Registered users don't see ads

Trailerable Sailboats Under 5,000lbs

Discussion in 'Trailer Sailors' started by rustyw007, Apr 24, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. FastOlson

FastOlson

Joined Apr 8, 2010
    841 posts, 47 likes
    Ericson Yachts Olson 34
    US Portland, OR Portland OR
    http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3509
    Check out a (rare) Ray Richards-designed Ranger 26. Traditional looking above the waterline and a fast hull and keel. Designed for trailering - some had an outboard in a well, and several were sold with Yanmar diesels.
    There used to be a nice little web site for one that trailered down to sail the waters of Baha every year.
    Enclosed head and large sleeping area. Build in Kent WA, by the Ranger Boat company, who built hundreds of Ranger 20 sloops (also a Richards design).

2. vizwhiz

vizwhiz

Joined Aug 7, 2011
    486 posts, 15 likes
    MacGregor 26S
    US Lakeland, FL
    I definitely understand the OP's desire to limit draft to 24"... and he gave a number of very valid reasons, as it isn't just about the "sailing" part of using the sailboat. When using the boat for overnights and weekending in somewhat protected and often shallow waters like Tampa Bay, we spend a lot of time moving into and out of short waters. Sometimes it's fishing. Sometimes it is stopping for lunch. Anchoring for the night. Beaching. Oyster bars (the kind in the water). Unmarked shifty shoals. There are plenty of places in the bay here that I simply couldn't go if I had a 3' draft.

As it is, it's tough enough to reconfigure the boat to go from deeper water sailing to shallow water... Raise the centerboard some, raise the rudder, drop the motor, hook tiller to motor, start motor... We've accidentally sailed across really shallow water while hugging a shoreline and are very grateful to have a swing-up keel (as opposed to the daggerboard style), a quick-release cleat for the rudder down-haul, and a generally forgiving shallow draft on the hull otherwise (less than 24"). This happens on the ICW down here a lot too, where it is 9-10' in the channel and suddenly goes to 4' or less on the sides.

I will also offer this tidbit. Many who started out with an enclosed head didn't leave it that way. The space can be so small in a trailerable-size boat that it is impractical, particularly for larger humans. Taking the door off often makes the space functional. Liquids are handled in buckets anyway, which is a lot quicker and easier to manage. Shooing everyone out of the cabin and dropping the companionway hatch in place can give you enough privacy for the worst of offenses. At night, if everyone is sleeping below, there is no such thing as privacy anyway in roughly 20' of cabin space, so a curtain works as well as a door, which works as well as a chainlink fence. Venting to the outside is more valuable than the door in these cases.

3. vizwhiz

vizwhiz

Joined Aug 7, 2011
    486 posts, 15 likes
    MacGregor 26S
    US Lakeland, FL
    And a quick comment on weight. 3500# is a common vehicle tow weight limitation. This doesn't sound like a major difference from the 5000# criteria you are using. But for us, it's the difference between being able to tow our 26' swing-keel water-ballasted boat (we tow with our V6 Lincoln MKX Ford Edge vehicle) and not being able to tow the newer powersailer versions of the Mac26x/M, as they are over 4000# and often closer to 5000# tow weight when fully loaded. Our Mac hull with motor and basic stuff is roughly 2200#, and trailer is 400-500. We're safely below the 3500# limit of our vehicle, and still get to enjoy a 26' long boat. Just food for thought.

4. rgranger

rgranger

Joined Jan 19, 2010
    4,228 posts, 427 likes
    Hunter 26
    US Smith Mountain Lake
    :plus:

5. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    3,686 posts, 865 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Sumter, SC Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    I may have missed a reply but I don't think anyone said this. The Hunter 260 is wonderful for trailering and launching. But if you regularly sail in water less than 6' you won't be happy with it. Yes you can raised the centerboard at times but I wouldn't plan on sailing a bunch with it that way. I've tried motoring with it up. Not the easiest thing with a crosswind.

6. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,743 posts, 332 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    @Kermit
    If you know the principals of crabbing just like an airplane when pointing toward the direction of the wind with the CB up maintaining a straight line to your destitination, you can do it green frog.

7. Kermit

Kermit

Joined Jul 31, 2010
    3,686 posts, 865 likes
    Hunter 260
    US Sumter, SC Lake Murray Sailing Club, SC
    I know how to do that. Particularly in a crosswind while docking. I just wouldn't want to sail that way in a regular basis. Brribbit!

vizwhiz likes this.
  8. Bartman99

Bartman99

Joined Sep 29, 2017
    4 posts, 0 likes
    looking looking
    US virginia virginia
    How about a Santana 2023c?

9. vizwhiz

vizwhiz

Joined Aug 7, 2011
    486 posts, 15 likes
    MacGregor 26S
    US Lakeland, FL
    It's a pretty boat on the outside! Looks a lot like the Mac 25/26.

10. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    208 posts, 42 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH Littleton, NH
  11. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    7,348 posts, 1,213 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Once a trailer-able gets an ENCLOSED HEAD compartment, with a marine toilet in it than can be used without regret of what you must do with the waste later, boat usage goes up 500%. Ask your SO if you don't believe me. ;^)

Anytime I see a portapotti stuffed under a board in the vee, I see another checkbox on a marketing sheet filled in by someone who will never have to use that solution.

FastOlson and Will Gilmore like this.
  12. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    208 posts, 42 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH Littleton, NH
    I completely agree with that statement. When i asked my wife about putting a port-a-potty in our mariner, because there's a spot under the V-birth for one, she swore Dragonfly would never have one. She'd use a 5 gal. bucket. She hates the idea of lugging sh-t around and dumping tank-fulls of the stuff. She said she'll hang it over the side first.
    -Will (Dragonfly)

13. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    1,936 posts, 350 likes
    Catalina 270
    CA Edmonton, Ab Wabamun - on the orange ball
    This thread seems to be concentrating on physics. It's not about how livable the boat is, it's about how much water it draws. On the 26c, (by way of example) there comes a point where you get tired of getting dressed on your knees, moving everything out of the berth to sleep in it, and wishing you were 3-foot-nuthin to get into the head. You can however, run the boat right up on the beach. Depends on what you want, and are prepared to put up with. The little Catalina is certainly at (or maybe past) the upper end of the trailerable range, requires a lot of overhead to get it down the road, cannot be launched in a roadside puddle, and is an order of magnitude higher on the comfort scale. For the environment here, it's just about perfect. Funny how I said that about the Mac for quite a few years.

14. Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Joined Feb 26, 2004
    19,490 posts, 361 likes
    Catalina 34
    US Maple Bay, BC, Canada
    Ha ha ha ha... We had a C22 from 1983 to 1987. Got a C25. Three more feet, but twice the volume. You are SO right. :) Had the 25 for 13 years, great boat.

Meriachee likes this.
  15. LeeandRick

LeeandRick

Joined Apr 26, 2015
    241 posts, 56 likes
    Oday 23-2, S2 26 Mid
    US Lake Havasu
    I agree on the enclosed head but sailing on a lake with no pump out facilities the portapotti, I just dumped yesterday, makes more since than a marine head. There is someone on this forum that has a funnel for his wife that tinkles overboard. :biggrin:

16. Jackdaw

Jackdaw

Joined Nov 8, 2010
    7,348 posts, 1,213 likes
    Beneteau First 36.7 & 260
    US Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
    Or more precisely, how high it sits on a trailer. Our First 260 draws 6 feet but I have trailer launched and retrieved it in a pinch.

17. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    1,936 posts, 350 likes
    Catalina 270
    That too. We have spent an insane amount of time and welding rods working on how to effectively beat the physics of a crane.

Jackdaw likes this.
  18. Daveinet

Daveinet

Joined Sep 20, 2014
    709 posts, 67 likes
    Rob Legg RL24
    US Chain O'Lakes
    ? Seems like an odd conclusion. I use the PP all the time. Not sure how I would empty one that was permanent, as there is no drain. Pumping out a holding tank is highly impractical for a boat that you day sail and trailer launch. Not saying I like dumping it, but it would be a major pain to have it pumped out, not to mention the cost.

19. RussC

RussC

Joined Sep 11, 2015
    894 posts, 297 likes
    Macgregor 25
    US Vagabond 17. Oregon lakes
    Ha ha. a She-wee. I gave one to my wife a couple years ago but she won't use it for some reason :laugh: . we both use the bucket method for #1 and on-shore facilities for #2.

20. Meriachee

Meriachee

Joined Aug 1, 2011
    1,936 posts, 350 likes
    Catalina 270
    Why not?

Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Mainsail covers
Pre-patterned mainsail covers to fit your boat
Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.