Trailer Toungue Extension

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
That is a slick setup for someone who does not have the ability to fab one up on their own. Drill four holes and bolt it on.

Sam

Apr 22, 2013
Catalina 22 Cincinnati
Don, like a dummy, I never thought of lowering the bunks! Regardless, I found a guy that will make me option #2 for $150 and all I will have to do is bolt it on the trailer. I will post pictures of the set-up when I get it all assembled.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Used the sliding tongue I made today as we brought the boat home for the season. Sure sucks to have the season end so early. But no wind all of this past month but I still had to go check on the boat every week. The wind will probably start blowing tomorrow and blow all fall long...

Sam

Last edited:

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
Used the sliding tongue I made today as we brought the boat home for the season. Sure sucks to have the season end so early. But no wind all of this past month but I still had to go check on the boat every week. The wind will probably start blowing tomorrow and blow all fall long...

Sam
That's sad man. I feel like our season is just starting again... We're taking the boat out to the Mississippi barrier islands this friday for its first overnight trip. It's been too hot with very little wind the last couple months. I'm looking forward to the sooler temps and better wind..

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Lots of good insight. I like the whole weld the square tube right to the frame, but that involves towing my trailer all the way to my welder guy which is further than I want to go.
Ask around. I have a friend who lives 1/2 mile from me who has a welding shop at his home. I knew him for years before finding out he's a welder. Oh, and recently a guy at our sailing club was just about to drive 20 minutes to buy a pipe wrench and on a whim asked if I by chance had one. "I actually do. Open my lift gate and look in the storage area." You never know...

Apr 22, 2013
Catalina 22 Cincinnati

Sam
That's no fun! What part of the country are you in? Here in Southern Ohio our wind has been crap all weekend in September when we usually have excellent wind!

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
We're in Southern IN and we have not had descent wind here all summer. We had wind the first time back on the water when we got back from the North Channel and that was it. It was a very depressing summer of sailing here at home for us. We went to the boat at least once a week to check on her, give her a bath, and maybe motor around a bit. Not exactly why we have a sailboat. But what do you do. Sure wish we had the slip till the end of October but really doubt the state will ever extend the slip rental season.
We spent the night aboard last night. Did not even took the sail covers off till we started to break down to go home. Still had a good time and glad we were on the water.

Sam

Apr 22, 2013
Catalina 22 Cincinnati
We're in Southern IN and we have not had descent wind here all summer. We had wind the first time back on the water when we got back from the North Channel and that was it. It was a very depressing summer of sailing here at home for us. We went to the boat at least once a week to check on her, give her a bath, and maybe motor around a bit. Not exactly why we have a sailboat. But what do you do. Sure wish we had the slip till the end of October but really doubt the state will ever extend the slip rental season.
We spent the night aboard last night. Did not even took the sail covers off till we started to break down to go home. Still had a good time and glad we were on the water.

Sam
About the same here. Since May, I think ours was used more as a swim platform than it was a sailboat. Good wind yesterday morning but quickly died off. Are you at Brookville? I'm at Rocky Fork (3 hours or so east near Hillsboro, Oh). I know their dockage ends the 30th and heard of a lot of boats coming out. Ohio lets us stay in till Oct 31 so hoping for a good month of wind yet.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
We're on the state docks at Lake Monroe southeast of Bloomington. Must be statewide then. At least misery has company.

Sam

Aug 16, 2014
Catalina 22 Acton Lake
Have had my boat for many many years and enjoy traveling many places with her. Used to have to extend tongue (except Caverun's KY main ramp which is 45 degree angle)
When I replaced the bunks for the second time I used trex composite decking without any carpet. I used two layers thick of 1" boards to equal the height of the old two bys. And placed the grooves side up. The boat now slides right in and off and the winch is capable of easily pulling the boat on the last few inches. Really shallow ramps I just back up fast and stop quick. Likely these new bunks will put live me

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
Problem with my trailer is that it is heavily galvanized... Like hot spray galvanized back in the 80's when the EPA wasn't up everyone's butt. Anyway, the galvanize makes welding near impossible, which reminds me I have to re-do my fender mounts for this reason. Bolt on is the best way to go so you don't have to grind away all the protection and then re-spray it after.

I have to come up with something so I can launch... I am leaning more toward using tow straps, no muss, no fuss. BTW, for those that are wondering about thickness of material... Hitch receiver tube and the nesting hitch tube is actually a standardized material with rounded edges and it is very thick. Most metal supply places carry it or can order it. I have some that I was planning to use but never got around to it.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
At first I was like what bucket LOL! Now I see it! You might have to go to a weld on jack stand if you do not have room between the main beam and the extension beam. Looks slick though.

Sam

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
At first I was like what bucket LOL! Now I see it! You might have to go to a weld on jack stand if you do not have room between the main beam and the extension beam. Looks slick though.

Sam
He has room to mount one right behind the aft plate bracket, problem is that it might not rotate to secure in the up position, it will hit the plate. This isn't uncommon with accessories crowding up the tongue on trailers, he can just mount the jack on the trailer A frame opposite of the spare tire... I see that done a lot. Probably a better place for it anyway.

Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
I have the problem with the jack on the trailer not able to lower the tongue enough for my pickup when I back intomy driveway. I improvised by turning the ball upside-down on the hitch and putting the hitch in the slot upside-down on the pickup. That raised the ball just enough to fit.

Apr 22, 2013
Catalina 22 Cincinnati
Haha, yes....poor bucket! That was part of my Home Depot shop-vac that I no longer have. I had to remove my tongue jack to mount the extension and the bucket bore the brunt of holding up the tongue while I installed.

Luckily, the jack was able to mount right back on the tongue behind the brackets with no problem!