Towing with outboard H26

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
Hunter 26 lake Powell lake mead
I am going on a trip and always take outboard off this trip I’m leaving it on how should I strap it down anyone have a diagram of this? Thanks

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
I also put a 33 gallon water tank in bow any reason why I can’t tow with water tank full

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I don't know about the tank but... for towing an O.B. I run a tow strap or rope from one of the winches, around the O.B. and to the other winch. Then cinch it up to put most of the weight of the O.B. on the winches instead of the transom mount.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Stingy has pictures...
Yep! That is how I do it. I drove my H26 from central VA to southern AL like that. ... Total of 621 miles with a Honda 9.9 on the back.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
I also put a 33 gallon water tank in bow any reason why I can’t tow with water tank full
That's an extra ~260 pounds in the bow. If your tow rig can handle the additional load, the extra tongue weight might even help your handling (balancing out the weight of the outboard on the transom). It seems like the safest plan is to measure your total trailer weight and tongue weight, and load the boat so as to get 10-15% of the total on the tongue (possibly by filling the water tank, moving a cooler or other gear around, shifting where you keep your spare trailer tire, etc.). The Weigh Safe hitch mounts have a built-in scale, which is really slick. They're really well made, but you pay for that...

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
See pic for how I tow.... I raise the motor a bit, cinch up the strap and then let the motor down a bit so that the strap is taking some of the weight. I have driven many miles like this.

Attachments

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
As with others above, I’ve always traveled with motor mounted, water tank full. Boat strapped down to trailer. Lightly strap motor leg to trailer so it doesn’t pivot/bounce independently.

Successfully towed in this manner from west coast to winnipeg, winnipeg to kingston/ottawa return as well as numerous shorter trips, 1-200 miles.

Jimmy

Jan 28, 2018
As with others above, I’ve always traveled with motor mounted, water tank full. Boat strapped down to trailer. Lightly strap motor leg to trailer so it doesn’t pivot/bounce independently.

Successfully towed in this manner from west coast to winnipeg, winnipeg to kingston/ottawa return as well as numerous shorter trips, 1-200 miles.
Is your water tank in the bow also

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 260 winnipeg, Manitoba
Yes - 20 gallons in the bow. Helps to ensure enough tongue weight. Make sure the fittings are secure at tank and valve is turned off. I replaced all but one of the push in pipe fittings (remaining is on the tank) as in the past they have worked loose and leaked while boat was being towed.