Trivia that moves you to share

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I just unloaded on @Justin_NSA a bit of trivia about a Black and Tan.

This fostered the brain fart to start this thread where you can share your choice of trivial ideas.

Lets keep it near boating concepts... But what ever... We can at the least go until the Bots spring out and get us... Maybe if we all run in random directions the bots will be too confused...

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Well, I have to ask about "Black and Tan" . Some where I picked up the tid bit that you should not order a Black & Tan in Ireland or in "Real" Irish pubs, but a Half & Half. Black & Tan calls up memories of the Royal Irish Constabulary, aka Black & Tans, who were a rather controversial force. Having no direct Irish ancestors, I don't know. I have asked friends and been told it is absolutely true and that it absolute B S. So if we are on trivia, I'd appreciate any insight on the subject. The relation to sailing is tenuous, I usually stock Guinness in the ice box, but frequently drink Yuengling Black & Tan at home. I don't keep any on the boat for fear of offending.

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Thanks! Just to be on the safe side, maybe you should ask for a 'Alf n 'Alf first and then ask the question? ;-)

Oct 22, 2014
@lillia28 Supporting your post there is this Irish ditty..
Come Out Ye Black and Tans

I was born on a Dublin street where the royal drums did beat
And the loving English feet walked all over us,
And every single night when me father’d come home tight
He’d invite the neighbors outside with this chorus:

(chorus) Oh, come out you black and tans,
Come out and fight me like a man
Show your wife how you won medals down in Flanders
Tell her how the IRA made you run like hell away,
From the green and lovely lanes in Killeshandra.

Oct 22, 2014
@lillia28 I would be pleased to be invited to inspect your boat for a Guinness during a day of sailing. It is my beer of choice, though I find that the folk here in the PacNW have been spoiled by their Hop laden IPA's.

Interesting, now that Guinness has introduced their "Blonde" (doesn't everyone know Irish girls are red heads..,)
upload_2018-3-28_11-10-27.jpeg

they are now promoting the Black and Blonde.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
The best pirate shanty what was ever sung o're the home of Davy Jones.

This one is the Gilmore family song:
My daughter knew this song before she was six.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
You guys need to step up to alcohol. Rum, tequila and rye, not in the same drink but some real hooch at least. :stir:

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
You guys need to step up to alcohol. Rum, tequila and rye, not in the same drink but some real hooch at least. :stir:
Wait a minute! Beer does have alcohol in it. Maybe not as much but...Beer is God's way of telling us He loves us and wants us to be happy. :dancing::dancing::dancing:

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'll bring the Yuengling!
Undisclosed so far to this forum is that my parents and grandparents and one great grandparent are buried yards away from Augusta Yuengling in the Barber cemetery in Pottsville PA where the oldest brewery in the country was founded. Also nearby is Jack Quinn who is considered the the oldest MLB pitcher to date. He was a spitballer and my father's great uncle.

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Undisclosed so far to this forum is that my parents and grandparents and one great grandparent are buried yards away from Augusta Yuengling in the Barber cemetery in Pottsville PA where the oldest brewery in the country was founded. Also nearby is Jack Quinn who is considered the the oldest MLB pitcher to date. He was a spitballer and my father's great uncle.
Yuengling is my go to beer on draft if there is no craft beer that I like available.
As an aside: @Phil Herring, how about a beer drinking emoji?