Traveler Solution for an H26/H260

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Traveler2.JPG
Traveler.JPG
Hey All:

Today was a watershed day. If you have seen my earlier posts on the H26, you may be aware that I have lamented the lack of a traveler on the H26. I had plans to build a removable traveler but today I found the solution. Damn if it didn't work perfectly. And the best part is that it costs NOTHING and does not require any modifications to the sailboat.

So here is what happened ... we were pointing as high as we could to avoid a shoal marker... and remembering that if I simply grabbed the main sheet block lines and hauled them over, the boat could point a little better.... but my arms got tired so I grabbed the sail tie and used it like a barber hauler and was able to move the boom to mid-cockpit. Damn the boat picked up speed and flattened out noticeably. Everyone on the boat (6 of us) noticed the "jump" in the boat's performance. In addition to moving the boom to mid-ship, it also flattened the sail. See photos.

All you need is some sort of line with a loop in it. loop it around the main sheet (see photos) and bring the line to the windward winch. Crank and enjoy the ride.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
While an interesting way to demonstrate the positive effect of moving your traveler above the centerline to help get your boom to the centerline without closing the leach, it’s not practical at all as a working solution.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I like it. While Jackdaw is probably right, i can see that with a little engineering and imagination, a practical application of that idea could result. Maybe even become commercially viable. My biggest concern is getting around it to move in and out of the companionway. I was just on a thread the other day about water getting trapped between the companionway and the traveler that ran across it's threshold. How awkward is that? Maybe attach it higher, run the sheet through a piece of PVC suspended just below the pulley and attach the control lines a little farther aft to a couple of cam cleats. :)
- Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
While an interesting way to demonstrate the positive effect of moving your traveler above the centerline .....
There is NO traveler on the H26....that is my issue
I’m not a racer so for me it is practicle ... I simply ran the end of the hauled around the winch and then back to the cleat. Tied it off and enjoyed the improvement in my boats performance

Today was great! At one point I had a reef in the main, 30%of the Genoa rolled up and we still were at 15% heel and my new hauler system let me keep my boat on her feet.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I’m not a racer so for me it is practicle ... I simply ran the end of the hauled around the winch and then back to the cleat. Tied it off and enjoyed the improvement in my boats performance

Today was great! At one point I had a reef in the main, 30%of the Genoa rolled up and we still were at 15% heel and my new hauler system let me keep my boat on her feet.
I know no traveler. ;-) I’ve looked at one with a friend with the thought of adding a traveler. No dice. Hunter doesn’t want you to do that.

If you do try and create outhaulers for your mainsheet, find ways to make it easy to adjust under load, and reduce friction.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I like the ingenuity and it worked for your situation. Can't beat that. Nice!

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Using that cabin top winch makes lots of sense. I like it. That idea would have helped us when we had our Mac 26D, but we would have needed to install something to anchor it to.

Ken

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
I’m not a racer so for me it is practicle
If that works for you, Great! I too tried all sorts of solutions on my 2007 H25, including yours. At the end of the day though, nothing beats a real traveler to get the boom to center line, maintain sail shape and quickly de-power when necessary. Last year, I bit the bullet and installed a Barton detachable mainsheet system. The beauty of this system is of course the quick removal when one is at anchor entertaining. Installation was relatively straight forward.
small.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I like the detachable part. I have also seen travelers that arch over the companionway hatch. But then you need excessive boom clearance. One of the nice thing about a traveler is the ability to vang the boom without a separate vang. rgranger's system should also have that effect. A separate vang takes a lot of pressure off the traveler though.
-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Knowing the construction of the 2007 H 25, not sure what is meant as detachable. Are you saying the traveler itself or only the block? If installed just remember that you have to be careful stepping over it in the cockpit and to remind folks of that. My concern is the attachment of the bolts going thru the fiberglass seats. Why? Is there a dead air space between the exterior cockpit seat and ceiling liner? If so, did you make allowances when tightening down on the nut inside. If you did and found the ceiling liner pulled inward, you need to repair that. Feel free to contact me.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Jackdaw Thank you sir for that photo. It helps. what really prompted a reply from me is how it is attached with the possibility of a ceiling liner being pulled inward.

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
hank you sir for that photo. It helps. what really prompted a reply
My concern is the attachment of the bolts going thru the fiberglass seats. Why? Is there a dead air space between the exterior cockpit seat and ceiling liner? If so, did you make allowances when tightening down on the nut inside. If you did and found the ceiling liner pulled inward, you need to repair that. Feel free to contact me.
Dave, rest assured the ends of the traveler are attached to the seat back securely. I first cut out a small rectangular hole through the liner to gain access to the interior cavity. This gave me room to install backing plates to bolt the traveler end brackets into. Both the exterior and interior mounting plates needed careful shaping to match the curves on the seat back. Once the brackets were bolted in place, the liner cutouts were re-attached using teak trim.

Last edited: