Topping Lift Rigging Recommendations?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I'd appreciate recommendations for rigging a boom-end adjustable topping lift. It's a 38' sloop and the topping lift is only for the Dutchman system.

It's a continuous loop of 1/4" line, with a block and cam cleat at the bottom. This block has to be then pulled down and cleated on the boom end, and must be so it can be loosened when the sail is set.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

jv

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Why do you need a topping lift when the main is hoisted? Does your vang provide any support for the boom?
As I indicated in the original post, the topping lift is for the Dutchman flaking system. Do you know what a Dutchman flaking system is?

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Can you use the main halyard as the topping lift?
Whoa... wait a minute... isn’t the mainsail halyard shackle at the top of the mast attached to the headboard of the mainsail once the mainsail is hoisted? That is where mine is.
Do you mean the cleated end of the halyard? Well, if I uncleat mine, my mainsail comes down...

Jviss, I have a similar problem. There is no masthead sheave for a topping lift that is adjusted at the mast. You could attach a cheek block at the top of the mast and use that. Otherwise, you could attach a V cleat under the end of the boom, shackle a line to the masthead, run it through an eye on the end of the boom and into the V cleat.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Whoa... wait a minute... isn’t the mainsail halyard shackle at the top of the mast attached to the headboard of the mainsail once the mainsail is hoisted? That is where mine is.
Do you mean the cleated end of the halyard? Well, if I uncleat mine, my mainsail comes down...
If the main is down, why does the main halyard (shackle) have to remain attached to the headboard? Is it too hard to snake the halyard through the monofilament lines to get to the aft end of the boom?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Is it a true continuous loop, or an up-and down with one end fixed on the boom and the other run thru the clam?

If a true loop, I would splice a loop of dymeena to itself end-to-end, with a section of cover placed over the line then lock stiched into place to hold at the cleat.

If one end is fixed, use a single length with one end eye-spliced to the boom attachment, and the other (with a cover lock-stiched in place), ready to run thru the cleat.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
So, more detail is needed. I have a Dutchman "System B." Here's the description:
System B with a pennant as a continuous loop of line
Like a clothes line loop, this system can be rotated to bring the clamps down to the deck level to adjust the system or replace the control lines.

The block at the top of the B System is attached to the masthead fitting in place of your existing pennant, while the jam cleat at the bottom is attached to the adjusting line at the end of the boom, so you can adjust your boom height normally.

Here's the manual:
http://dutchmar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Dutchman-B-2013.pdf

By the way, I am not experienced with this, and I'm having an awful time with it. I need help! Need help adjusting, and using it. I haven't successfully operating it yet this year, it's been a train wreck every time.

But, I'm pretty sure I need to be able to slack it when the sail goes up, and tighten it to furl. Is that so?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
You mean the cut of the leech?
No.
My Main Sail in not cut at a 90° angle [foot to luff angle]. Mine is more like 84°.
So I raise my boom to the right point of Leech tension and leave the boom lift alone, after setting the vang.

If your dutchman is 90°, then very little boom lift is needed, especially if you can adjust your vang for leech tension.
Jim...

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Ah, I see. But then you lose the use of the vang for sail trim, no?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
use of the vang for sail trim
Right!!:thumbup:
My Vang is a piston type adjustable.

Once my boom angle is set. Rock and roll.;)
Jim...

PS: I noticed I had like 40' of extra boom lift line and wondered why so much. Then I figured it out, I can use that extra line to reach my winches and haul a bosun's chair to my mast top.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2009
Hunter 34 Comox
Thats one thing I like about my old Hunter 34, it is rigged with 2 main halyards. I use the one not on the mainsail as a topping lift. Got rid of the fixed one years ago.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I'm surprised you are not familiar with a continuous Dutchman topping lift, as they were standard issue on the Catalina 36 that, I believe, you had. It was just rigged to a rear-facing masthead halyard sheave, with only a 5/16 diameter line, I believe. Mine was only used to haul the top block of the Dutchman up to within 10 feet of the mast. During sailing, I lowered it about two feet during sailing to avoid having the Dutchman lines foul the sail shape. If you don't have a spare rear facing masthead sheave, you could mount a single-block by the masthead as there is very little strain on the topping lift used only for that purpose.