Trailer and motor lift questions

Sep 8, 2016
Macgregor 25 Chattanooga
This past month, I had a problem loading at the ramp. There is a flat piece of 4" steel welded crossways near the front of the trailer. Its about four feet aft of the winch assembly. The bottom of the boat got scraped pretty badly on this bar. I've seen this bar on pics of other Mac 25 trailers and assume that it was part of the original build. There is no roller, and because it's flat, no way to put one on and be able to adjust the height. There are 2 holes drilled in the center of the plate and I am wondering if a carpet covered pad or nylon skid pad is supposed to be attached. The second problem is the motor lift. It looks like a generic version of the Garelick lift. When I tilt the motor to the up position, there's not enough room. The lift is also very difficult to operate. The motor is a 94 Merc 15hp. And suggestions will be appreciated.

Feb 8, 2017
MacGregor MacGregor 25 Middle River
Hi Tom,

As to your first question, there should be a block of wood (2x4x8) through bolted at the point where the 2 holes are drilled in the crosspiece. Mine is mounted about an inch above the crosspiece and on those days at the ramp where the angle isn't quite right, the boat rubs across the wood rather than taking off paint and fiberglass. There should also be a similar block of wood in the back at the bottom of the "V" which guides the swing keel to the middle of the trailer when you're loading. That block is what the swing keel sits on when you're trailering, so no tension on the crank. My Mac 25 and trailer were new in 1985, and I've replaced both blocks with pressure treated wood.

As to your 2nd question, would you send pictures? I can't visualize from your description.

Cheers!

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
This was a great mod for us! even lifting our little 4 hp, without having to navigate under the rear rail and hang over the transom, is SO much easier now.

P1040684.jpg

Aug 22, 2011
MacGregor Venture V224 Cheeseland
I leave my mount in the down position and use the motors tilt function.
I improvised a rope/handle that attaches to the rear of the motor cover where the grab handle is.
I can use it to pull the motor up into tilt or let it down to run easily without hanging over the transom.
This allows my body weight and legs to manage the motor while I remain fully inside the boat.

The downside is that I still have to hang over the rear to operate the "tilt/run" lever on the motor.
I intend to fix that someday.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
....The downside is that I still have to hang over the rear to operate the "tilt/run" lever on the motor.
What is the 'tilt/run/ lever? Are you talking about the lever you need to move in order to lower the motor once it has been tilted up?

Sumner
=====================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Apr 26, 2015
S2 26 Mid On Trailer
The downside is that I still have to hang over the rear to operate the "tilt/run" lever on the motor.
Most outboard engines built in the last 20 years will disengage the tilt "lock down" in forward gear. After the engine is stopped put the shift lever into forward and see if it will tilt to the first stop. If it does then to lower, tilt a little more and it will disengage the lever that holds the engine tilted. Don't forget to go to neutral before attempting a start because it will never start.

Aug 22, 2011
Most outboard engines built in the last 20 years will disengage the tilt "lock down" in forward gear. After the engine is stopped put the shift lever into forward and see if it will tilt to the first stop. If it does then to lower, tilt a little more and it will disengage the lever that holds the engine tilted. Don't forget to go to neutral before attempting a start because it will never start.
After thinking about it for a while I find that would be really useful if I could get it to do that on the 2nd lock up since that is where it must be to sail. You say the last 20 years but alas I have no outboard experience on such a young vintage. You've got my gears grinding for spring tho'....

Aug 22, 2011
What is the 'tilt/run/ lever? Are you talking about the lever you need to move in order to lower the motor once it has been tilted up?

Sumner
=====================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...

Yes. A small lever in an inconvenient spot just below the power head case. It moves in a rotary motion unfortunately which complicates simple mods. I've been thinking of a mod for years now and haven't got it done. Other things seem more pressing until I wake up while dragging at 3am on a lee shore in the rain alone...

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Yes. A small lever in an inconvenient spot just below the power head case. It moves in a rotary motion unfortunately which complicates simple mods. I've been thinking of a mod for years now and haven't got it done. Other things seem more pressing until I wake up while dragging at 3am on a lee shore in the rain alone...
That is what I thought you were talking about.

I run a line to it on the Tohatsu we have. The arrows above point to it. The line lets you release it from the cockpit. I pull on the uphaul line to raise the outboard just a bit and then pull the line in the picture and it pulls the lever and then I lower the outboard with the uphaul line while holding the other line. More on it here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/outside-29-a.html

I did the same thing...

with the Honda we had before the Tohatsu....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/outside-24.html

The mods to lift the outboards are here ....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/outside-index.html

Sumner
================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...

Aug 22, 2011
That is what I thought you were talking about.

I run a line to it on the Tohatsu we have. The arrows above point to it. The line lets you release it from the cockpit. I pull on the uphaul line to raise the outboard just a bit and then pull the line in the picture and it pulls the lever and then I lower the outboard with the uphaul line while holding the other line. More on it here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor2/outside-29-a.html

I did the same thing...

with the Honda we had before the Tohatsu....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/outside-24.html

The mods to lift the outboards are here ....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/outside-index.html

Sumner
================================================================
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...

I tried this, honest I did! It just didn't work out.
Upward motion to TILT. It is easy to overcome the spring loaded cam motion
with something tied line to the lever and a yank.

Downward to RUN. The line must pull rear and definitely DOWN to overcome the spring and the cam hump.
It means I have to devise a turn below the lever somewhere on the leg of the motor or hanging out in space.

I'm sure I can solve it once I take the time. Occasionally I envy those with that cutout motor well.