To generate or not to generate? Wife's dilemma...

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
When the Hot Humid weather starts here in Florida that’s when our Gen
really comes in handy and it also heats water when out anchored for showing and charging.
I try to make things as comfortable as possible for my wife to enjoy out on our boat even if not hot.
We also have big battery bank of 4-6 volt and one start battery with 400 watts of solar to run our front load ref and another portable ref and all the tablets and smart phones and yes TV at night and with solar when not hot out we run Gen less.
But the Gen is needed most times because most times we like anchoring out with many other boater friends.
Depending on how many in your family and how much you want to enjoy boating you really might want the Genon that 41 bigger boat might be better for you.
Nick

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
We are on KY lake and use our genset full time when away from the dock on our Hunter 356. If you have the typical marine HVAC unit it is a water to air heat pump and will cool and heat. There are times in SW Florida it’s cold on the water. The heat will be a good feature too. It also keeps the interior humidity down while cruising. We spent one winter in Punta Gorda in 2013-14 and spent 3 days down and a week coming back north in Clearwater marina. You will have a very comfortable boat year round with the generator. It runs our 16000 BTUH heat pump, TV, water heater, microwave, and freezer/refrigeration. Our Northern Lights 5KW uses about 5-6 gallons of fuel in 24 hours. We have a custom sound enclosure and it’s a low hum that you get used to. 20 feet away from the boat in an anchorage, nobody can hear our genset. With it, you expand your choices 100 fold.

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
When we looked at getting into sailing and saw a boat available with a generator we got it as it gave us the flexibility with A/C and heating, battery charging and running heavy AC devices. Wife heard that and sealed the deal.
Have a 4.2 kw system professionally installed not sure if I would go back to a boat without it. I have a larger charger with a inverter and larger battery bank to install this spring but when I want to run the A/C on the hook, it works....
Jeff