Transmission locks in forward

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Catalina C310 SF Bay/Delta
Anyone have problem like mine with transmission in my 2013 C310 Hurth ZF5M now and then
locking in forward gear? Really locks. Usually happens when have to fairly quickly go from
forward to reverse and back again maybe several times. Thought would first
measure travel on control cable to tranny. Next remove compass and check
lever to see if hanging up somewhere. Then disconnect cables to tranny and move
quickly by hand forward and reverse. When normal operation - fairly slow
movement - no trouble at all. About 480 hours on eng/tranny. Usually when
docking in cross wind cross current conditions so rpms vary with wind and current.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I had a similar problem and found that the shift lever on the transmission case was being fouled by another loose cable in the engine bay. Your troubleshooting process should get you the answer. ID and get the install instructions for the transmission control, that is where the magic happens.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I have no clue other than the process you described of quickly shifting between forward and reverse puts an undue strain on the plate and clutch if done before the prop has a chance to slow down. What kind of maneuver requires that?

Clydo

May 28, 2013
I have no clue other than the process you described of quickly shifting between forward and reverse puts an undue strain on the plate and clutch if done before the prop has a chance to slow down. What kind of maneuver requires that?
Slip narrow finger each side. Beam (cross wind) 30 plus knots, cross current. Try to get enough speed to enter
slip not get speared end of either finger, not too much power to get too acquainted with end of slip. Sometimes
interesting things happen. Naturally rule of thumb enter slowly no fast maneuver required.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
I LEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Hurth manual says put engine speed at idle and shift quickly. When I had the same problem it was because the po sheared off the set screw on the housing for the shift lever allowing the lever to move laterally and hit the chain sprocket.

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Anyone have problem like mine with transmission in my 2013 C310 Hurth ZF5M now and then
locking in forward gear? Really locks. Usually happens when have to fairly quickly go from
forward to reverse and back again maybe several times. Thought would first
measure travel on control cable to tranny. Next remove compass and check
lever to see if hanging up somewhere. Then disconnect cables to tranny and move
quickly by hand forward and reverse. When normal operation - fairly slow
movement - no trouble at all. About 480 hours on eng/tranny. Usually when
docking in cross wind cross current conditions so rpms vary with wind and current.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA
Mystery solved. Finally had chance to look at cable end near tranny. Cable clamped at end
of two inch flat stock bolted to tranny. Sheath covers cable end and end of rod which
has some movement available. Other end of rod connected to lever on side of tranny which
shifts "gears." Rod had somehow dropped down at times so when in Forward gear there was an impossible
angle for the cable to pull lever back to neutral which created the "locking" situation. By pushing middle of rod up correct angle was obtained and no "locking" occurred. My mechanic's solution is to glue block of wood to bilge under
rod -still allow free movement - so will all times be at proper angle. Am still pondering his solution. Think
might be better way.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA

Clydo

May 28, 2013
Mystery solved. Finally had chance to look at cable end near tranny. Cable clamped at end
of two inch flat stock bolted to tranny. Sheath covers cable end and end of rod which
has some movement available. Other end of rod connected to lever on side of tranny which
shifts "gears." Rod had somehow dropped down at times so when in Forward gear there was an impossible
angle for the cable to pull lever back to neutral which created the "locking" situation. By pushing middle of rod up correct angle was obtained and no "locking" occurred. My mechanic's solution is to glue block of wood to bilge under
rod -still allow free movement - so will all times be at proper angle. Am still pondering his solution. Think
might be better way.

Clyde Thorington
C310 # 245
ILEAN TOO
San Jose, CA
Correction - mechanics solution was to glue block of wood to bilge under lever (something like a rudder
stop) to prevent too much lever movement and still keep totally in gear engagement.