To bilge or not to bilge.... That is the question

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
An electric pump is a waste on a small boat that doesn't have a true bilge (single lowest collection point).
I disagree.
I see an electric bilge pump as protection against sinking at a dock, due to small leaks, when the boat is unattended.

Based on when my depth transducer was leaking on my 87, most water makes it's way back to the volcano area. (because the C22 usually sits lower in the stern)
Some is trapped, but a hole drilled between areas should solve much of that.
Besides, left long enough, eventually the water will get high enough to flow to back to near the volcano.

This season my boat will be at a dock and I will DIY install an electric one that works without a float switch. (along with a remote monitoring device)
It's extremely rare, to get any water in, but I figure why not. Especially if it helps with insurance and marina regulations.

This spring I will also be removing and filling my old transducer and speed log thru-hulls, so that only the volcano and sink drain are there.
(cockpit drains through the transom)
When I service my keel I'm considering filling the sink drain in as well, (and using a water jug as a grey water tank)

I have yet to look into all manual bilge pumps but I suspect that a bucket will work faster than a bilge bump. Especially when my wife is telling me to bail faster.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2017
Catalina C22 Solomon's Island, MD
I put one in last summer, with a manual switch, but haven't had any occasion to see it in action. I mounted it next to the volcano tube, and keep the hose coiled back in the volcano area. If I need it, I'll run the hose out the companionway to the cockpit scuppers. My thinking is if the boat is taking on water, everyone will be out in the cockpit, and that should drive the bilge water astern. Hopefully, whatever leak arises could also be plugged or stuffed in some fashion, to slow it down.

I sail on the Chesapeake, and having young kids on board, I feel better with the thought of having it.

Last edited:

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
...I will DIY install an electric one that works without a float switch....
One potential caveat: Some of the "fully automatic" pumps that work without an external float switch do so by cycling the pump every few minutes. They run for a few seconds and measure the electrical current to determine whether or not they're pumping water, and then cycle off. E.g the automatic ones at https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?6220. There are others (e.g. https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?6210) that must have an a float switch built in. I didn't know of the latter type when I did mine (or maybe they weren't available then).

I shied away from the cycling type because I thought I'd be annoyed and find it hard to sleep with the pump coming on every couple minutes. I've never used one; maybe others who have will chime in and say it's no big deal. But maybe something to consider. (also, if I ever get down far enough on my TODO list to play with arduino and build a remote monitoring system, I would want to be sure the pump only cycles on when it's actually sensing water, so any alerts it sends me are real ones; but that project is likely to remain on the "next year" list indefinitely).

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Some of the "fully automatic" pumps that work without an external float switch do so by cycling the pump every few minutes.
Interesting.. never heard of the ones that cycle.
All I've ever used or seen on boats were the float style.

We had a 120VAC pump in our basement, with electrical probes that detect water. it would activate with 1/2" of water, with no cycling. The low voltage probes were adjustable and would simply turn the pump on when they touched water, and off when the water got below the probes.
I'd planned on even DIYing one if needed.
That 500GPH rule mate model looks to be the right idea, if not the right capacity.

With any rocking, the water would likely make it cycle on/off though, but I'd mop up any water when aboard to prevent that.
I can't see myself running it all time. I see it more as a solution for driving rain etc., that gets in the hatch when the boat is unattended.

When I'm aboard a bucket seems a better option. It's not like a bilge pump will keep up with any real leak, but a bucket has been known to get it done.

Edit:
FWIW: I spent time on an old wooden boat at the old fisherman's docks in Victoria. B.C. ... with a float switch, and fairly bad leaks.
ON.... Offff...onnnnn...offff. All night. I actually got used to it. Lord knows why he didn't at least attempt to fix the leaks. I was worried that we would wake up with a hull full of water. Thank god the boat didn't leave the dock, the whole time I knew the owner. Without shore power it would have sunk in a matter of days.

TODO list to play with arduino and build a remote monitoring system, I would want to be sure the pump only cycles on when it's actually sensing water, so any alerts it sends me are real ones; but that project is likely to remain on the "next year" list indefinitely
I was thinking along the same lines. Water and security alerts when the boat is sitting in the marina.
Now I learn about the $50 wifi units that support a water sensor. I wonder if they can be modded to work with an instrusion system of some type.

https://www.amazon.com/Crosse-Temperature-Humidity-Monitoring-Detector/dp/B078JF21Y1/

Our marina has wifi.
If my slip assignment is close enough to the clubhouse... Hmmm...

Last edited: