Trouble tacking in light wind no jib

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It was a good example of a saggy main and newer jib. We ended up just reefing the main and our boat leveled out.
That doesn't sound right. Photoman is taking about the boat heeling to windward. Small boat, light air, two grown-ups on the windward side.
You sound like you are describing too much lift going into heeling force from an overly deep camber of a stretched out sail. At least that's how I read it.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
That doesn't sound right. Photoman is taking about the boat heeling to windward. Small boat, light air, two grown-ups on the windward side.
You sound like you are describing too much lift going into heeling force from an overly deep camber of a stretched out sail. At least that's how I read it.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Oh my bad, I did read it wrong... yeah we had too much lift. New mainsail fixed it for whatever it is worth.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
On the 170 it heels a bit and she is not ready for that
The 170 is sensitive to wieght, so it is also sensitive to sail area. Honestly, i reef at anything over 10kt. Yet, i wont go out unless wind is over 8kt. Soo...i hardly ever sail without the reef.

That reef will be the best upgrade you can get for the 170.

Our first time out was with just the jib and it worked ok but we didnt have good luck up wind. Between the huge amount of hull and terrible sail balance, i had no choice but to hoist mainsail to get back to the boat ramp.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
No offense but you are now learning the difference between a real sailboat and one no so much, from your previous experience.
Sailing small boats is the best way to become a proficient sailor. Your crew weight is really considered "ballast" and its placement, (fore and aft, side to side,) dramatically affects your boat's sailing characteristics.

If it is possible, can I suggest dropping the mainsail entirely and try sailing JIB only. You will certainly be able to tack with just the jib and your crew will get the feel of handling the sail without stressing about the boat heeling too much.

It is also very good practice to switch jobs, let her steer and you handle the sails..... I do that all the time on my boat.... You'd be surprised how much confidence that will instill....

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
One other cool benefit of always using the jib on the 170 is heaving to.

Backwind the jib or tack without changing the jib sheet. Let out the main and the turn tiller as if tacking again. Hold in tiller in place.

The 170 will stop and drift slowly. We do this regularly for snacks or getting lines untangled.

When ready to go just change jib sheet straigten rudder then start pulling in main.

Attachments

Jun 18, 2016
Macgregor 26X Petoskey
All great advice and thank you for the clear steps. It helped tremendously. We have been having a blast as we both settle in to the 170 style. Thanks again