top of the inner shrouds

Apr 6, 2014
catalina capri 18 carlyle lake, il
should the inner shroud mount near the spreader be straight or is there a curve built into it? mine has a bend and im thinking that the previous owner may have screwed something up. they were both taped to keep them from coming out.

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Check the shroud when under sail to see if the bend is still there. If the bend is still there then look up the mast to see if the center of the mast, where this shroud is attached, is always pulled towards that bent shroud. You have to check it at all points of sail both port and starboard. If port and starboard are different then you will need to adjust the other shroud tension so the bend or no bend in the mast is the same under load port and starboard.

Sep 30, 2009
Catalina Capri 22 (loved my old C-22) NorCal
sailorsteve1,

I believe you are referring to the fitting at the top of your lower shroud. The Capri 18 and 22 use a t-bar fitting which is supposed to be curved like the picture on the left. The hole is often taped to prevent them from falling out while you raise the mast.

That said, Catalina Direct has a new issued a warning about this arrangement for the lower shrouds and has developed a replacement set up that some folks have used with great satisfaction. Here's a link for the Capri-22 set:

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index...all-rig-improved-retrofit-cp-22-mki--mkii.cfm

They also make a replacement set for the Capri 18. I haven't replaced mine yet, but know that I probably should.

Hope that helps.

Attachments

Apr 6, 2014
catalina capri 18 carlyle lake, il
i appreciate the advice and i can see where the new shrouds are a whole lot better than the original setup. thanks dave so much for the pics and the info. ill probably sail as is for the rest of the season and then change over to the improved version. you have been a big help