To Epoxy or Not to Epoxy??

Nov 11, 2016
Beneteau 381 Midland, Ontario
We purchased a 2000 Benny 381 late last season and plan to have her bottom spruced up this spring. Need to decide how much effort and $$$ should be allocated to this job.
Currently there is 2-3 layers of patchy black anti-fouling paint, origin unknown. I have am committed to have the yard do a proper sand blasting job and get us down to the gelcoat. If I had more time I would attempt this myself but we have short sailing seasons in Ontario!
When the S/V was surveyed there we no blisters of any kind and below the waterline was rated "good" for a 16 year old boat.
In 5 to 8 years we plan on taking the boat South but my question is, when is the right time to epoxy? Ultimate goal is a fare and smooth surface that I can apply VC17 to every second year.
Thoughts?

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The right time to epoxy is when you have done the considerable effort of removing ALL bottom paint, double-rag wiped the hull thoroughly, have a bare gelcoat surface and are ready to apply the anti-fouling paint you hope to keep until you are willing to again spend the thousands of dollars you spent to have all that work done. Recommendation; have several local sweet water boatyards evaluate you bottom paint, take your best informed guess what you have and have them GENTLY smooth and reapply a compatible paint. As David says, you will have to get it off if you do the southern migration via into the salt.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
You should have the bottom soda blasted ,not sand blasted ,there are companies in the Toronto area . It should then get 4 coats or more interlux 2000e get white and gray colours so you know you are getting full coverage (not missing any areas)
When the last coat is applied , start putting on interlux micron. Reason being is that Micron is hard to get it to stick
and will adhere to the tacky epoxy.
With this system you can almost guarantee no blisters
Micron is good for fresh and salt and doesn't have to be done every year. Micron will build up and get patchy if it gets to thick and starts to come off.
That is more than likely what's on the bottom of your boat and is too thick. You could just sand the micron down
and re apply .
Did you buy this boat in Whitby? If so I believe you have Micron.
I believe Soda Pro is in Mississauga and will travel

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I agree that the best approach would be to soda blast the bottom and start over with an interlux 2000 barrier coat. In my opinion for what its worth, 2 coats would be adequate. Four coats might be a bit excessive.
Interlux recommends that the bottom paint be applied while the final coat of 2000 is still a bit tacky. Since you are in fresh water, my vote would be for VC 17 rather than Micron. I have seen VC17 last for a couple of seasons, but because it is so easy to prep and apply, I have been doing it routinely every Spring. The paint simply does not build up the way an ablative does.
My 323 needs about 2-1/2 quarts to cover with enough left over to double coat along the water line. Prep amounts to wiping down the bottom with alcohol, and masking the water line. Actual painting takes less than an hour, and you can launch 20 minutes later.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Sorry to disagree but interlux clearly states 4 to 5 coats or it will not protect. My last boat had 5 coats was a 1981 with a baby smooth finish and I used vc17 and 1 quart did 2 coats.
An old fellow in the yard showed me when I first started do not open can to atmosphere or put in a paint tray . Vc17 will flash off very fast and you will lose half of the product, cool days are better in the morning to apply.
Open can add copper powder, put lid back on shake. Make a small hole in lid with a nail and pour product on to roller and apply. I had a guy beside go thru 2 cans on a smaller boat and couldn't believe it ,when he watched me do mine.
If the original poster is going south in a few years ,vc17 is not for him and if micron is done right, where he is sailing and short season he could do the bottom every 2 to 3 years saving time and money.
I also learned from interlux guy do not power wash boat with micron , let it dry and take a corn broom to bottom(fresh water)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
When I bought the B323, the dealer asked if I wanted no 2000, or 2 coats, or the max of 4. I opted for 2. For 10 years I've been using Micron CSC, hauling every two years to paint. Last year I hauled, and before the pressure spray, the yard guy saw the clean bottom and asked if I did this every year. I said, no, it has been THREE years this time. The hull looked that good... but the keel.... not so good.

Nov 11, 2016
Beneteau 381 Midland, Ontario
Thanks to all for commentary. Will make the call in two weeks after the hull gets sand blasted. Marina and I will inspect up close what/or what lies underneath the thick layers of Micron.
Cheers.