much like your picture. I filled that space between the rubrail and upper works with fiberglass resin and it has held up pretty well. You will need an electric sander but other than that you can get all this stuff at Walmart.

C

Crazy dave condon

Repariable

David; Your boat can be reparied. Eurospeacilties in Roanoke can do it. If you have insurance on the boat, go to them and ask for Jon Griesenbeck. He has repaired the serious ones for me. It is only a 2 1/ hour drive for you. Be careful when crossing into VA on Rt 460 as the VA town cop is notorious for speed trap. Please listen to me as I know what I am talking about. The phone number is 540-343-7955. I use to travel in them thar hills for years adjusting claims. The first high rise parking garage built was in Welch. I was in grundy in 1977 during the 500 year flood. The last time in a coal mine, I was told I had to go inside to see why two were killed. Very little roof support, methane monitors tampered and the flow of air was not even installed. As I was coming out, the roof collapsed in low coal. I was under for 36 hours. I pray very hard when I hear of a cave in. We had less than an hour of air left when they dragged my carcus out. I even know of Jolo Church of God. Had to go in there on a claim. Famous snake handling church which I want no part of.

C

crazy dave

dealer

I use to be the Hunter dealer in North Carolina until a year ago stocking all the boats from small thru the 45 center cockpit. In 2006, I had top sales awards in all categories. Hunter and I parted ways and "thats all folks" on this issue. They do build excellent boats and I was saddened when we left as I really do miss them.

D

Dale

Dealer

Id say we've met than It was over a year ago I stopped in out there on what 39 or 93 and 264.

J

Jack h23.5

David..

You may be covered by your homeowners insurance. If the wind blew the boat off the trailer, then it should be covered by damage to your personal property due to windstorm. I would call your agent to ask before trying to fix it. But if they say no, I would get a second opinion from another office first. If nothing works out then you are going to have to do more than just fill and paint. If you can get it to stick, 2 or 3 layers of glass up the side and the edge should rebuild the strength to that area.

Dec 31, 1969
- - -
Thanks

I just called Eurospeacilties in Roanoke and was told the last repair on something like this was $3000. Homeowners? I live in a parsonage (aka vicarage, rectory, manse) and don't have homeowners (nor do I own a home.) Renter's insurance only covers what is physically inside the house, not boats at the lake. Kyle at Hunter wrote, "My recommendation would be to remove the rail,(How?) you will need to locate the seam/ split on the transom and try to pull it off, It is bonded well to the deck and hull flange so you may have to shave it off with a razor knife, remove the flange area if broken completely from the side of the boat, if it is still intact to the hull or deck sides that will make for a easier repair." After my phonecall to Roanoke, I called Hunter and ordered a new rubrail. I guess it is up to me. Wish me luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.