Topping Lift Rigging

Apr 30, 2017
Hi guys,

Wondering how you all rig up the topping lift for the spinnaker pole.

Runs from the bridle up to the block up on the mast and then back down - doesn't look like I have a cleat or anything on the mast to secure it. Do you all run it aft?

Chris

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Chris.. What type of boat? DO you have a picture of lower ten feet of the mast to the deck? Are any of your halyards rigged to be operated in the cockpit? Picture of the lines in the cockpit... Help me to help you.

Oct 22, 2014
Well sure jsg as he posted the question in the Catalina22 forum. I was just being cautious, not assuming he put the question in the correct forum.
Maybe it is just me. I read somewhere that if you want a good answer you have to ask a good question.

I would think if your going to have a spinnaker pole topping lift it only makes sense to have it controlled from the cockpit.

The question is "Wondering how you all rig up the topping lift for the spinnaker pole." With out the info about the equipment on the boat answering the question is a bit of guess work. While I know you can answer it and I can approximate a SWAG, not sure the OP has the necessary tools to implement the suggestions.

Apr 30, 2017
Just looked at the owners manual, they show the pole lift running aft. I think I can just attach a block at the base of the mast to run it back.

Oct 22, 2014
Yes that can work. Some folks get fancy and run the line through a rope clutch. Some folks use a fairlead and a cam cleat. And a few of us old guys install a cleat.
Your boat your choice. All are good options.

Oct 22, 2014
@Slartibartfass those are great images of your Capri 22. Good looking boat. Hope they can help @pointbreak805 as to how a boat can be rigged. You have fairleads that guide your lines back to the cockpit. Nice.

Jul 31, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 39 Seneca, SC
Hey @pointbreak805,
Wow, forgot there was a manual, thanks for the reminder. My setup is by the book, almost the same as @Slartibartfass though not as pretty. He's commandeered the stock downhaul/foreguy routing to serve some other purpose - probably a bow mounted harpoon gun or some other cool add-on.

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
Hey @pointbreak805,
Wow, forgot there was a manual, thanks for the reminder. My setup is by the book, almost the same as @Slartibartfass though not as pretty. He's commandeered the stock downhaul/foreguy routing to serve some other purpose - probably a bow mounted harpoon gun or some other cool add-on.

Funny... the foreguy/downhaul is for the whisker/spinnaker pole and the yellow line is for the adjustable bowsprit that I can install at the front and adjusts the height/tension on the additional furler for the asym/drifter sail that I can install on there (both on furling units)....

IMG_7659.jpg

IMG_7663.jpg

A torpedo launcher to blast these annoying jet skies out of the water would be nice....