Trailers and Towing

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
I’m the second owner of our 1980 C-22 (“Windswept”, sail #9979). It is stored in a mast-up boat-yard at the lake where we sail (Lake Pleasant, AZ). We hitch-up, drive a few hundred yards to launch, and off we go - works great. But, we want to explore new sailing areas (nearby Roosevelt Lake, Lake Meade, Lake Havasu, San Diego Bay, Mission Bay, Catalina Island … there are so many possibilities). So, my main project for this winter is to make the trailer safe and road-ready. The frame is solid and in good condition; but, I need to replace the wiring, lights, tires, bunks, and brakes (planning on having new disc brakes, brake lines, actuator, etc., installed).

Here’s the problem - we have NEVER trailered our boat, other than with the mast-up for the short haul to-and-from the storage lot to the boat ramp at Lake Pleasant. I have never even taken the mast down. So, I have a few questions - any and all tips, suggestions, etc., greatly appreciated.

- taking-down / putting-up the mast: does anyone have a good “checklist” for this procedure? I know the mainsail and boom need to be removed, and the forestay and the forward shrouds need to be removed before the mast can be lowered. What else needs to happen? Any good tips for this process, or for securing all the halyards, shrouds, turnbuckles, other lines and hardware, etc., for travel?

- trailer wiring: any suggestions on a good trailer wiring kit? There are many to choose from out there - my inclination is to just go to etrailer.com and order one. I'm open to better suggestions. Installing a new trailer wiring kit looks pretty easy.

- mast storage while trailering: Catalina Direct (CD) sells a “Mastup Mast Stepper” for supporting the mast from the stern while in transit, and for aiding in raising the mast. And, they also sell a nice “Fiberglass Mast Carrier Kit”, which cradles the mast and secures it to the pulpit for traveling. Some C-22 owners have fashioned their own pulpit carrier from PVC pipe, 2”x4”s, plywood, etc. Has anyone had experience with the CD products? Any other better alternatives to suggest? Pros and cons of the CD products versus home-made? What works for you?

- motor: when trailering the boat, do you leave the motor in-place, or do you take it off the outboard motor mount and stow it in the cockpit, or the tow vehicle, for travel? Having the weight of the outboard hanging off the back of the boat, and subjected to jarring road conditions at highway speeds, would seem to put a lot of stress on the motor-mount bolts and stern. Leave it mounted or take it off?

- over-the-road safety kit: what is in your “safety kit” for trailering your boats? Which spare parts (extra bungees, turnbuckles?, wheel bearings, etc.) do you take along to ensure that you can safely arrive at your destination, and successfully rig and launch?

- other related tips, tricks, and information: any other tips on preparing the C-22 for over-the-road travel, and for safe trailering? All tips, best practices, ideas, welcomed.

Thanks in advance for your help!

- Bob

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
There's a zillion ways to rig the boat for travel, but the way we do it is tie-wraps. Not the 10 per bag from the home improvement store, the 1000 per bag from the electronics wholesaler. The're cheap, they tie the rigging securely to the mast, the deck or anyplace else that may flap around.

We have a mast raising system, including a tabernacle that goes at the stern. With a 6:1 rigging and a very solid support system, the mast goes up and comes down easily, and a mast on a 270 is getting to be almost too large for that kind of stuff.

Make sure you check the local requirements for trailering. As Dave would tell you, most states are different, and if you do it safely, and consider what you're doing, it will be a blast.

Cheers
Gary

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Gary: Do you use your main sheet tackle to raise or lower the mast? I am still working with improvement of my present system. I am using the trailer draw strap secured to the furler base and rail securing side lines off the top of a gin pole. Bob, this system would probably work for you as well and if no furler just hook to the forward stay.
Chief

Oct 2, 2012
Hunter 26 Ventura, CA
I would suggest using tie down straps fore and aft. California requires you carry a set of emergency reflective triangles for loads over 8 ft wide. For trailer wiring I would use heat shrink tubing on all connections. If you use LED's you won't have to remove them during submersion. Also, check the distance from your rear trailer lights and the tip of your overhanging mast. You might need red lights on the mast at night. I have added a red light to the top of my mast that is powered at the 4 pin connector on the base. A female 4 pin wired to the trailer electrical connector does it. We trailer with our 9.8 hp Tohatsu connected to the boat (not an add-on motor mount) in a vertical position. Remote throttle makes it hard to dismount. Travelled that way from Missouri to California. You will love sailing to Catalina. Don't forget to visit Twin Harbors.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Bob,

We keep our boat in a slip, but we still enjoy the benefits of the C-22 ability to easily pack it up and tow it to a new destination. We have the Catalina factory mast raising system, and although it's a bit expensive to buy unless it came with a boat, it allows me to easily and safely rig and de-rig the boat all by myself. The Catalina Direct mast crutch is wonderful! Too bad I just recently sold a spare one I had. The fiberglass carrier that fits on the bow pulpit is also a nice unit. Yes, you can make one yourself, but again, Catalina Direct's fiberglass one looks nice, and is easy to install. The factory mast raising system for the MK-II versions uses a gin pole that fit's into a hole in the bottom of the mast. Our "new design" C-22 mast will be modified to accept the factory gin pole. It's just a GREAT system. Lot's of information out there on gin-pole designs, and even more advice that you don't need anything, just straddle the mast and pull it up. In my younger days with our original 1980 C-22, that's exactly how I did it. But as I've gotten older, and don't have the strength I once had due to some surgeries, all I can say is that if it wasn't for the factory mast raising system, I wouldn't be sailing a C-22 anymore.

In the recent C-22 publication, the MainBrace, I just wrote a little article on a tip I've used for years when trailering our boats. Check out the C-22 National Association's web site, and take a look at the latest issue of the MainBrace. It's free to look at and download, and this one tip will save you a bunch of trouble and save you more that the cost of an annual membership to the C-22 Association.

Not sure yet if we'll be coming over to Lake Pleasant this winter for the annual Birthday/Leukemia Cup Regatta. If we do, I'll let you know so you can see how we rig our boat. You also have a C-22 Fleet right there at Lake Pleasant, if you haven't already, get in touch with them, I'm sure they have some great information to pass along to you also.

As for trailer wiring, I made up a harness and I use fully sealed LED lights. I also run a separate white ground wire from the plug to the lights. All of my connections are soldered, coated with liquid electrical tape, and further sealed with heat-shrink tubing. After countless dunkings, both salt water and fresh water, and towing thousands of miles, my trailer lights work great without exception. Most trailer light issues are due to ground issues, and by using a dedicated ground wire, it just eliminates most of the troubles.

For securing the stays while trailering, I bought a roll or 2" velcro at Home Depot. I think it came in either a 15' or 30' roll. I cut it up in 2' sections and it securely holds the rigging to the mast, and keeps it from flopping around. It's also reuseable, and easy to install and remove. If you look at the photos, you can see the black bands on the mast holding the stays secure. I also use it for securing the bimini.

Unlike many, we don't remove our outboard while trailering. Just another thing to remove and install, which adds to the rigging and de-rigging time. I've got a trick for that, and we've towed our boat over 6,000 miles in 2013, and over 4,000 miles this year, and we've never had a problem. Been doing this for many years, starting with our original 1980 C-22. In fact, we also store our little Honda outboard for the dinghy on the stern pulpit when trailering. I attached a photo that shows where the little Honda sits while sailing or trailering. That photo was taken last summer on one of our trips to Catalina Island. Here we're motoring back early in the morning waiting for the wind to build. You can see the Isthmus at Two Harbor's in the background.

E:mail me your address, seems I've got a bunch of photos that came with one of the boats I bought that has a set of step-by-step photo of the process. I can burn some copies and send them to you.

Trailering opens up a whole new world to your sailing adventures!

Attached are some photos of our C-22 de-rigged and ready to travel.

Don

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2011
Chief,
No. The main sheet got upgraded to a 3:1/6:1 combination assembly with an endless loop line. Possibly the coolest upgrade on the planet. Guido at Garhauer made the block, and I know of a couple of other people who have done this upgrade. (There's pictures on the blog)
I used the previous triple blocks for the crane, and added quick release shackles. We had the Mac down to 20 minutes flat, but as yet the Cat seems to be about an hour.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Thanks Mariachee, I will evaluate the use of my mainsheet gear in the spring for railing/lowering my mast. Chief

Aug 1, 2011
The really annoying thing is that the hardware from Garhauer is such good quality and so much cheaper than anything else out there that it's easy to implement a solution. The block is hiding in this post;
Archimedes Palimpset

Cheers
Gary

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The really annoying thing is that the hardware from Garhauer is such good quality and so much cheaper than anything else out there...
Yeah, that always upsets me: less expensive and better and...:doh::doh::doh:

Wish there more like that! :eek:

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
LED Lights

+1 For eTrailer.com

I got many parts for repair/upgrade to my trailer, including the LED waterproof tail lights. I researched the price all over the web and eTrailer came out to be the best deal anyway as long as you order over $100 and get free shipping, but the kit was only about $60. I used water-proof heatshrink butt connectors I already had on hand.

They have two kits, one is for trailers less tha 8 feet wide which only has the tailights themselves and the wire harness, this is all you need. The kit for trailers over 8 feet wide includes marker lamps for the fenders (widest point). I did get that kit just for additional safety factor but its not legally required, and it complicates the wiring set up. To each his own.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Take down and setup for the first time!

Over the years I have offered many suggestions on how to handle the mast on a Catalina 22 and I found a number of photos and drawings I’ve made illustrating my methods. I gathered everything up and made a brochure on do’s and don’ts. See attached PDF.

Attachments

May 11, 2014
Over the years I have offered many suggestions on how to handle the mast on a Catalina 22 and I found a number of photos and drawings I’ve made illustrating my methods. I gathered everything up and made a brochure on do’s and don’ts. See attached PDF.
Watercolors - very much interested in your PDF; but, I think you forgot to attach it your posting. BTW - friends from Clearfield will be visiting soon, and staying several months. I like to take them sailing here on Lake Pleasant.

- Bob

Aug 1, 2011
Do: Attach the pdf. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Dec 23, 2008
Lets try it again

The PDF shows up on my Mac.

Worked 38 years in downtown Clearfield, live in community next to it.

Attached again!

Attachments

May 11, 2014
Re: Lets try it again

Hi Jerry: my bad - I was viewing the forum on my iPad and, just learned, I cannot see "attachments". When I use Safari on my Mac, no problem. I downloaded your PDF - looks VERY helpful. Thank you very much - I think this is exactly what I'm looking for. Re: Clearfield, I am sending you a private message. Logged 22-miles on the Lake yesterday - felt great! Stay warm!

May 11, 2014
Gary (Meriachee): thanks for the reply - good tip, re: tie-wraps and tabernacle. And, good idea to check state towing regulations - I hadn’t thought of actually doing that.

Ojaisailor: I was NOT aware of the CA requirement for emergency reflective triangles - thank you. As noted above, I will be reading AZ and CA trailer regulations. Thanks also for the wiring tips, re: shrink tubing, sealed LEDs, lights for the mast overhang, etc.

Don: as always, great info, and thank you. Based on your advice, I will likely pry open my wallet and order the crutch and pulpit supports from CD. I will also look into the gin pole solution. I’ve downloaded the latest Mainbrace and will read it soon - thanks. I hope you can make it out here for the Birthday Regatta - I would enjoy meeting you. I did race this weekend with the C-22 fleet (I’m the slowest boat in the fleet! … but, that’s a subject for another post altogether), but of those that raced this weekend, all were “mast up” storage guys. I will get with some of the guys that trailer to the lake and ask them to put me through the mast-lowering / raising paces sometime soon. Lastly, great tips re: roll of 2” velcro, traveling with the motor mounted, soldered wiring connections.

CloudDiver: thanks for the endorsement of eTrailer and the clarification on their two wiring kits (under / over 8-ft) - I had been confused on which to order.

Jerry (Watercolors): thanks for the PDF - very well documented and great line drawings.

Again, thanks to all for the great information. Beautiful weather here in Phoenix yesterday - raced all day with nice winds, and logged 22-miles. That’s what it’s all about!

Dec 23, 2008
Lets see if Microsoft users can now open it?

I created the PDF file using a new word layout program from Apple and I can now see that only Apple users can open it so, I took the file back to an older computer that has Adobe Acrobat installed and ran it through that.

Trying again!

Attachments

Aug 1, 2011
Good thing those of us with real computers can see it. (Them's probably fightin' words?)

Jun 21, 2011
Catalina 22 MKII Scarborough, Ontario
I also use an iPad all the time and was wondering why I often cannot open attachments!
Given the popularity of these devices, we should find a way to make the website ipad compatible.
I pulled out my old Windows laptop but could not even find this post, so still haven't found Watercolour's pdf.
Is there any other way to solve this problem?
Chris

Jun 21, 2011
Catalina 22 MKII Scarborough, Ontario
Bob, We keep our boat in a slip, but we still enjoy the benefits of the C-22 ability to easily pack it up and tow it to a new destination. We have the Catalina factory mast raising system, and although it's a bit expensive to buy unless it came with a boat, it allows me to easily and safely rig and de-rig the boat all by myself. The Catalina Direct mast crutch is wonderful! Too bad I just recently sold a spare one I had. The fiberglass carrier that fits on the bow pulpit is also a nice unit. Yes, you can make one yourself, but again, Catalina Direct's fiberglass one looks nice, and is easy to install. The factory mast raising system for the MK-II versions uses a gin pole that fit's into a hole in the bottom of the mast. Our "new design" C-22 mast will be modified to accept the factory gin pole. It's just a GREAT system. Lot's of information out there on gin-pole designs, and even more advice that you don't need anything, just straddle the mast and pull it up. In my younger days with our original 1980 C-22, that's exactly how I did it. But as I've gotten older, and don't have the strength I once had due to some surgeries, all I can say is that if it wasn't for the factory mast raising system, I wouldn't be sailing a C-22 anymore. In the recent C-22 publication, the MainBrace, I just wrote a little article on a tip I've used for years when trailering our boats. Check out the C-22 National Association's web site, and take a look at the latest issue of the MainBrace. It's free to look at and download, and this one tip will save you a bunch of trouble and save you more that the cost of an annual membership to the C-22 Association. Not sure yet if we'll be coming over to Lake Pleasant this winter for the annual Birthday/Leukemia Cup Regatta. If we do, I'll let you know so you can see how we rig our boat. You also have a C-22 Fleet right there at Lake Pleasant, if you haven't already, get in touch with them, I'm sure they have some great information to pass along to you also. As for trailer wiring, I made up a harness and I use fully sealed LED lights. I also run a separate white ground wire from the plug to the lights. All of my connections are soldered, coated with liquid electrical tape, and further sealed with heat-shrink tubing. After countless dunkings, both salt water and fresh water, and towing thousands of miles, my trailer lights work great without exception. Most trailer light issues are due to ground issues, and by using a dedicated ground wire, it just eliminates most of the troubles. For securing the stays while trailering, I bought a roll or 2" velcro at Home Depot. I think it came in either a 15' or 30' roll. I cut it up in 2' sections and it securely holds the rigging to the mast, and keeps it from flopping around. It's also reuseable, and easy to install and remove. If you look at the photos, you can see the black bands on the mast holding the stays secure. I also use it for securing the bimini. Unlike many, we don't remove our outboard while trailering. Just another thing to remove and install, which adds to the rigging and de-rigging time. I've got a trick for that, and we've towed our boat over 6,000 miles in 2013, and over 4,000 miles this year, and we've never had a problem. Been doing this for many years, starting with our original 1980 C-22. In fact, we also store our little Honda outboard for the dinghy on the stern pulpit when trailering. I attached a photo that shows where the little Honda sits while sailing or trailering. That photo was taken last summer on one of our trips to Catalina Island. Here we're motoring back early in the morning waiting for the wind to build. You can see the Isthmus at Two Harbor's in the background. E:mail me your address, seems I've got a bunch of photos that came with one of the boats I bought that has a set of step-by-step photo of the process. I can burn some copies and send them to you. Trailering opens up a whole new world to your sailing adventures! Attached are some photos of our C-22 de-rigged and ready to travel. Don
Don, I had sent you a PM with some questions about your MK- II. Let me know if you did not receive it and I will attempt to resend.
Chris