To Paint or Not to Paint

Jun 6, 2015
Catalina 25' Madeira Beach, FL
I'm a complete newbie to sailing. I recently bought my first sailboat, a used 25' Catalina. I've sailed her by myself numerous times. I've put in a lot of time and effort in fixing her up, but now my diver/cleaner tells me I need a paint job!? WHY? What's the worst that can happen if I don't paint (the hull) her??? :naughty:

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
The barnacles will build up and get so thick and lumpy that she will hardly move under sail or power. If left long enough, the buildup can get heavy enough to sink a boat. And they are very difficult to remove once they get attached. All boats left in the water need bottom paint. Different paints work better in different areas, you should inquire with other sailors in your area what works best.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
That's correct. You might want to do some homework on anti-fouling paint, aka bottom paint. Vendors' websites explain it quite well.

Jun 6, 2015
Thanks guys for your input. Yeah, but....

I understand the "build up" of barnacles, but that's why I pay a diver to clean them off every month! But, if I don't paint (right now) will the barnacles eat out a section of the hull??? lol...

In researching paints, I can understand why you'd need to paint a power boat, but a sailboat??? My diver tells me that he doesn't see any blisters in the fiberglass, and the boat is a 1980. The people I bought it from owned it for four years, and I'm pretty sure they never painted the hull, and it's still floating! (-:

Give me some worst case scenarios if I don't paint!

In the short time that I've owned and sailed her, this boat moves out quite well under sail. I've never had a radar gun put on it, but people who have seen it sail, tell me she's a fast boat...

Even I got it painted, it would still require monthly cleaning??? Am I right or wrong???

Oct 22, 2005
Hunter 44DS Redondo Beach, CA
New bottom paint inhibits growth (depending on the type you use, or is allowed in your area) and makes it easier to remove any growth that is there. As it ages the ability to inhibit growth disappears. As it wears off growth becomes harder and harder to remove, requiring more time from your diver. In the end, you'll find that your diver will start charging you more, insist that it needs to be cleaned more often, or tell you to find someone else to clean it.

Bottom paint is part of standard maintenance for any boat kept in the water and we all have to have it redone every 2 to 5 years. If having a diver clean our boats once a month (or less depending on where you are) negated the need for bottom paint none of us would fork out the hundreds (or thousands for those of us with bigger boats) to have it done every 2-5 years.

Jun 6, 2015
New bottom paint inhibits growth (depending on the type you use, or is allowed in your area) and makes it easier to remove any growth that is there. As it ages the ability to inhibit growth disappears. As it wears off growth becomes harder and harder to remove, requiring more time from your diver. In the end, you'll find that your diver will start charging you more, insist that it needs to be cleaned more often, or tell you to find someone else to clean it.

Bottom paint is part of standard maintenance for any boat kept in the water and we all have to have it redone every 2 to 5 years. If having a diver clean our boats once a month (or less depending on where you are) negated the need for bottom paint none of us would fork out the hundreds (or thousands for those of us with bigger boats) to have it done every 2-5 years.

Thanks Lee for your input. You stated what I was thinking! It makes it easier to clean (for the diver). I haven't checked out how much it will cost to have the bottom painted, but I'm guessing it could buy a lot of bottom cleanings??? lol...

Or maybe, I'll end up doing the paint and/or the cleaning myself??? (-:

Thanks again...

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
It makes it easier to clean (for the diver).
While that is certainly the case, that is not the primary reason to keep viable anti fouling paint on your hull. Your boat will perform better and pollute less with a clean bottom. And no diver wants to clean a sh*tty bottom. Regardless of what he charges you.

I haven't checked out how much it will cost to have the bottom painted, but I'm guessing it could buy a lot of bottom cleanings???
While I can see that proper boat maintenance may not be tops on your list of priorities, applying new anti fouling paint and having it cleaned are two regular and necessary parts of this aspect of boat ownership. Don't cheap-out. Ultimately, you are only screwing yourself out of some of the joy of the sport.

Feb 26, 2004
Yeah, but....

Give me some worst case scenarios if I don't paint!

Even I got it painted, it would still require monthly cleaning??? Am I right or wrong???
I always get a kick out of someone, who is usually new to boating, who asks a question and then argues with the answers.

Redace, if you were right, then millions of sailboat owners wouldn't bother to paint the bottom of their boats with bottom paint.

We do it for a reason. Have you looked into the suggestion I made earlier to read paint websites?

In a month or two, your bottom, without paint, will, I say WILL, be growing all sorts of nasties that will start slowing you down, stuff that even a good diver will eventually NOT be able to remove, regardless of how long he's down there.

What we are telling you is that it is part of Basic Boat Maintenance 101. No different than servicing your winches or replacing the oil in your outboard's bottom end.

If you choose not to listen, your boat, your choice.:)

You have a great boat, I owned one for 13 years. You might also ask here and get to know those C25 skippers: http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3

Betcha they'll tell you the same thing.

Gee, you're right on this one! We all do. Quarterly at the very least.

Good luck.

Jun 6, 2015
While that is certainly the case, that is not the primary reason to keep viable anti fouling paint on your hull. Your boat will perform better and pollute less with a clean bottom. And no diver wants to clean a sh*tty bottom. Regardless of what he charges you.

"Pollute less" from the "sh*tty bottom"...

Oh man, are you going to report me to the EPA if I don't paint??? lol...

Jun 6, 2015
Ahhhhh Geeeeez.....

I always get a kick out of someone, who is usually new to boating, who asks a question and then argues with the answers.

Who's arguing? I'm looking for intelligent answers.

Redace, if you were right, then millions of sailboat owners wouldn't bother to paint the bottom of their boats with bottom paint.

Well, I can't speak for those "millions", but since I moved to Florida and bought this boat, I see "a lot" of sailboats just sitting in their slips, and I'm wondering why? Do you think these guys need a paint job???

FYI: I took my boat out for the day last Saturday on the Gulf. As I scanned the horizon from Clearwater to St Pete's Beach, I only saw one other sail off in the distance.

Maybe it's just a difference in attitude between Florida and California??? lol...

You have a great boat, I owned one for 13 years. You might also ask here and get to know those C25 skippers: http://catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=3

Thanks for the tip on this website. I'll check it out....

Feb 26, 2004
Argumentative

Well, I can't speak for those "millions", but since I moved to Florida and bought this boat, I see "a lot" of sailboats just sitting in their slips, and I'm wondering why? Do you think these guys need a paint job???

FYI: I took my boat out for the day last Saturday on the Gulf. As I scanned the horizon from Clearwater to St Pete's Beach, I only saw one other sail off in the distance.
What the heck does the location of the boats in their slips and/or whether they are sailing or not have to do with bottom paint? They all have bottom paint. It ain't a California or Florida thing, it's a water and boat thing.

Or are you just being obtuse, 'cuz I don't think many of us "get" your sense of humor.:doh:

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
"Pollute less" from the "sh*tty bottom"...

Oh man, are you going to report me to the EPA if I don't paint??? lol...
A foul bottom means you burn more fuel and produce more hydrocarbon emissions. But hey, it's your dime and you are obviously an expert on the subject.

Jun 6, 2015
A foul bottom means you burn more fuel and produce more hydrocarbon emissions. But hey, it's your dime and you are obviously an expert on the subject.

"Burn more fuel"??? It's a sailboat!!! DUH!

Jun 6, 2015
What the heck does the location of the boats in their slips and/or whether they are sailing or not have to do with bottom paint? They all have bottom paint. It ain't a California or Florida thing, it's a water and boat thing.

Or are you just being obtuse, 'cuz I don't think many of us "get" your sense of humor.:doh:
"Obtuse"??? No one has ever accused me of that. So, you're the first! Congrats!

"many of us", or just you??? :dance:

Feb 26, 2004
Please help us

...and I promise I won't refer to you as being arrogant or peremptory! :naughty:

Ach, NOW, we finally have a meeting of the minds. :):):)

And welcome to our fun little forum.

Nice to have you here. Really.

So, just for grins & giggles, let us know what you really feel about bottom paint, perhaps in a day or so. ;););)

Here's what I suggest you consider doing: Find a 6 foot long 2x4, and tie it to your dock with 3 feet of it in the water. Come back a week later and pull it out.

Better yet, look at the pilings or the bottom of your dock and see what's growin' there.

Your boat, your choice. :)

Please, with all good intentions and in a friendly manner, please let us know what you find. Thanks.

Stu

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
It's wonderful (sometimes) to be in northern climates. The few things that could possibly start to grow in the three days the boats are in the water are quickly frozen off in between.

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
No reason to paint and spend so much time and money on paint that you will never see. You think the boats that brought the explorers to the Americas had this fancy paint on their boats?