Transom thickness? for installing a ladder on Hunter 23

Nov 9, 2017
Hunter 23 857 Hendersonville
Desire to mount a ladder on transom. SS with a small teak platform. Have to mount 4 bolts.

Does anyone know the thickness of transom as have to come very close with bolts " several inches" with 2 of the bolts from the bottom on the farthest starboard side so the platform ladder will clear rudder.

Was just going to drill holes and thread bolts thru ladder than thru hull with a backing plate sealer and nuts.
Any help appreciated or other mounting ideas. Thanks Scott

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Where you end up mounting the ladder you will need to spread the load inside with a large mounting plate. You could use marine ply but strong suggest stainless steel

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I recently replaced a damaged swim ladder/platform on my 23. The transom fiberglass is roughly 1/4 in (I'd estimate no more than 1/2) - not too thick. Look at the inside of the transom from your lazarette or using the round access port if you have one, and see where the holes will be. On mine, the PO had installed stern rails, and the installer used 2x4 as backing plate, which backed the lower hole of the stern rail and also served as backing for the upper/outboard platform tube. I ended up having to get a longer bolt for the platform, as I did not realize that the 2x4 also backed the railing when I did my planning.
If you don't have anything back there already, figure about 1/4 in plus the thickness of the flange on the platform (like 1/8) plus whatever backing you use. The 2x4's on mine (also used to back the engine mount) seem to be fine, and are high enough that they have not gotten any rot from water in the lazarette.
I used butyl rubber to seal - I like it for pure sealing, where no adhesive is needed.