Top skylight broken

May 18, 2017
Catalina Capri 22 New Jersey
Hi all, just broke the small rectangular shaped white opaque skylight on the topside of my Catalina Capri. It is the small piece of plastic that gets covered when you open the hatch. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a replacement for it? Thank you.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
They have repair kits at CatalinaDirect.com for $30. Search for deadlight repair kit

Les

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Another option, if it's like the one on the C22 New Design, it to replace it with a small piece of polycarbonate plastic.

Just a note...
On the New Design, there are 2 pieces (upper and lower). If the upper one leaks, or is cracked, the lower piece will trap the water and likely allow it to seep into the hull coring.
When I replaced mine, I eliminated the lower piece and made a trim ring out of teak to cover the edge of the fiberglass.

Now, if/when the deadlight leaks, the water will simply drip into the cabin, which will make it more likely to be found and therefore re-sealed.

Last edited:
May 18, 2017
Thanks, Lee. That's a very beautiful fix. Mine has the new design, so I will be sure to cover it completely until I get the kit.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
@Sealover another option when you use the kit, is to use epoxy to fully seal where the inner and outer deck sections meet. Once you have the 2 deadlight pieces removed you will see what I mean.

Some boats don't need sealing there. It all comes down to how much attention was paid when the built you particular boat. "Stormwatch" was about 95% sealed, and I filled the rest with some left over West System Six10 I had from another project.

With the joint sealed, I could have installed an interior plastic deadlight again, but I was also trying to improve the amount of light coming though it. I ended up using a single piece of clear polycarbonate on the deck side.
That allowed the mounting lip to be visible, so I plan on re mounting it with opaque black sealant.

Photo below shows how the clear piece looks without a nice opaque border.

May 18, 2017
Thanks for that tip, Leeward. I'll keep it in mind when I remove the old deadlight pieces.