To Paint or Not to Paint

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
No reason to paint and spend so much time and money on paint that you will never see. You think the boats that brought the explorers to the Americas had this fancy paint on their boats?
I'd be really interested to see how they made the hull look like it just came out of the mold 20 years later, assuming of course that the hull was even still around 20 years later.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I think redace45 asked an interesting question.

I dislike the snarky posts of Stu Jackson and fstbttms, who did not offer a single good reason why a hull that gets professionally cleaned monthly should be painted.

Jun 6, 2015
Catalina 25' Madeira Beach, FL

I dislike the snarky posts of Stu Jackson and fstbttms, who did not offer a single good reason why a hull that gets professionally cleaned monthly should be painted.
You are a gentleman and a scholar...

Jun 6, 2015
I'd be really interested to see how they made the hull look like it just came out of the mold 20 years later, assuming of course that the hull was even still around 20 years later.

My boat is 35 years old, and it's still floating...

Jun 6, 2015
No reason to paint and spend so much time and money on paint that you will never see. You think the boats that brought the explorers to the Americas had this fancy paint on their boats?

Well put! Now, why didn't I think of that? :redface:

Jun 6, 2015
Ach, NOW, we finally have a meeting of the minds. :):):)

Here's what I suggest you consider doing: Find a 6 foot long 2x4, and tie it to your dock with 3 feet of it in the water. Come back a week later and pull it out.

Better yet, look at the pilings or the bottom of your dock and see what's growin' there.

REPLY: OK, now we can turn this into a science project???

I don't need to do that (with the 2X4). When the tide goes out, I see all those creepy things attached to the pilings; but, you know what, those pilings are still standing!!! (Do they need painting???) :Liar:

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
REPLY: OK, now we can turn this into a science project???

I don't need to do that (with the 2X4). When the tide goes out, I see all those creepy things attached to the pilings; but, you know what, those pilings are still standing!!! (Do they need painting???) :Liar:
You really are a HOOT! :dance::dance::dance:

Would you like to go sailing with that kinda crap on the bottom of your boat?:eek:

Your boat, your choice. :)

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA

Because a hull without anti fouling paint quickly becomes too foul to truly clean, regardless of how often you clean it. Don't believe me? I suggest you try it sometime. I certainly have.

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
you may not like the post but the truth is the truth ..and you will not like taking a brick masons chisel and hammer and knocking all that crap of the bottom of your hull even more and you will not like hitting a 3 knot current trying to get back into your port when all that growth lets you only go 3.5 knots against the 3 know current at WOT even more ...one thing i have found is that when someone tells me something i don't want to hear or how they tell me is i get offensive and then i have to step back and think things out to determine if it was meant for me or for the question ...theses guys are dedicated to the betterment of sailing ...not in it for a penny they are there for the pound ...so as has been stated ..."your boat your choice"

Jun 6, 2015
you may not like the post but the truth is the truth ..and you will not like taking a brick masons chisel and hammer and knocking all that crap of the bottom of your hull even more and you will not like hitting a 3 knot current trying to get back into your port when all that growth lets you only go 3.5 knots against the 3 know current at WOT even more ...one thing i have found is that when someone tells me something i don't want to hear or how they tell me is i get offensive and then i have to step back and think things out to determine if it was meant for me or for the question ...theses guys are dedicated to the betterment of sailing ...not in it for a penny they are there for the pound ...so as has been stated ..."your boat your choice"

Yeah, the "chisel and hammer" scares me. Even my diver's email to me about using a "chisel" got my attention...

(What if he were to miss, and chisel out a part of the hull???
Is he responsible for damages???)) :cussing:

So, from all these replies to my original post, I think I may end up selling the boat! :cry:
Oh, OK, I may be kidding about that part? NOT! :naughty:
Or, I could take it out on the Gulf, scuttle it, and collect the insurance?
(Oh, wait, I'd better insure it first???) :doh:

Seriously! I get the gist of what everybody is saying about: "to paint or not to paint".
Somehow, however, when my diver suggests it, I'm thinking it would make life easier for him??? (Notice the question marks at the end of these sentences...)

In any event, I don't plan on pulling the boat out of the water before the end of the year to have it painted (my choice) as we approach prime sailing time here in the Tampa Bay area. Maybe in 2016, or I'll sell it, or I'll sink it??? (Again question marks...) :dance:

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE FEED BACK! HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

RedAce

Feb 26, 2004

Really?

Jun 6, 2015
Because a hull without anti fouling paint quickly becomes too foul to truly clean, regardless of how often you clean it. Don't believe me? I suggest you try it sometime. I certainly have.
Sounds like to me that you're in the hull cleaning business??? :eek:

Feb 26, 2004
Seriously! I get the gist of what everybody is saying about: "to paint or not to paint".
Somehow, however, when my diver suggests it, I'm thinking it would make life easier for him??? (Notice the question marks at the end of these sentences...)

In any event, I don't plan on pulling the boat out of the water before the end of the year to have it painted (my choice) as we approach prime sailing time here in the Tampa Bay area. Maybe in 2016, or I'll sell it, or I'll sink it??? (Again question marks...) :dance:

Making life easier for him is NOT the concept. I think you now know that.

If you don't sail every day and are a weekender, you can have the boat pulled on Monday and have it back on the water Wednesday or Friday.

If you can sail every day, then to haul and paint your boat would be all of three whole days outta your sailing life.

Don't sink the boat, you'd miss her! :eek:

Glad we could help.

And woodster, thanks.:):):)

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Yeah, the "chisel and hammer" scares me. Even my diver's email to me about using a "chisel" got my attention...

(What if he were to miss, and chisel out a part of the hull???
Is he responsible for damages???)) :cussing:

So, from all these replies to my original post, I think I may end up selling the boat! :cry:
Oh, OK, I may be kidding about that part? NOT! :naughty:
Or, I could take it out on the Gulf, scuttle it, and collect the insurance?
(Oh, wait, I'd better insure it first???) :doh:

RedAce
i didnt mean to discourage you into selling or scuttling your boat but just keep in mind that if you go to the dark side (power boat) you will have to paint the bottom just the same ...surely there is some place you can haul out and pressure was the boat and put a coat of paint on it ...you will not be sorry if you do ...another thing to keep in mind is that with a good healthy bottom you may find that you can keep the cleaning down to quarterly as opposed to monthly so the bottom cleaner will have shoot himself in the foot on that one ...oh and if you use the boat more often you will have a cleaner bottom in the long run with fresh bottom paint ...good luck

Jun 6, 2015
i didnt mean to discourage you into selling or scuttling your boat but just keep in mind that if you go to the dark side (power boat) you will have to paint the bottom just the same ...surely there is some place you can haul out and pressure was the boat and put a coat of paint on it ...you will not be sorry if you do ...another thing to keep in mind is that with a good healthy bottom you may find that you can keep the cleaning down to quarterly as opposed to monthly so the bottom cleaner will have shoot himself in the foot on that one ...oh and if you use the boat more often you will have a cleaner bottom in the long run with fresh bottom paint ...good luck

The "dark side"? That's a laugh. ;)

Here in the Tampa Bay area, the big sport fishing boats equipped with 3 Three-hundred HP outboards are common place. (You risk your life and boat going out on the Gulf just trying to avoid them.) But I doubt I could afford that route. I'm a retard, ....errrr retired! Plus, I don't fish! .....and even if I could afford one of them suckers, I think I could afford a lift!

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

Aug 1, 2011
My boat is 35 years old, and it's still floating...
Why is this discussion even happening if the only criteria is "floating"? Why bother to pay for a diver if there's no intent in keeping the crap off? That just makes no sense, but then, the usual rules apply, your boat, your choice.

Aug 1, 2011
And I'm reasonably sure that any insurance company would do a little more than deny the claim after the boat was lost and there was a very public statement of intent to destroy it as was made here.

Apr 13, 2015
Catalina 309 Port Charlotte
RedAce - you really ought to give careful consideration to the replies by Stu (and others). It can save you a lot of $ and/or effort...

When folks say it makes it easier for your bottom cleaning guy, there is a point at which that really means "possible" (without chisels or grinders - the latter of which no one is going to use while it is in the water).

Dave - Tampa Bay