Trailer Time !

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
While we're on the subject, don't EVER put any grease into the GREASE NIPPLE on the neck of your Tohatsu Sailpro outboards. Not if the motor will still turn from side to side without a cheater bar on the tiler.

Just trust me on this.
I have a tohatsu 9.8. Not a Sailpro but Tohatsu nonetheless. What’s up with the grease nipple that should not have grease coursing through it?

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
I have a tohatsu 9.8. Not a Sailpro but Tohatsu nonetheless. What’s up with the grease nipple that should not have grease coursing through it?
The Sailpro's friction system doesn't "lock" for long if you actually grease the shaft. It has barely enough friction as it is.

Tohatsu has stated that the friction system it is not meant to be a "lock"and that you need to order the optional metal lock plate which allows bolting the motor in position. The problem with that idea, is that it BOLTS in place, preventing adjustment or pivoting the motor.

A few people have modified their sailpro so that the friction system works better. Various ideas have been implemented.
@CaptDon01 had stuff in an album under his profile, but it appears to be gone now.

Here's an example that uses cloth glued to the smooth stainless steel friction band.
https://tillerfix.blogspot.com/

Last edited: