Towing without center support

Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
Does anyone tow their boat with the mast supported for and aft only?? I put a support from the mast step as well is that even needed ?

Sep 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Minnesota
I tow that way but the mast bounces quite a bit going down the road. Not enough to cause damage but enough to make things shake. In the future I will likely make a center support so that I don't have to worry.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
short distances fore & aft, long distance center support @ maststep, my 2 cents...

Apr 26, 2010
I have always used one but I'm 5 minutes from the lake and it's just one more thing to deal with

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Does anyone tow their boat with the mast supported for and aft only?? I put a support from the mast step as well is that even needed ?
We do fore and aft only. Sometimes I attach bungees in the middle, from the mast to the grab rail, just to help keep things a little steadier. Never anything underneath the mast though.

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I didn't have any kind of center support either and I noticed the bouncing before I got out of the marina. I wrapped a folded towel around the mast where it passed over the mast step to take up the gap.

There are all manner of foam blocks out there you could get your hands on (possibly for free) that would do this job well. The one you could buy for about $8 that comes to mind is the foam blocks you use on a canoe to strap upside down to the roof of a car that has no rack.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The PO of my Mac 26S fabbed a 2X6 with a v notch that bolted to the tabernacle. Even when not towing, depending on where you live, snow load on a tarped mast and deck could get heavy.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
I just towed mine 1600 miles with no center support. It does bounce a bit, but not bad. I definitely wouldn't bother for a 5 minute ride... I plan to build a center support, I just haven't yet.

Apr 26, 2010
I do have a center support made from 2x4 and bolts to the mast step and a U shaped support for the mast i think that's the best way but maybe when I go a longer distance

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The mast is designed to handle forces well in excess of the oscillating forces imparted by its own weight when the trailer bounces.

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
I stuffed a fender under the mast and it rode on that from Florida to Minnesota. I put one under every time I tow so it doesn't bang on the cabin top of the boat.

Apr 22, 2016
Catalina 22 Folsom Lake
The mast is designed to handle forces well in excess of the oscillating forces imparted by its own weight when the trailer bounces.
This may be, but there are the main plus fore and aft shrouds that stabilize/support the mast at the spreader bars.