Tough state!

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi all,

We're back on the move, sort of, and using the ICW through North Carolina. Our transmission was rebuilt and we had the alignment of engine to shaft adjusted and new packings for the stuffing box. The result so far has been a very noticeable improvement in engine performance so we're very happy.

We've travelled from Beaufort to Belhaven, about 10 hours, and have had several T-Storms pass over us. Our VHF decided to take a siesta when we were coming into a marina and we had noticed the auto pilot didn't follow the course we set like it had before. We weren't close to any lightning but I heard some static during a course change. The radio is back working after I checked the fuse and jiggled the wires. I'm pretty sure it will eventually die along the remaining miles home. Not so sure what the auto pilot is doing. Might have been linked to the radio.

We're going to wait until the good weather this weekend to travel in case other issues arise. Checking the calendar we've been in this state over a month, they must really like us here.

All U Get

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Happy to hear the trans is back for you. I know from experience, it ain't fun when that goes south. Oh no! You aren't you going south are you???
:poke:

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Your boat may know something that you seem to be ignoring ... there's no reason to be up this way yet.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
Stay there, the northeast has turned into the pacific northwest with all the rain. Minus the beautiful scenery.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...we've been in this state over a month, they must really like us here. All U Get
Of course they do! You spend wads of money there... well, this time, at least. Expect a Christmas card from them.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Of course they do! You spend wads of money there... well, this time, at least. Expect a Christmas card from them.
Not as crazy as it sounds! I have shopped at Rockauto.com for years, but one year I spent a butt-load of money on auto-sensing struts and a ton of other stuff mostly for the wife's Cadi. It was the one and only time they sent me a Christmas card!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Your boat is a fantastic SAILBOAT. It really isn't that good a motorboat!
Take a right at the next inlet and get her out in the environment William Shaw designed her for. She will surprise and delight you, as ours did us.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
He's cutting inside Hatteras, conditions are a bit ugly out there. Hopefully things will improve once he spits out in Hampton Roads. The blue crabs are looking good this year, and we have more rockfish than we can eat!

Oct 2, 2008
Some fishermen missing in Ga., several rescued along the coast, USCG talking to friends of ours near Ocracoke, it's nasty inside or out.

All U Get

Oct 2, 2008
Yep our friends are stuck inside just off Ocracoke with no steerage riding an anchor in 4 foot seas and 30+kts wind. Couldn't get a tow because it is too rough and didn't want flown off by CG. Bigger boat coming in the morning. I think their Catalina is a 36, maybe bigger.

All U Get

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Ugly chop at Ocracoke when the wind blows from the SW. 60 miles of fetch across a shallow sound piling up on a lee shore. Better to be up in the Pungo River.

Oct 2, 2008
They made it through the night, gusts hit 60kts. They bent the bow roller pulling the Ronca up when they got towed. We also heard at 0530 this morning 6 rescued from a burning boat. All were in the water.

North Carolina didn't give up with winds yesterday of 25+ on the Ablemarle Sound. We anchored in a nice spot at the bottom of the Alligator River.

Glad we're now in Virginia.

All U Get

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Hi all,

We're back on the move, sort of, and using the ICW through North Carolina. Our transmission was rebuilt and we had the alignment of engine to shaft adjusted and new packings for the stuffing box. The result so far has been a very noticeable improvement in engine performance so we're very happy.

We've travelled from Beaufort to Belhaven, about 10 hours, and have had several T-Storms pass over us. Our VHF decided to take a siesta when we were coming into a marina and we had noticed the auto pilot didn't follow the course we set like it had before. We weren't close to any lightning but I heard some static during a course change. The radio is back working after I checked the fuse and jiggled the wires. I'm pretty sure it will eventually die along the remaining miles home. Not so sure what the auto pilot is doing. Might have been linked to the radio.

We're going to wait until the good weather this weekend to travel in case other issues arise. Checking the calendar we've been in this state over a month, they must really like us here.

All U Get
Pay for everything with cash. Leave no digital or paper trail.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If you don't make a foot print how will they get to know you and ask you back for more fun?