Toilet

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
LOL my galley sink has no drain- it lifts out and dumps overboard. But dishes are usually done in cockpit anyway.

MY boat has zero openings below the water line-none. Used to be 7- all glassed over. Cockpit drains moved to above waterline and fitted with valves.
right... my galley and head sinks are both above water line.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Ok, so you're not set up to dump at sea. But you still have enough capacity to last at least through a long weekend. And while it would definitely be a PITA to do, you could disconnect the hoses and carry the tank to cockpit to dump it over the side if you really had to while out in the Gulf far enough. But I suspect the real reason you pee over the side is because you LIKE peeing over the side. :pimp:
--Peggie

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I guess you could pour it down the galley sink... but that is kind of nasty. :yikes:
Okay, raise your hand if you haven't peed down the galley sink when the porta potty was getting full. LOL

Ok, so you're not set up to dump at sea. But you still have enough capacity to last at least through a long weekend. And while it would definitely be a PITA to do, you could disconnect the hoses and carry the tank to cockpit to dump it over the side if you really had to while out in the Gulf far enough.
--Peggie
Our 550P is not MSD equipped, but I have on more than one occasion disassembled the potty, carried the tank to the stern, and emptied it overboard while we were still three+ miles out. It's MUCH easier than carrying the full tank off the boat, down the step ladder, across the yard, into the house, and emptying it in the toilet (where it splashes all over the bathroom), and then doing all the above in reverse. MUCH easier. Although it does gross out the dolphins.

Still. Looking forward to MSD capability. Very, very much. ;)

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Okay, raise your hand if you haven't peed down the galley sink when the porta potty was getting full. LOL

Our 550P is not MSD equipped, but I have on more than one occasion disassembled the potty, carried the tank to the stern, and emptied it overboard while we were still three+ miles out. It's MUCH easier than carrying the full tank off the boat, down the step ladder, across the yard, into the house, and emptying it in the toilet (where it splashes all over the bathroom), and then doing all the above in reverse. MUCH easier. Although it does gross out the dolphins.

Still. Looking forward to MSD capability. Very, very much. ;)
Bear in mind- west coast of Florida is SIX miles out.

And no, I've never peed in the g alley sink- it doesn't have a drain :) It gets lifted up and dumped. I use a coffee can kept in the cockpit. Several of the females who sail with me have these :)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2262456207408404&set=p.2262456207408404&type=3&theater

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
There are only 3 NDZs in FL--the Florida Keys, the waters in the National Marine Sanctuary (where ONLY engine exhaust water is allowed, no bilge water) and Destin Harbor. The discharge of treated waste from a USCG certified Type I or II MSD is allowed in all other FL waters. It's only in the Keys that the "3 mile limit" ( how far from shore you have to be to dump a tank legally) has been extended to 12 miles in the Gulf (the environmental lobby has been trying for years to make it 12 miles on the Atlantic side too, but haven't been able to make that happen). Florida law extends it to 9 miles on the Gulf side in the rest of the state. but not much attention has been paid to enforcement.
--Peggie

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Not quite- sap is entirely different
Guess I'll have to tell Dottie that what she has been using for the past couple months isn't any good ;). I think I will wait to we are back at the boat yard.

When she first used it on our Lake Powell trip a couple years ago she was trying to use it sitting down. After watching her struggle for a couple days I finally said why don't you just stand up like a man. She has been standing ever since and ever thing has been going to where it needs to go :waycool:.

The funnels I'm talking about have the same basic shape as what you showed but the one longer lip isn't quite as long but I've been told that it still works just fine.

Sumner
==========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I remember peeing in a cup, then dumping it down the sink drain because I had already pumped out and was being hauled out when I got back from my last sail of the season.

I regularly pee off the back of the boat, but it was really cold that day and I wasn’t alone.

Don’t call the DNR. Won’t happen again.

Greg

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I remember peeing in a cup, then dumping it down the sink drain because I had already pumped out and was being hauled out when I got back from my last sail of the season.

I regularly pee off the back of the boat, but it was really cold that day and I wasn’t alone.

Don’t call the DNR. Won’t happen again.

Greg
Heard a statistic once that doing that is one of the top reasons men fall off the boat.
The boat lurches and over they go.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have heard that too...many a dead sailor found in the water wit his fly down.

I hook one elbow on the stern rail and stand on the swim platform. Haven’t fallen in yet, but probably jinxed myself now. And I am usually solo with AP engaged...that will be a sad day.

Greg

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
lol That's why I keep an empty coffee can in the cockpit
Had a friend who had a trawler- he kept a silver plated coffee mug right outside the wheel house door just or that. Somebody stole it and he got the biggest kick thinking of them drinking coffee from it !!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Heard a statistic once that doing that is one of the top reasons men fall off the boat.The boat lurches and over they go.
VERY rare from a boat big enough to have a cockpit. 99% of 'em are men out fishing alone on an open runabout/"bass" boat on an inland lake or river. They're often out before dawn, even earlier 'cuz that's when they're biting...rarely if ever wearing a PFD...and while most aren't drinking alcohol, a few are drinking beer. They stand up to pee over side...the boat rocks and over they go. Those boats have low freeboard, but too high for a guy that's 25-40 lbs overweight to pull himself back in. But even if he's not overweight, he may not know how to swim but may be too far from shore to make it and/or "shore" is just a marsh. With no PFD to keep him afloat, even the slight current of a creek feeding the river separates him further and further from the boat and no one around to hear him yell for help, he drowns....with his fly open.
--Peggie

tjar

Aug 8, 2011
Hunter Legend 35.5 Tacoma, WA
So, the moral of the story is... if you find yourself up a creek and drifting away from your boat, close your fly!

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
VERY rare from a boat big enough to have a cockpit. 99% of 'em are men out fishing alone on an open runabout/"bass" boat on an inland lake or river. They're often out before dawn, even earlier 'cuz that's when they're biting...rarely if ever wearing a PFD...and while most aren't drinking alcohol, a few are drinking beer. They stand up to pee over side...the boat rocks and over they go. Those boats have low freeboard, but too high for a guy that's 25-40 lbs overweight to pull himself back in. But even if he's not overweight, he may not know how to swim but may be too far from shore to make it and/or "shore" is just a marsh. With no PFD to keep him afloat, even the slight current of a creek feeding the river separates him further and further from the boat and no one around to hear him yell for help, he drowns....with his fly open.
--Peggie
Peggy
Funny you cited that fly open part. I’d hear that too but couldn’t figure out how to diplomatically include it so I left it out. You made me laugh. Thank you :)