Trailer supports distance O'Day 272

Jan 7, 2012
catalina 22 Cave Run Lake
Proud new owner of a new to me O'Day 272 LE! I currently have a Cat22 and have been wanting a bigger boat for some time now. I bought a trailer a couple years ago that was used for a Cat27 and have been waiting for a good deal to come along. Finally happened and now I need to make plans to pick up the boat. I am hoping the stands are positioned close enough to rest under the bulkheads so I will not have to move them. Can anyone with a trailer tell me the distance on theirs?

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Congratulations ! We bought a new 272LE in the winter of 1986....It has been a wonderful
boat.....Our boat rests on a steel cradle which is secured to a flatbed trailer, but I'm unsure of the distance between the cradle bunks......one of them compresses the hull slightly...that would be the aft starboard bunk..I did order new rubber bunk pads early this fall and the compression is not nearly so noticeable. I do not have the current measurements between the bunks, but I plan to go to the lake this weekend and can measure the actual distances when out there. You will enjoy your LE....If you need help with anything else, I'll be happy to help in any way possible. Pat

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
The boat should rest on the keel and the pads are only there to prevent it falling over. You might be in a position of measuring it, but don't forget that it's not just for-aft, it's also center-outward, and height. You don't want to get into a position of loading it and finding the support is too long for the position. (don't ask how I know this:) )

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
The center of the boat can rest on the keel, but not the wings...no weight on the wings per O'Day literature. PC

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
I'm going to look in my O'day 272 manual....I believe it is mentioned in there.....there also use to be a monthly magazine
put out by O'Day and it basically pertained only to the 272......I would suggest you call Rudy Nickerson at D & R Marine
in Assonet, Massachusetts....He worked for many years as part's manager at the O'Day factory; I think 19 years....he can send you a great deal of information pertinent to the O'Day 272 and 272 LE.....If you look at the profile of the wing on the 272, you will notice immediately why you don't want to support the boat on the wings of the keel....just under the keel stub itself......I've never heard of the wings cracking or breaking, but I'm sure that is what the issue was.......I would, and have asked him nearly every question that can be discussed about these boats.....I'm going to the lake later this week and will take some pictures of my cradle....

Jan 7, 2012
I'm going to look in my O'day 272 manual....I believe it is mentioned in there.....there also use to be a monthly magazine
put out by O'Day and it basically pertained only to the 272......I would suggest you call Rudy Nickerson at D & R Marine
in Assonet, Massachusetts....He worked for many years as part's manager at the O'Day factory; I think 19 years....he can send you a great deal of information pertinent to the O'Day 272 and 272 LE.....If you look at the profile of the wing on the 272, you will notice immediately why you don't want to support the boat on the wings of the keel....just under the keel stub itself......I've never heard of the wings cracking or breaking, but I'm sure that is what the issue was.......I would, and have asked him nearly every question that can be discussed about these boats.....I'm going to the lake later this week and will take some pictures of my cradle....
That's some great advice! I will call him tomorrow.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Was Rudy able to help you with your questions? Pat

Jan 7, 2012
Was Rudy able to help you with your questions? Pat
Actually he told me I would be the first guy to ever trailer a 272. Kinda surprised me to hear him say that. I told him I had read about several people trailering theirs. But thanks for the contact, I am sure I will be calling more over the years.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Rudy says no one has trailered a 272?
Really? Hmmmm..... I actually ROLL mine around too! I do not "daysail" it, for sure. I think that would be a drag, but you could. I stepped the mast on my 28' trimaran this last week, so stepping the mast on the 272 by your self is certainly possible. Dropping that sucker in the water would probably require a trailer extension.
Your keel support can be a 2x10" . Mine is about 8' long to bolt to the supports on my trailer.
IMG_0232.JPG

Jan 7, 2012
Rudy says no one has trailered a 272?
Really? Hmmmm..... I actually ROLL mine around too! I do not "daysail" it, for sure. I think that would be a drag, but you could. I stepped the mast on my 28' trimaran this last week, so stepping the mast on the 272 by your self is certainly possible. Dropping that sucker in the water would probably require a trailer extension.
Your keel support can be a 2x10" . Mine is about 8' long to bolt to the supports on my trailer.
View attachment 138639
Looking good! I actually have a thread of yours saved from a few years back on stepping the mast with a gin pole. Plan on starting on it real soon!

Jan 7, 2012
I do not know him but his response shocked me because I have seen several of the 272's sitting on trailers.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Looking good! I actually have a thread of yours saved from a few years back on stepping the mast with a gin pole. Plan on starting on it real soon!
I will also recomment an A-frame for stepping the mast. You can attach it to the shroud chainplates or the mast step plate. Here is how mine is attached on my Telstar 28:
It bolts to a bracket that is crewed to the sides of the mast step plate on the deck.
It is connected to the mast via guide wires, kind of shrouds that loop around the mast above the spreaders. You can see them in the picture. There are lobes screwed to the mast to keep the wire loop from sliding down the mast.
The other end of the mast has a large block and tackle attached to a horn cleat on the bow. The a-frame is hauled to the deck and in turn hauls the mast vertical.
IMG_0548.JPG IMG_0550.JPG IMG_0551.JPG

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
While ours is on a trailer during the winter, it is in it's berth at our club spring summer, and most of the fall...have
you found the 272 manual on the O'day owners website.?....I think you should also be able to order one from Rudy as well. Are you enjoying your new boat?

Jan 7, 2012
While ours is on a trailer during the winter, it is in it's berth at our club spring summer, and most of the fall...have
you found the 272 manual on the O'day owners website.?....I think you should also be able to order one from Rudy as well. Are you enjoying your new boat?
Manual came with the boat. It will be a while before I get to enjoy it. Summertime is my busy time. I actually bought the boat to take to the Keys and Gulf Coast in the winter time. The plan is to stay on it for a few weeks then fly home for a couple weeks then fly back for a couple more weeks! I hope, that's the plan. But, LOTS of work to be done before all that happens. Have a short list that I am sure will get longer as I go.