trailer info, Hunter 23.5, 1994

dietrm

Jan 22, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Gainesville
I need to replace my trailer. Would love to find a used one. Who manufactured the trailer? Any sources to look for a used one?
thank you
Markus

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Hunter made the trailer for the 23.5. See if Majic Tilt or Road King has the deminsions. Advise me and will help you with this.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Exactly what is wrong with the trailer. It would be next to impossible to find a used one. You need to be careful modifying an existing for exams a power boat trailer

dietrm

Jan 22, 2018
Hunter 23.5 Gainesville
Dave
thank you for your input. Rust damage on the cross members, needing a new axle, replacement of the brakes, and need for new tires, make a repair financially unattractive. Even if I can't find a used trailer (preferred), I am not sure where to start shopping for a new one. It seems that sailboat trailers are a niche business. I appreciate any guidance you may have.
Markus

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
First you can take photos of the rust and let me advise on that. Also a photo of the axle to see what or why a new axle is needed and brakes can be replaced depending of what is wrong. As for tires, that is easy. The cost would be less than buying a new one for sure. so do not get discouraged my friend.
You are in Gainesville? Send me a private message with contact information. I have a reference source but need to keep quiet on this one.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Sent you a private email. Suggest removing your email address fro above. There is a private email via forum that could be sent.
Dave

Aug 8, 2015
Hunter 23.5 Lake Nockamixon
I see that Magic Tilt makes a trailer for the 240. I have been debating getting one for my hunter 23.5. Does anyone know if that will work or are the hulls too different?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The LOA, beam, length at waterline, dry weight and ballast of the 23.5 is different from the 240 but the 240 trailer will work. Just make sure the bunk board posts are adjustable

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Spoke with Marcus. Trailer too far gone. Suggested contacting magic tilt trailer but did advise adjustable bunk board supports adding a couple inches so to be careful not putting weight on centerboard. Can readjust when out of water

Aug 24, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Knysna
Hi Dave, I also need to have a trailer made for my Hunter 23.5 (1994). As you know, I am in South Africa so I can't go to Majic Tilt or Road King. Having read a lot about issues of trailering I don't want to go approach a local power boat yard and ask them to build me a trailer without being able to give them a design. I suspect I am the only H23.5 in the country and that complicates things. It seems to me that centre of gravity and bulkhead position as well as tongue length and load , along with double or single axle seem to be issues. At least the H23.5 should be lying quite low on the trailer with its swing centre board and water ballast. This should surely help a lot in its trailering?

Do you have any advice?

Much appreciated!
Arnold

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I will ask if the trailer build designs were kept but you should be able to determine by photos with emphasis on long bunk boards with minimum of three supports each side better with four that are adjustable as there can be no weight on the centerboard resting on a keel tray. Tired will need to carry the load of boat, trailer and gear with a safety margin built in filled to desired or suggested tire pressures

Aug 24, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Knysna
Hi All, I am now at the point of building a trailer for my Hunter 23.5.
Please can I ask for as many pictures of your H23.5 trailers? I need pictures with and without boats and from all angles please. Even some measurements would be a great help!

Much appreciated,
Arnold

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Cape Cod, Ma.
Arnold, The factory Hunter 23.5 trailer was a nightmare and should never been sold with the H23.5 At the very least it shoulf have been a dual axle trailer with brakes. The weight of a loaded H23.5 boat with motor, and all the owners equipment included is too close to the weight the trailer was built for. Not to mention hauling out the boaton a ramp with a full water ballast tank. Do yourself a favor and build the trailer with a capability of carrying 4000 pounds and equipped with dual axles and brakes.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Mike in Cape Cod

As you are aware I was very much involved with this boat and trailer. A friend of mine well known for sailboat trailer design was consulted on the design of the trailer with me present. Now experience comes into play as I sold nearly 20-25% of the production line.

I picked up all my boats and towed each 675 miles one way to my dealership and after to shows or delivery sometimes adding over another 500 miles. Never once did I have a blowout although when introducing the boat originally I towed it all over the east coast which of course was well over 10,000 miles on that trailer.

The key was to check air pressure, grease, tightness of lug nuts, tightness of bolts, check heat of hubs/rims particularly with brakes, bolts and nuts, etc... the only major concern in the beginning was no offer of brakes which I yelled and screamed for. Ones without brakes you could add brakes to those axles. Often I would tell customers to make sure there was 10% of total weight of load on the hitch. If not you could move the axle and/or the winch stand to achieve 10%. Proper maintenance is the key.

The 23.5 has been out of production for 22 1/2 years. Without proper maintence, anything can happen and that included me a few times. Things included lack of grease, low or overinflated tires, loose lug nuts, bad bearings and racers, Dry rot, tire separation, worn out tires, over loaded due to water ballast still on board/added weight twice for moving house furniture and so on. I saw new tires sometimes smaller which were nit rated for the load.

The 23.5 sometimes was confused with the 23 wing keel as the 23 wing keel set higher on the trailer givinrn s higher center of gravity. Adding a second axle was the preference of the owner but more notably on the 23wing keel trailer. The key to any trailer is maintence!

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
I thought the trailer for my 23.5 was very close to the edge of what was safe and prudent. Probably adequate for an empty boat but it would be easy to add close to #1,000 of stuff. I added a second axle. I would not hesitate to do it again.

Jul 22, 2017
Hunter 23.5 Punta Gorda, FL
Group, Hoping someone has the answer for where I can order a new tandem axle trailer for my 23.5. I purchased this boat last Nov 2022 and when taking it to Punta Gorda I had a blow out on I95. Tires had a load rating C, made sure the tires were at 50 psi cold and they even had a date code of 2016, needless to say we had a blowout that even took the fender off. I was able to change the tire and get to a tire shop that had the same size with a load rating D so I had them all changed including the spare. Now I feel like a tandem axle with surge brakes would be the solution, does Majic Tilt or Road King listed earlier in the post have the dimensions to build a new trailer? What have others done? Thanks,
Rob
Punta Gorda, FL

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Magic tilt for sailboat trailers. I was advised Road King no longer builds sailboat trailers.

use the old trailer as a pattern but suggest adding a second axle as new trailers are expensive. The length of the bunk boards is import To carry the 2,000 lb boat when dry. I was involved with the design of the trailer.

you said tires were dated 2016.
Your tires were probably dry rotted causing the failure

Sep 29, 2008
hunter 240 Dewey beach, De
I also need to repair or replace my 1998 H240 trailer. I found a trailer builder near me (Georgetown, DE), who said they could replace the support posts that hold up the bunk boards. Won't know the cost until I splash boat and take it there in the next two weeks.