To bilge or not to bilge.... That is the question

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
So wanted your thoughts install a bilge pump (battery powered), manual pump, or just use the ole bucket and sponge trick. I have a through hull in the transon I suspect is for bilge outflow, but no hardware.
~Dan

Sep 8, 2014
Catalina 22 Swing Keel San Diego
I have a manual mounted in the cockpit. The discharge hose goes out the transom and the suction hose is long enough to be moved around wherever. The bucket and sponge is to soak up the last of it that the suction end won't pull.
Only reason I have it set up this way is because that is what it came with. An electric pump is a waste on a small boat that doesn't have a true bilge (single lowest collection point).

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I have a manual mounted in the cockpit. The discharge hose goes out the transom and the suction hose is long enough to be moved around wherever. The bucket and sponge is to soak up the last of it that the suction end won't pull.
Only reason I have it set up this way is because that is what it came with. An electric pump is a waste on a small boat that doesn't have a true bilge (single lowest collection point).
+1, invest in a sponge & bucket....

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
{An electric pump is a waste on a small boat that doesn't have a true bilge (single lowest collection point).}

Yes agreed, however our marina facility requires an automatic electric pump installed if you want to tie up at the dock or the swing moorings.

So that was exactly my dilemma... where does one install such a device?

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
{An electric pump is a waste on a small boat that doesn't have a true bilge (single lowest collection point).}

Yes agreed, however our marina facility requires an automatic electric pump installed if you want to tie up at the dock or the swing moorings.

So that was exactly my dilemma... where does one install such a device?
Next to the volcano, near the battery (on an '83), your Jaguar may differ

greg_m

May 23, 2017
Catalina Jaguar 22 Simons Town
Next to the volcano, near the battery (on an '83), your Jaguar may differ
I was wondering if those who have boats on the water already would be able to comment on how the boat responds to water ingress. If water gets in will it cause the stern end or the bow end to go down... bilge pump towards the stern (volcano area) would mean a lot of water would collect before it actually causes the float to operate the pump! If it causes a more bow down stance then that would lead to even more water collecting and miking the story worserer!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Build one

What kind of sailing are you planning on? You expect to take on much water in larger waves and higher winds? Is there a leak from rain or heeling? Or is this just a "I want to be prepared" thought? I'm in the later category and am planning on putting a high volume hand pump on board my 19' trailer sailer, but I haven't decided if I will build one or buy one. Always keep a bucket and sponge, no matter what else.

BTW, Welcome to the forums. You have a beautiful boat.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
Yeah, that is what I am used to as well, hand pump, or just a good ole bailing bucket. Thing is I have the through hull so either I spend a few bucks on a bilge or spend a few bucks on glass / epoxy to make it go away.

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
I was wondering if those who have boats on the water already would be able to comment on how the boat responds to water ingress. If water gets in will it cause the stern end or the bow end to go down... bilge pump towards the stern (volcano area) would mean a lot of water would collect before it actually causes the float to operate the pump! If it causes a more bow down stance then that would lead to even more water collecting and miking the story worserer!
Greg, unless you're in heavy seas, with your companionway open, or a port blown out, or knocked down with cockpit laz open, there's not going to be any water ingress into the "bilge" area IMO. When properly buttoned up, the only significant water would be into the cockpit and the drains take care of that. Because there is no real bilge in a C22 there is no single "low spot" for water to collect enough to trigger a pump float unless catastrophic hull (or volcano) damage were to occur...and no pumps will keep up with that anyway.

I actually bought a good pump to install early on (thought it was the prudent thing to do), but after giving it some thought and realizing the above, it went back for a refund. (We keep a hand pump, bucket & sponges aboard.)

That said, I do understand it is required at your marinas, so I'd buy a <$50 pump for show, hardwire it to your battery and be done with it. Odds are, it will never be used.

Speaking of catastrophic, hopefully none of us will ever find ourselves in this situation! (warning, hard to watch)

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I have had the spreaders dragging and windows 1/2 under - no water in cabin. I agree with @rpludwig just buy an automatic pump so you don’t have to install float switch. Zip tie to volcano tube and run output to a thruhull that is above waterline.

Mahalo

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Thing is I have the through hull so either I spend a few bucks on a bilge or spend a few bucks on glass / epoxy to make it go away.
Where does your cockpit bail to? Your galley sink? Inboard engine exhaust?
Nothing else you could use it for? It doesn't affect your saling, it isn't in the way, it doesn't look bad, right? Save yourself the time and expense, cap it off and leave it alone. Use that time for a picnic on a remote beach.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Grotto

Feb 18, 2018
Catalina 22 Wilmington
No galley, cockpit drains to a central drain right behind the volcano with a seacock. I figure I'll put something there. Always nice to have a way to get water out just in case. But might just be a rubber plug.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Consider an alternative. Get a small bilge pump and hook a 12V plug to it and a discharge hose. Whenever and wherever you find some collected water just sit the pump in the water and connect the plug to a 12V receptacle or extension and place the end of the discharge hose into a bucket. Empty the bucket overboard. It is instant on, it is portable, does not require a through the hull port or float switch and also no fancy automatic float needed just the cheapest 500GPH you may find. It beats getting on your knees to scoop water out.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Best compromise for me was a sahara automatic bilge pump near the volcano with a upward loop in discharge hose to thru hull and a sponge for getting the little bit after sailing that accumulates near the pump and on the starboard side of volcano. The keeps things dry and satisfies my boat insurance and marine lease. BTW I never seem to get enough level to really activate the auto bilge pump unless I have been a really sporty guy sailing or left a hatch open in the rain.

Sep 14, 2014
Oops guess I ought to post a pix of it. Rust stains are from PO storing anchor and chain there ! Pix is from my album Nooks and crannies pix. Anybody who wants to see a part you can't see of a Cat 22 without a mirror , just ask I prolly have a shot of it.
volcano and battery.JPG

Sep 14, 2014
Now and then I do to flush the u shape from the cockpit scuppers thru the t fitting. I hate to discover it is clogged when its going to rain or I am getting sporty on a tack and get a poop wave into the cockpit. Also this allows me to make sure the sea-cock is working right.