Too much lee helm H260

May 17, 2017
Hunter H260 Prince George
First time sailing the boat close hauled with any kind of wind > 8kts. Don't specifically recall the set on the topping lift but I usually keep it slack with the main up.

May 17, 2017
Good question about the outboard being down or not. It was one of the first thoughts in my mind as well so I raised it but to no effect.

May 17, 2017
Reagarding the steerage, I'm not completly convinced I have all the rudder travel available with the wheel steering set up. When I move the rudder by hand at dock there seems to be about an inch more travel till it hits the stop with the wheel all the way over.

May 17, 2017
How quickly did you, do you, "Helms Alee" I can understand if too slow you will scrub off all the speed and end up in irons.
I understand, but the boat did not slow down at all when I tried to turn into the wind, kept on her close hauled point with the helm all the way over to windward.

Oct 29, 2016
Pearson 31-2 Bras D'or
Chuck, I am sure you are on the right track and will figure this out, your vessel is perfect for the Shuswap and you will get many hours of enjoyment. Here is a site that will provide pretty well everything you need to know about the H260 and lots of support.
http://h260.com/

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Wheel boat. Ok.

Never turn the rudder more than 30 degrees. Your ‘hard over’ might be stalling the rudder. Can you tell how far your rudder is turning?

You also said ‘was clipping along on a close reach’. Why not close hauled? Try the tack from Close hauled. Report on that.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
We make fun of our Cape Dory friend who describes "Setting up for a nice reach." We call it "Over standing."

May 17, 2017
Thank for all your responses. I'm overwhelmed by the willingness of this community to offer help, wasn't expecting that. You gave me a lot to think about and try. This is a great site and look forward to following it.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Is this inability to, "Come About" the same on a starboard tack?
What are the total number of turns of the wheel stop to stop?
When you proceed to tack, how much more wheel is left? 1/2 rotation, 1/4 rotation, full rotation?

May 17, 2017
Is this inability to, "Come About" the same on a starboard tack?
What are the total number of turns of the wheel stop to stop?
When you proceed to tack, how much more wheel is left? 1/2 rotation, 1/4 rotation, full rotation?
Same issue on both tacks and like I mentioned before, the wheel was all the way over, nothing left.
Unfortunately, my main pastime these days is keeping the driveway free of snow! Come spring I'll have it in the water again and get this sorted out.
I got some good ideas from this thread and there are few things I will try next season that I hope will solve my problem;
1) Make sure the rudder is tied down tight
2) Make sure the boom is centered when close hauled before turning through the wind
3) Make sure all the batten are installed and secure
4) Make sure the mast rake is set correctly

Failing all that, I guess I'll just sail down wind only from now on...

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Chuck, how are you trimmed in the water? What size motor do you have? The hunter 26 had some rocker aft. If you aren't trimmed well, it could be that as soon as you depower coming into the wind your bow lifts (you don't have a lot of draft forward) and your center of lateral resistance shifts aft so that your bow gets blown off before you can fully come up. Since you've mentioned your motor a couple of times, being up or down, tied to you're rudder, I'm just wondering if you may be heavy in the stern or light in the bow.
It also sounds like you have been stalling her out with the rudder like Jackdaw warned. You end up breaking if you put her too hard over too quickly. 3.5 knots is not a lot of momentum to start with. Maybe fall off just a little to pickup speed, then tack.
-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Same issue on both tacks and like I mentioned before, the wheel was all the way over, nothing left.
Chuck, reread Jackdraw's post #27. Specifically "Never turn the rudder more than 30 degrees." Note that he is talking about the rudder, not the wheel. You'll need to figure out how much to turn the wheel to move the rudder that much.

May 17, 2017
Chuck, how are you trimmed in the water? What size motor do you have? The hunter 26 had some rocker aft. If you aren't trimmed well, it could be that as soon as you depower coming into the wind your bow lifts (you don't have a lot of draft forward) and your center of lateral resistance shifts aft so that your bow gets blown off before you can fully come up. Since you've mentioned your motor a couple of times, being up or down, tied to you're rudder, I'm just wondering if you may be heavy in the stern or light in the bow.
It also sounds like you have been stalling her out with the rudder like Jackdaw warned. You end up breaking if you put her too hard over too quickly. 3.5 knots is not a lot of momentum to start with. Maybe fall off just a little to pickup speed, then tack.
-Will (Dragonfly)
Thanks Will, I'm running a 9.8 hp long leg with about 5 gal of fuel on board. Looking at it at rest it seems to be sitting pretty flat, the water line mark is even with the water. Maybe once me and my wife get on the bow comes up a bit? Something to think about next time out, making to sure I stow the heavier supplies and gear more forward and keep the fresh water tank topped up.
From my dingy sailing days, I usually find if you don't have enough momentum as you tack the boat will turn into the wind then end up in irons. The problem I'm having is that it won't turn into the wind, which a you correctly assested , there is a problem with the boat's balance.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Yes I had read that the wheel was all the way over, but where was the wheel prior to tacking? was the wheel all the way over to achieve the close hauled course?

May 17, 2017
Yes I had read that the wheel was all the way over, but where was the wheel prior to tacking? was the wheel all the way over to achieve the close hauled course?
Yes the wheel was all the way over (rudder to the stop) just to maintain a close haul. If I straightened the rudder while on a close haul the boat would bear way to leeward.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
The answer sounds to be in your method of sail trim, too much main sail throwing the boat off balance causing excessive weather helm. Reef the main or open the main up allowing air to spill off, get the helm balance to no more than 5* of weather helm. But I guess that's for next spring we just have to wait out winter first.

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
Chuck,
Another thing I do although I don't know if it helps but the boat seems to sail better is keep water in thee forward potable water tank. Thats up to 200lbs in the bow that helps balance out a boat that is normally stern heavy.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I can hardly believe I’m still reading this thread...but alas here we are. Realizing the fix won’t come until next season, I’ve got one dumb ass, simple question to ask. Is the Hunter 26/260 sailable without water ballast. Would an unballasted, super light hull boat blow offline in a close hauled tack?