Today it gets real:

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Every boat needs a glove box-- sailing last weekend reminded me that I have a lot of unfinished business to attend to as we get ready to have an extended overnight away from our home waters. Trailer is now upgraded and roadworthy-- but I was complaining about not having reinstalled the coaming boxes. PO had made a complete mess of attempting to re-attach-- epoxy to the rescue. A little collodial silica and they are rock solid with no fasteners. Also had rebuilt the coaming trim as PO had broken them both when uninstalling -- good as new now but didn't want to use anything permanent to attach them. A little butyl tape on the back side and a day worth of clamp pressure appears to be a good fix. Last but not least prior to a long weekend out-- new cushions being created from scratch as I inherited none with the boat. Color scheme below-- can't wait for the finished product. Green/Blue/White striped material is the top-- solid green sunbrella below it will be bottom and veriticals.

IMG_0294.JPG
IMG_0295.JPG
IMG_0300.JPG
IMG_0301.JPG

D584DD65-9258-4637-AD0C-F8C3F8E53306.jpeg

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Nice work. :)

I worry that a hot day would make the butyl soften enough for the trim to fall off. ?

I'd been considering just refinishing the coaming box trim in place.
Even to the point of using epoxy as the first stage, then the varnish or cetol.
But I must admit i'm worried about using epoxy permanently bonding them to coaming, if some of it gets behind the masking tape.
No idea what adhesive was used to mount them previously and removing them will likely result in broken teak that I'd have to repair

What foam are you using for the cushions and how thick ?

We got cushions with out boat, but they were open cell crap, so they ended up at a thrift store.

I'm considering using:
- 1" thick blue foam (like a thick yoga mat) with no cover at all (not sure about durability)
- 1/2" thick camping/sleeping mat
- Small mechanics kneeling pads, so that most of the cockpit is cushion free. (safer to stand on just the fibreglass, and would be easier to store)

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
Nice work. :)

I worry that a hot day would make the butyl soften enough for the trim to fall off. ?

I'd been considering just refinishing the coaming box trim in place.
Even to the point of using epoxy as the first stage, then the varnish or cetol.
But I must admit i'm worried about using epoxy permanently bonding them to coaming, if some of it gets behind the masking tape.
No idea what adhesive was used to mount them previously and removing them will likely result in broken teak that I'd have to repair

What foam are you using for the cushions and how thick ?

We got cushions with out boat, but they were open cell crap, so they ended up at a thrift store.

I'm considering using:
- 1" thick blue foam (like a thick yoga mat) with no cover at all (not sure about durability)
- 1/2" thick camping/sleeping mat
- Small mechanics kneeling pads, so that most of the cockpit is cushion free. (safer to stand on just the fibreglass, and would be easier to store)
I have 1" uncovered foam cushions that are like yoga mats on my current boat and they are very durable and very comfortable. My last boat I bought regular blue yoga mats (1/2" I think) on sale and they worked well too.

Jul 13, 2015
Catalina 22 #2552 2252 Kennewick, WA
Foam will be 4 inches-- "ultra medium" which according to them is the most comfortable for long term use. In the cockpit I went with the 2" closed cell foam in a ballistic white fabric -- picked those up from online retailers that have the cat 22 layout already to go.

the butyl will definitely hold up to the heat (been 100+ the last 3 days running) but what I'm finding it cannot accommodate for is the spring tension in the wood. The trim is ancient and one piece has a slight outward curve so that the straight lines are tight to the liner, but the curved sections want to pull away just a tad. It can stay that way forever in my opinion-- looks fine and no way its "falling off" , but I may compensate with a bit of a "shim" of butyl if the tiny gap bothers me.