Registered users don't see ads

Traveler pully replacement

Discussion in 'Catalina 30' started by thwilson, May 11, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. thwilson

thwilson

Joined Jul 6, 2010
    4 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 30
    US Bainbridge Island, WA
    I have an 86 Catalina 30 and the two pulleys on each side need replacing. They are held in place with rivets instead of screws.
    Do I have to drill out the rivets or are there screws at the bottom?
    Thanks in advance, Tom

2. LeslieTroyer

LeslieTroyer

Joined May 20, 2016
    1,518 posts, 472 likes
    Catalina 36 MK1
    US Everett, WA
    Mine were riveted - got a new Garhauer traveler. What an improvement.

Les

3. mortyd

mortyd

Joined Dec 11, 2004
    936 posts, 12 likes
    Catalina 30
    US easy living
    when i got my garhauer traveler they also gave me a deal on a new mainsheet. they both made wonderful differences.

4. jssailem

jssailem

Joined Oct 22, 2014
    5,214 posts, 1,659 likes
    CAL 35 Cruiser
    US Salem, Moored Port Everett WA
    Tom.
    They are likely rivets. Drilling them out will let you remove the sheave. But this may be a false savings and finding replacements may be difficult.
    What you are describing is a "block". More specifically a "cheek turning block".
    You can find replacements for turning blocks
    https://www.google.com/search?q=che...rZiIPbAhVDKGMKHUEbCqIQsAQIJg&biw=1408&bih=685
    But you may find that the design of the present traveler is more the issue than a single block.
    That is why @LeslieTroyer and @mortyd suggest the Garhauer traveler (https://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=34).
    Better design and better materials used.

Great question, only like so many the path to solution is often a deep rabbit hole with a boat.
    Good luck.

Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
20% OFF innovative boat clips!
FixClip holds laundry, tools, anything to rails and life lines even in strong winds.