Trailering a Hunter 23 - negative tongue weight?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
jblaze3000;

First, it does not matter if the trailer ball on the hitch is high or level. That does not make a squat at all to contributing to negative balance. It is the weight on the hitch which is the factor to be considered. I know many who have it a little higher to help in launching and retrieving. I should know with all the various kinds of boats I towed behind my pickup from 8 feet to 36 feet to include launching.

Now that I know you have brakes, filling the resivour is not enough. You will have to bleed or purge the air out of them to work properly. If you do not know how to do this or have a friend who can do that with you as it is a two person job, I suggest you have that on your immediate list out of safety for your family and you before pulling the boat. I pulled many wing keels over the years and have seen several wrecked due to swaying. With the surge brakes, when you brake, the trailer surges forward engaging the brakes and if properly done, it will actually cause your tow vehicle to brake as well; thus you can forget about having to accelerate. I am not sure of your state/locality but many do require inspection if you have brakes on the trailer, so find out.

Jun 19, 2014
Hunter 23 Twin Cities
jblaze3000;

First, it does not matter if the trailer ball on the hitch is high or level. That does not make a squat at all to contributing to negative balance. It is the weight on the hitch which is the factor to be considered. I know many who have it a little higher to help in launching and retrieving. I should know with all the various kinds of boats I towed behind my pickup from 8 feet to 36 feet to include launching.

Now that I know you have brakes, filling the resivour is not enough. You will have to bleed or purge the air out of them to work properly. If you do not know how to do this or have a friend who can do that with you as it is a two person job, I suggest you have that on your immediate list out of safety for your family and you before pulling the boat. I pulled many wing keels over the years and have seen several wrecked due to swaying. With the surge brakes, when you brake, the trailer surges forward engaging the brakes and if properly done, it will actually cause your tow vehicle to brake as well; thus you can forget about having to accelerate. I am not sure of your state/locality but many do require inspection if you have brakes on the trailer, so find out.
Well after further review I determined that the old brake actuator was junk. Bought a new one at Northern Tool of $149 and installed this weekend. Bled the brakes and kept my fingers crossed that the drums weren't seized. They worked like a dream!

I also got new tires, leveled my ball, took the outboard off, and moved the boat further up on the trailer. The difference was night and day! Took the boat on a 35 mile trip (to Lake Minnetonka for you Minnesotans) and instead of a white-knuckled 50 mph trip that I had bringing the boat home, I had a worry free, 55 mph drive to the lake. Did 62 mph on the way back with no problems either. I'd say that my trailering concerns have been alleviated! Thanks for the help.

Now that the boat has been on the water time to work on fixing a number of smaller issues with the boat. More threads to come...

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
One thing to check on is the attachment of the fenders to the trailer. The orginal attachments were junk and fenders had to be reinforced. I cannot tell if they have been modified on your trailer or not.

Glad that you got your brakes working. However, never let your guard down and always check those bearings from time to time by touch.

T_well

Sep 13, 2012
Hunter H23 Lake Sinclair
Didn't read all three pages of comments, but what I did read sounds like what I'd say. Make sure the boat is all the way forward and then take the motor off to trailer. My H 23 is powered only by a 5 hp and I always took it off to trailer.