transducer mounting

Apr 6, 2014
catalina capri 18 carlyle lake, il
will a transducer for a depthfinder work if mounted in the bilge of my c18? where have others mounted theirs?

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
I mounted the transducer puck under the companionway on our Capri-18. I attached some photos of the finished job. It requires removing some of the flotation, which is not as easy as it sounds. The tranducer was epoxied into the bottom of the hull and far enough behind the keel so it wouldn't be an issue. WORKED GREAT!

Don

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
A sonar transducer placement is rarely a permanent install so it might be best to adhere with silicone rather than epoxy. This facilitates a much easier removal of transducer when it becomes necessary. Cap'n Don has a very nice install and its just a matter of which way you select to glue it down.. Keep the bubbles out of the epoxy or silicone! Chief

Apr 6, 2014
ive read that melted wax will also work. thanks fellas----this will be an off season project fair winds and don you were right we love the boat and i still have enough muscle to step the mast by hand. again thanks

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
There's a recent thread here about using plumbers putty to mount the transducer. Works very well, evidently.

Nov 19, 2008
I used a hole saw initially, then had to sand the fiberglass to obtain the correct size for the screw-in-access port. CAUTION!!!! be VERY careful when drilling with the hole saw. The power wires from the battery are routed through this area going to the electrical panel. Also, the expanding foam used as flotation in the C-18 was very sticky before it cured, (this is why the C-18 is such a strong hull), and it bonds the hull and the liner together. It's not easy to break the cut-out free. Once you obtain the correct size for the access port, now begins the task of digging out the foam. I used a screw driver and a small putty knife to chip away, especially until you find the two #10 wires from the battery. Chip out, vacuum the debris, chip some out, vacuum the debris. These are tough little boats and your laying in a not so comfortable position. It takes time to make about a square foot area all the way down the the bottom of the hull. You'll want plenty of room to work inside the cavity. It's a nasty messy job, but the installation will look nice and professional when your done.

The transducer can be mounted with silicone, caulking, wax from a toilet ring, epoxy, and probably other stuff. I always have a supply of WEST epoxy on hand, so thickened WEST epoxy is what I used being very careful when mixing to not introduce any air bubbles in the mixture. What ever method you use, the key is solid material for the transducer to shoot through. Air bubbles, even small ones, will kill it's performance.

Don

Apr 6, 2014
don, used your method of transducer mounting. i used silicone instead of epoxy in case i wanted to remove it. tried it today and it worked great. thank you so much.

Nov 19, 2008
I believe I used a 6" inspection port, mainly to make access easier.

Glad it worked out,

Don

Last edited: