Trailers and Towing

Mar 26, 2012
Catalina 22 Pflugerville
The app I use to access this forum from my iPhone doesn't even show that there ever was a PDF attachment. I'll have to try from a 'puter later, cause my curiosity is piqued also!

Jan 7, 2012
catalina 22 Cave Run Lake
Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Chris, I've been traveling for the past week and not sure if I got your PM and answered you, if I haven't, hit me again. I get so many inquiries I get lost sometimes. :)

Don

hewebb

Oct 8, 2011
Catalina Catalina 25 Joe Pool Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by hewebb
I have trailered my Catalina 25 several times to various lakes. I now use these to keep the lines, cables and furled head sail to the mast.

http://www.amazon.com/Keeper-6345-Ca...gee+ball+cords

I made a board to go across the pulpit that holds the mast. And just use the push pit on the stern. I made a support for the tabernacle to keep the mast from bouncing.

I know this is off the thread question but what do you pull your c25 with?

I have a Chevy 3/4 ton diesel pick up. It is more truck than the boat needs but I have other trailers that need it.

Jun 21, 2011
Catalina 22 MKII Scarborough, Ontario
Chris, I've been traveling for the past week and not sure if I got your PM and answered you, if I haven't, hit me again. I get so many inquiries I get lost sometimes. :) Don
Don, I have resent my earlier PM to you today.

Feb 4, 2013
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant
Bob when you are ready to lower the mast let me know. We have successfully trailered JagerKnot to CA for a couple of Catalina Island trips and to Newport for the most recent Border Run race. I guarantee your trailer is in better shape than mine. I think you have my number. We will be sailing tomorrow (11/30).

Mike

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Hi Mike: thanks for the offer, and I will definitely take you up on that. I may also ask George or others if I can help them rig before / after a race this spring, too, to pick-up additional tips / pointers. My trailer needs a lot - brake actuator, new brakes, brake lines, tires ... on and on; but, I'm going to bite the bullet and get it done. I had been working overseas for about 2-years, and am way behind on my sailing "to do" list - but, I definitely want to hit Catalina Island this year. We are also thinking of keeping it in a marina in San Diego next summer. But, none of that can happen until I get the trailer work done.

Sorry that we couldn't join you at the lake today - hope you had a nice sail. Take care, and thanks again Mike.

JVB

Jan 26, 2006
Schock Wavelength 24 Lake Murray, SC
Pay attention to the trailer ! Problems with it have the most potential to ruin your day. Number one in importance is tongue weight. It should be 10% or a little more of the total loaded trailer's weight. Here's one way to check it:
http://www.hitchingup.com/tongue-weight.htm
Too low tongue weight can lead to swaying and disasterous loss of control.
Number two is speed. Don't get complacent and let speed creep up above 60 mph.
Number three is tires. If they look aged and cracked replace them before venturing out on a trip of more than 50 miles. Make sure the tires are inflated to the pressure specified on the side of the tire. (Been on the side of I-85 with a blown out old tire.)
Check lug nuts for tightness. Improperly secured lug nuts can lead to broken lug bolts and a fly away wheel. (Been there too.)
If your trailer has surge brakes make sure the hydraulic fluid reservoir is full even if the brakes don't work. That's because there is a shock absorber served by the same reservoir. Without hydraulic fluid the trailer can slam to its travel limit when you brake. It is not just annoying, the repeated shocks can lead to failure of the trailer structure. (Been there three.)
Wheel bearings should be cleaned and repacked before going out on a road trip, especially after repeated dunking without enough road time for friction heat to drive out moisture.