Has any one installed a "clamshell" cover over the fuel tank vent opening
in transom? Seems like good idea to keep water from entering fuel
tank when washing boat or any other type of water exposure to that
area.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEANTOO
San Jose, CA
A much better idea is either a P-trap or other devise built for this purpose...

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/90--P-Trap-Fuel-Tank-Vent

... or a nice high loop, up under the combing, is also a proven method.

and while you're at it, vent filters will keep even the humidity out:

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2012/11/gasoline-and-fuel-tank-vent-filters.html

and check the fill cap for a worn o-ring too; this is probably the leading cause of water in the gasoline or fuel.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Are you having problems with water in your fuel? If not, why fix something that is not broken?

The way that our vent caps are faced you would have to intentionally spray water into it. I am hull #65 and have not had a problem in the 3 years we have owned the boat. The previous owner never reported a problem. I regularly clean that area of the boat and don't have water in my tank.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I had a big problem with this and installed a trap with a clear bottle, and sure enough there was water in the bottle.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Are you having problems with water in your fuel? If not, why fix something that is not broken?

The way that our vent caps are faced you would have to intentionally spray water into it. I am hull #65 and have not had a problem in the 3 years we have owned the boat. The previous owner never reported a problem. I regularly clean that area of the boat and don't have water in my tank.
I do not have problem (yet knock on wood) with water in my fuel supply. Reason for
question am installing over flow alarm in vent line and noticed no loop in line. In addition
looking at stern and remembering my girlfriend spraying with hose to clean thought she
might have directed some water into that area and down into tank. My vent area does not
have "cap" simply opening with small donut fitting around it. Thanks for replies.

Clyde Thorington

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I do not have problem (yet knock on wood) with water in my fuel supply. Reason for
question am installing over flow alarm in vent line and noticed no loop in line. In addition
looking at stern and remembering my girlfriend spraying with hose to clean thought she
might have directed some water into that area and down into tank. My vent area does not
have "cap" simply opening with small donut fitting around it. Thanks for replies.

Clyde Thorington
That vent opening doesn't sound like a factory installed part. My hull is #231, and it has a clamshell cover, with the opening facing downward. No water issues in the fuel. Also, I'm not sure Catalina recommends a loop in the vent line. Mine had some dips that trapped liquid, and I had to straighten the vent line. It's possible the cover fell off your vent.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
In the original factory install, the fuel vent will look just like the waste tank vent in the same area. (or the water tank vent in the anchor locker)

If your seeing a "Donut" I believe the metal cap with the screen in it has fallen off your line.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
In the original factory install, the fuel vent will look just like the waste tank vent in the same area. (or the water tank vent in the anchor locker)

If your seeing a "Donut" I believe the metal cap with the screen in it has fallen off your line.

Thanks all for your thoughts. Will check out your comments. Much appreciated.

Clyde Thorington
C310 #245
ILEANTOO
San Jose, CA

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Clydo

Pictures of my fuel vent system.

paulj :troll:
Paul - great pics. Are those covers over your vents factory install? Thats the type of thing
I was thinking of doing. What is the small
vent below the two larger? My 2003 does not have that. Thanks again.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEANTOO
San Jose, CA

Aug 24, 2009
Clydo

Pictures of my fuel vent system.

paulj :troll:

Clydo,

Here is a photo of my stern and vent system. The clam shell cover is the blower vent. The two smaller silver vents are the head holding tank vent, and the fuel tank vent.

Russ

Attachments

Aug 24, 2009
Paul,

Do you vent the holding tank along with the line that is your power head vent? (only ask in that your little holding tank vest is missing in he photos.

Russ