Registered users don't see ads

Tips For A Great Buff & Wax

Discussion in 'Musings With Maine Sail' started by Maine Sail, Apr 7, 2010. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Maine Sail

Maine Sail Moderator

Joined Feb 6, 1998
    10,335 posts, 312 likes
    Canadian Sailcraft 36T
    US Casco Bay, ME
    Hi love these pics, it's why I wrote the article so you could see your boats look like new again!!

2. DayDreamer41

DayDreamer41

Joined Oct 29, 2016
    444 posts, 133 likes
    Hunter 41 DS
    Un Michigan Port Huron
    MaineSail, while I will admit the Sapphire is a well kept vessel and was rather shiny before I started with the compound, the effort put into the hull was still well worth the time spent, she really is mirror like, once the polishing step was completed the wax was so easily applied and removed, I am sure due to the extreme smoothness of the Gelcoat.
    IMG_20170424_185552286_HDR.jpg

3. GonzoF1

GonzoF1

Joined Sep 20, 2015
    96 posts, 0 likes
    Navigator 4200 Classic
    US New Bern, NC
    Winner-winner. Chicken dinner!! Great job!!

4. Davidasailor26

Davidasailor26

Joined May 17, 2004
    865 posts, 89 likes
    Beneteau Oceanis 37 LE
    US Havre de Grace
    No fair using your mirror of a hull to show the black streaks on the boat next to you.:dancing:

5. DayDreamer41

DayDreamer41

Joined Oct 29, 2016
    444 posts, 133 likes
    Hunter 41 DS
    Un Michigan Port Huron
    She turned out beautifully I must say, MaineSail certainly knows his stuff the right gear, the right material and a whole lot of effort and imagine that you get results!

6. lurker

lurker

Joined Jan 12, 2016
    108 posts, 17 likes
    Hunter -410
    CA Pacific NW Vancouver Island

Been slaving away at this all week. 3M products (compound, finesse it II, and compound and polish wool pads). Also been using a small 6" palm buffer from Canadian Tire to apply compound/polish as its nice and light and easy to use. Everything gets removed with my dewalt heavy duty buffer as well as microfiber cloth.

Finesse It II is tricky to work with in the sun, having a spray bottle of water nearby at all times, especially when buffing off has been essential as the material dries out very fast. Tomorrow we're going to wash everything with a gentle soap and start hand waxing with the collinite paste wax. Hope to be back in the water by Monday.

Only regret is that I didn't start with a 1500 wet sand on the dark blue stripe. It came back with compound but it was a lot of work. The boat is from 1998 and hasn't seen much attention to the gelcoat in a long time from what we can see. We've had it just one year.

Sefuller likes this.
  7. lurker

lurker

Joined Jan 12, 2016
    108 posts, 17 likes
    Hunter -410
  8. GonzoF1

GonzoF1

Joined Sep 20, 2015
    96 posts, 0 likes
    Navigator 4200 Classic
    US New Bern, NC
    COATS (plural) of collinite? How many should I be doing? I am just doing one. :(

9. lurker

lurker

Joined Jan 12, 2016
    108 posts, 17 likes
    Hunter -410
    We did two coats above the blue cove stripe, and three coats on/below the blue cove stripe in the images. Maybe it's overkill but I want it to last at least to the fall if possible.

10. njlarry

njlarry

Joined Sep 23, 2009
    1,190 posts, 82 likes
    O'Day 34-At Last
    US Rock Hall, Md
    How did you apply and remove the collinite?
    I apply mine with a round yellow foam applicator and remove it with micro fiber towels. However the pro working on the boat next to mine was removing wax with some sort of wool bonnet on a buffer. Naturally that boat had a deeper shine than mine, so thinking of trying that method next year.

11. BigEasy

BigEasy

Joined Jun 21, 2004
    659 posts, 83 likes
    Beneteau 343
    US Slidell, LA
    Try using a small hook & loop backing plate and Lake Country pads available in various diameters; the smallest diameter is 4" and you will need 3.5" backing plate. You can adapt the Makita polisher to the smaller pads; however, you will need to purchase an adaptor. Check out the following link http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-rotary-adapter.html as well as http://www.autogeek.net/lc43175.html

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  12. lurker

lurker

Joined Jan 12, 2016
    108 posts, 17 likes
    Hunter -410
    The collinite was applied by hand with a round wax applicator 3" pad, and removed by hand with a microfiber cloth. We misted the glass with water just before application, and changed microfiber cloths frequently. The microfiber cloths load up quickly, as long as you have a clean cloth I found no need for machine removal. All the machine work was only during the compound and polishing phases.

Parsons likes this.
  13. Siamese

Siamese

Joined Aug 2, 2009
    372 posts, 61 likes
    Catalina 28MKII
    US Muskegon
    Shine comes from compound and polishing. If that's done right, the Collinite doesn't add much shine, just protection.

If you look at MS's polishing tips for buff and wax, he says microfiber towels are fine for removing the Collinite wax haze. There's no real need for power buffing.

Parsons likes this.
  14. jradasaurus

jradasaurus

Joined Jan 25, 2017
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina 30 mkII
    US NYC New York City
    Wanted to post my results. 1990 C30. Started w/ wetsanding @ 800 grit and moved through the process. I am happy I did the swirl remover, I know OP said its a bit overkill but really brings it from 90% to 100%. I cant agree more.

Before: IMG_0526.jpg
    After:
    IMG_0432.jpg

15. Hankonthewater

Hankonthewater

Joined Feb 29, 2016
    3 posts, 0 likes
    production boat blue water
    Au West Australia Albany
    I am about to start my boat with Maine's advise. Have the Makita for that and for the small spaces? I found a 2nd hand Milwaukee cordless polisher, with 50 mm (2") pad. It also makes a good sander for tight spaces with 50 mm 'roloc' disks
    https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/cordless/2438-22x
    Hopefully that does work, if not check Ebay or Gumtree early December.....

NEW rigid hatch covers
Hatch protection like never before. Tough, secure, installs in seconds.
Gray ports and parts
The most popular port on boats built from the 70s into the 90s.
Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now