Trip planning, first three weeks of August

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Tartan 3700 Seattle - Elliot Bay
Hey all,

Looking for some feedback or suggestions for the first three weeks of August out of Seattle.

Tentatively, I'm planning to leave Seattle Thursday, July 28, or Friday, July 29, to Port Townsend and then to Friday Harbor for a wedding on Sunday (not in the wedding but wanted to visit some friends so if the weather doesn't cooperate, not a big deal.) From there I wanted to spend the week making my way up to Vancouver to pick up a friend on Friday, August 5. The following week I want to explore the Vancouver area and make my way back toward Roche or Friday Harbor for another crew change on August 15 or 16, and then the rest of the time head back to Seattle by Sunday, August 21, so I can...ugh...go back to work on Monday.

I've been to the San Juans a handful of times and the southern Gulf Islands once, so I want to revisit a few favorite places...Watmough, Doe Bay, Rosario, Sucia (or Matia or Patos but with a 6.5 ft draft those aren't looking that great), Sidney Spit, Russell Island, etc.

I'm primarily looking for suggestions on routes to and from Vancouver from either the San Juans or the Gulf Islands (went as far north as Montague last time but never further) or maybe some advice on whether it's worth going as far as Vancouver. I've been there dozens of times but never by water so not sure if it's worth the trek. I'm only familiar with the general city area, so my plans would probably look something like anchor at Kitsilano, stay in False Creek, go under the Lions Gate Bridge to Coal Harbour, etc. I'd really like to go to Smuggler Cove but that may add too much time for one stop.

Also, any advice on the fog would be great...I don't have radar and not sure I could get it installed and be comfortable with it by trip time. Is it worse in some places than others? Does it usually clear up? I've been fogged for the morning a couple times but it's always cleared up...but that was in July so I don't know how different I should expect it to be.

Anyway, suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Also, any advice on the fog would be great.
You do know they call August Fogust, right? :)

Your trip sounds great. If you're going all the way to Vancouver, you might want to consider visiting Howe Sound.

Have a great time. I'm sure other more "local" skippers will chime in on more details of routing and other places to see.

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
You do know they call August Fogust, right? :)
I do! That's what worries me a bit! I wanted to do July but that didn't work out this year...wah, wah.

Howe Sound could be cool. I've only seen it from the road to Whistler.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Don't know what your interests are in cruising but if you plan to visit Vancouver in August, here are a few thoughts:
1. There are very few anchorages around Vancouver. However, one of the most beautiful, sheltered and good ground is Port Graves at Gambier Island ............
DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

2. Bowen Island offers a Marina in Snug Cove and the Island is well worth exploring if you're into the arts ...................

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

3. You can sail into False Creek in Vancouver and dock at Granville Island for two hours free moorage and explore the markets. False Creek offers city controlled anchorage for a small fee. Interesting but busy with small ferry traffic and boats coming and going from the numerous marinas in False Creek. No transient moorage.

4. There is no fog in the Vancouver and Howe Sound areas in the summer. This is reserved for the the West Coast of Vancouver Island and areas well north Vancouver.

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Thanks for the info Ralph. Port Graves and Snug Cove are not places I'd considered but both look like great options.

Nov 18, 2013
Catalina 310 Campbell River
From Vancouver you can go to Nanaimo from there to the Gulf Islands via Dods Narrows. At the north end of the gulf islands you have Clam Bay, Ladysmith, Maple Bay, Thetis Island and other spots along the way. Just check with Waggoner Cruising Guide for all the locations as you could spend 3 weeks just in this area.

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Thanks Leo, those look like great spots as well. It looks like a lot of logging activity in the northern Gulf Islands, is there any reason or need to be more careful than normal in that area?

Nov 18, 2013
Catalina 310 Campbell River
the only place is before north end of dods that has log booms other wise normal watch out. If you belong to a yacht club check to see if you have reciprocals at some of these locations.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Current trip plan for my son and his family when they arrive from Texas:
1. July 2; Watmaugh Bay.
2. July 3; Fishermans Bay.
3. July 4; Fishermans Bay fireworks.
5. July 5; Lime Kiln to spot Orcas, hopefully.
6. July 6; Roche Harbor.
7. July 7; Matia (Mahteeah).
8. July 8; Sucia (Soosha).
8. July 9; open.

Trip report to follow.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Make your way northwest from Friday Harbor though the Gulf Islands, stopping at various places, e.g., Bedwell Harbour (Canadian customs), Ganges Harbour, Thetis Island, to Naniamo; sail across the Strait of Georgia to Vancouver; go up False Creek as mentioned and visit Granville Island but stay overnight if you can. If not sticking around Vancouver long, sail on to Halkett Bay at the southeastern tip of Gambier Island in Howe Sound. On a good day (NW wind) sail back SSE across the Strait and through Porlier Pass at Galiano Island, then through the Swanson Channel, across the Haro Strait, and on into Roche Harbor (US Customs).

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hi Forbin, Seattle to Port Townsend is a bit of hike in a day unless you want to motor dawn to dusk. If you prefer anchoring over marina life here are some options. Rather than Port Townsend the first day consider Kingston. Nice marina, but also a good anchorage close to the marina. Leave Seattle early on the ebb.

Kingston to Point Wilson the next day depending on the wind. Again early on the ebb. Point Wilson to the west side of San Juan Island to maybe observe Orca whales frolicking near Lime Kiln. Garrison Bay through Mosquito Pass near Roche Harbor a very nice anchorage. Roche Harbor also a good anchorage, but crowded at times. Evening ceremony very nice and good food in town.

Cross Haro on the flood to clear at Bedwell. Depending upon your clear time, head north Swansons channel on the flood to Ganges. Saturday is Farmers Market day, well worth the time. Anchorage okay but crowded in the summer. I always find a spot on the east side of the bay. Annette Inlet a couple of miles away an alternative. Quiet, small and serene.

From Ganges you can head north on the flood up Trincomali Channel, through Dodd Narrows to Nanaimo or east through Active Pass across Georgia Strait to Vancouver. I'll take Nanaimo over Vancouver any day. Wednesday is Dingy Dock Pub race day, start and finish line at the Pub. Good anchorage in Mark bay, but it can get crowded. Nanaimo museum worth the visit.

Or, rather than cross Haro to BC, you can follow the flood through President Channel to Sucia or Matia. More room in Echo Bay and a good anchorage. It can be difficult to find dock space in Matia or the two mooring balls. No place to anchor. Lots of options to the south in US waters.

Just a few thoughts.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Nice route, Terry-- but the OP wants to be in Friday Harbor on Sunday for a wedding after leaving Seattle on Thursday or Friday. You evidently have him going up the west side of San Juan Island on Sunday or Monday.:what: If a NW wind, exiting Active Pass puts him near a close-hauled course to Vancouver; exiting Nanaimo puts him on broad reach w/ the apparent wind likely abeam. Northwesterly summer winds can blow 20 kt or more. IMHO--it's a much better plan to visit Nanaimo and scoot across from there. As you say, Nanaimo is a very nice stop; shouldn't miss it.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Nice route, Terry-- but the OP wants to be in Friday Harbor on Sunday for a wedding after leaving Seattle on Thursday or Friday. You evidently have him going up the west side of San Juan Island on Sunday or Monday.:what: If a NW wind, exiting Active Pass puts him near a close-hauled course to Vancouver; exiting Nanaimo puts him on broad reach w/ the apparent wind likely abeam. Northwesterly summer winds can blow 20 kt or more. IMHO--it's a much better plan to visit Nanaimo and scoot across from there. As you say, Nanaimo is a very nice stop; shouldn't miss it.
Thanks for the commentary. As he said, "then to Friday Harbor for a wedding on Sunday (not in the wedding but wanted to visit some friends so if the weather doesn't cooperate, not a big deal.)" so, it seems he has many choices, just wanted to expose other alternatives that he had perhaps wanted to consider. :poke::poke:

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Thanks for the commentary. As he said, "then to Friday Harbor for a wedding on Sunday (not in the wedding but wanted to visit some friends so if the weather doesn't cooperate, not a big deal.)" so, it seems he has many choices, just wanted to expose other alternatives that he had perhaps wanted to consider. :poke::poke:
Yeah--if the OP does not really care that much whether or not he gets to Friday Harbor on Sunday, then it doesn't really matter which side of SJ Island he passes on his way to Canada.:rolleyes:

Jan 28, 2015
Tartan 30 Anacortes, WA
I just finished doing such a trip last week. My ports of call:
Matia Island
Garrison Bay (on San Juan Island)
Roche Harbor
Sidney (checked into Canadian customs there)
Sidney Spit
Montague Harbour
Princess Inlet on Wallace Island
Nanaimo (via Porlier Pass and around the outside of the islands)
Snug Cove on Bowen Island (free government dock!)
Point Roberts (checked back through US Customes there)
Patos Island
Rosario on Orcas Island

Couple things to consider:
Many of the anchorages require stern ties in addition to anchor. Make sure you have the equipment and knowledge to do this.
Lots of ferry and ship traffic. You don't need radar, but an AIS receiver is almost essential for dodging ships, and they're pretty cheap..

Have fun! I know that whole area quite well, done multiple trips through the San Juans and the Gulfs. PM me if you have questions or need further advice.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I just finished doing such a trip last week. My ports of call:

Princess Inlet on Wallace Island

Couple things to consider:
Many of the anchorages require stern ties in addition to anchor. Make sure you have the equipment and knowledge to do this..
Yeah--the first time we spent the night at Princess Inlet was a night to remember. We arrived late in the afternoon, so all of the "berths" were taken except the next-to-the-last one near the opening. There, in the inlet, one must anchor with the bower out in the narrow fairway, and then back into a "berth" where you then tie a stern line to a metal ring on shore (if still there), or something, to haul the boat back toward shore. Of course, someone has to be in the dinghy ready to carry the stern line ashore, plus scramble up the rocks to the ring, etc. It's better to use an "endless" line that loops through the ring and back to the boat. Because the tide can run rather swiftly past the berths (at right angle, nearly), the biggest worry is dragging the bower sideways due to lateral pressure on the keel. That night we could hear the water rushing under the boat, plus there was some wind from nearly the same direction. Near mid-night my wife woke me up to say that she could see the mast of the boat next to us through the hatch over head. Sure enough, when I peeked out we were dragging into the boat on our starboard. This set off a round of pandemonium where I tried to get the CHARTER boat we were on out away from the boat under us and haul up our anchor. Our rented dinghy on a painter behind kept fouling his rode so after a couple of tries I cast the dinghy off and watched as it blew away toward the cul-de-sac and beach at the end of the inlet. We finally got out and started hauling up the anchor when the skipper of the boat that had been next to us shouted that we were pulling his anchor too. Sure enough, after much tugging by me and my crew, we raised our plow anchor with his chain caught under it:oops:, but which thankfully dropped away while our anchor was still hanging over the side. After getting free, I re-anchored on short scope in the middle of the fairway until morning. By that time, however, I mean every boat in the inlet had its lights on and motor started!! I was definitely embarrassed:redface:--but no one said or shouted an unkind or critical word to us "tourists" from the States. The next morning, standing on deck with coffee cup in hand, pondering what to do about the dink, some fellow shouted to me from shore saying that he had seen my dink on the beach at the end of the inlet, and offered to come out and fetch me over to it, which he did. On the way to it he evinced some modest praise about my having the "balls" to cut it free to escape further disaster. I admitted, however, that I knew it would eventually blow onto the beach, so the risk of actually losing it was not that great. We returned to Princess Inlet on our charter in 2013; similar issues with anchoring, but this time we stayed put the whole night!:biggrin:Just have to remember that the folks there already when you arrive probably do not have the bower lying straight out from the boat's bow, but likely have it angled some toward the opening of the inlet. If you anchor outboard of them (i.e., on the opening side), you might have to do the same to prevent fouling.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2015
Tartan 30 Anacortes, WA
Good story Kings. While my anchoring and stern tying in Princess Inlet wasn't nearly as dramatic, it was the first time I've ever done that single handed. It was a bit nerve wracking abandoning the boat after anchoring to kayak to shore with the stern line and tie the boat off, but all went well, no carnage, and I had a nice peaceful night.

forbin

Nov 4, 2013
Wow, thanks for the great information! I hate to complain, but it's hard to plan a long-ish trip because we have so many options in the PNW!

You're correct that I don't have to stop in Friday Harbor but I will probably give it a go. I don't mind motoring all day to make it happen...it wouldn't be the first time...but we'll see how it goes. Last time I did it to Port Townsend it rained the entire way with absolutely no wind and then cleared up immediately after docking.

I definitely want to at least pass through the Lime Kiln area, I've yet to see an Orca, so even if I go inside on the way up I'll try to make that part of the trip on the way back.

I planned to skip Nanaimo entirely but it sounds like it's a good place to stop so depending on weather/timing I could skip Vancouver and stick to Nanaimo and south.

@Kings - good story, glad it turned out well, and hopefully I don't have the same experience! I do have stern tie equipment ready, 400 feet of floating poly line on a spool, but I've never had to do it yet. I probably won't even attempt it if I'm by myself but hopefully there will be at least one other person most of the trip.

Anyway, thanks again, I have even more options to ponder now.

Brian

Dec 25, 2000
Yeah--the first time we spent the night at Princess Inlet was a night to remember. We arrived late in the afternoon, so all of the "berths" were taken except the next-to-the-last one near the opening. There, in the inlet, one must anchor with the bower out in the narrow fairway, and then back into a "berth" where you then tie a stern line to a metal ring on shore (if
Ouch. That experience sounds painful. Would not wish that on anyone. Similar situation happened to me last year in Princess. Never again will I shore tie there in a blow. Not as serious as you experienced, but in order to correct our situation I anchored out without a shore tie. Even though I had a good set, the abeam pressure from the blow caused the anchor to creep.

Forbin, looking forward to a cruise report when you return.