Topping Lift or Boomkicker

May 21, 2013
Catalina 25 Long Beach
Hello again,

In preparation of setting up my rig, I would like to gather your opinions on which system you think is best. I want to spend my money as wisely as possible without having to go back and reset up for unwise choices. So here it is, do you prefer a topping Lift or a Boomkicker and why. Thanks for your help and be safe all.

Bladeswell

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
A topping lift has only two slight advantages over a boomkicker (or rigid vang):
1: lower cost
2: will hold more weight if someone falls on it

In all other regards a booomkicker is better.
It is ALWAYS working to hold up the boom, not just when attached
It helps shape the sail in lighter airs
One less line aloft

When done sailing most people with boomkickers or rigid vangs move their main halyard to the end of the boom and tighten it, simulating a topping lift and removing advantage #2 that the topping lift had.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
a vote for "rod" vangs

A topping lift has only two slight advantages over a boomkicker (or rigid vang):
1: lower cost
2: will hold more weight if someone falls on it

In all other regards a booomkicker is better.
It is ALWAYS working to hold up the boom, not just when attached
It helps shape the sail in lighter airs
One less line aloft

When done sailing most people with boomkickers or rigid vangs move their main halyard to the end of the boom and tighten it, simulating a topping lift and removing advantage #2 that the topping lift had.
Ooooooh so true. Our prior 26' boat had a top. lift that would snag batons and I had to add some elastic cord at the end to keep it tensioned, which helped a little. I put up with this for a decade. Our next boat had a rod vang, and we immediately wished we had put one of those on the previous boat!
:)

Loren

Fred

Sep 27, 2008
Catalina 28 mkii 745 Ottawa, Ontario, CA
I put a boomkicker on my H26 and love it. I was surprised how stiff it is when the sail is flaked. It easily supports a boom tent and provides a good amount of support even when moving about on the cabin roof. I do not feel any need to attach the main halyard while at dock. I cannot see going back to a topping lift.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Topping lifts are a PIA. I prefer a rigid vang over the boomkicker... but both do the trick.. You might check the Garhauer Marine rigid vangs. Many of the sailors on this forum have equipped their boats with these affordable devices. I installed this 16:1 model is on my 27 footer... they have a smaller model that might work well on your 25. You should call Garhauer with your questions... all their rigid vangs include custom fittings for your particular boat.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
which also removes the annoying sound of halyad slapping on mast.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
A rigid vang is probably double the price (even from Garhauer) and the installation would be a bit more involved. Installing a Boomkicker is a snap (1-2 h max, with no need to unstep the mast, remove the boom or sail etc.).

For Boomkicker, you need to add a vang, if you don't have one already (which may add to the cost (a couple of fiddle blocks plus extras).

so a rigid vang vs. boomkicker is a 6 vs 1/2 dozen (almost).

A question to those who switched from a topping lift to a rigid vang or a boomkicker: what did you do with the existing topping lift? Left it just in case (spare (emergency) halyard, secondary support when going up the mast?) or removed completely?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
A rigid vang is probably double the price (even from Garhauer) and the installation would be a bit more involved. Installing a Boomkicker is a snap (1-2 h max, with no need to unstep the mast, remove the boom or sail etc.).

For Boomkicker, you need to add a vang, if you don't have one already (which may add to the cost (a couple of fiddle blocks plus extras).

so a rigid vang vs. boomkicker is a 6 vs 1/2 dozen (almost).

A question to those who switched from a topping lift to a rigid vang or a boomkicker: what did you do with the existing topping lift? Left it just in case (spare (emergency) halyard, secondary support when going up the mast?) or removed completely?
When I installed my rigid vang I removed nothing, except the old soft vang. The mainsail can be left folded on the boom. Garhauer fabricated the mast and boom bracket to fit perfectly. I was told what type of fasteners worked best... so I did spend another $10.... plus $7 for the correct size drill and tap... Total time for installation was about 1 1/2 hours... An experience person could install in 30 minutes or less.

As far as price goes... the boomkicker rod kit for a 25 footer will cost over $200. A new 4:1 soft vang with two double fiddles and cam cleat will cost around $120 (double that from westmarine). The larger 16:1 rigid vang I pictured earlier now sells for $495... I bought mine 14 years ago for 275. The smaller Garhauer rigid vang, 12:1, I think sells for 275 and is stainless... I would go for the newer model Aluminum R-6 ... priced at $375 and rated up to a 32 foot boat... really nice looking unit...

So installation is a non issue... therefore it comes down to price...and for less than a $100 more you can get an extremely functional piece of sailing hardware that is also enhances the beauty of you boat.

re: top lift question.... Mine was a funky static line with small purchase system and cleat at boom end. That static wire is now wrapped around the backstay and serves absolutely no purpose.. I'll remove it someday.... have forgotten the last three times up the stick... not important. I use the main halyard clipped to the boom end for stabilization. Got rid of that infernal boom pigtail, though.

May 21, 2013
Catalina 25 Long Beach
Thanks again guys,

I will be giving serious consideration to the rigid vang. I also discovered that Garhauer is located in Upland ,Ca. No more than a half hour drive away for me. Another savings in shipping and handling. I have also heard nothing but good reports about Garhauer quality. Again, my thanks.

Bladeswell