Times Up?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
QUOTE="JamesG161, post: 1423734, member: 123859"]I figure this...
When I am a burden to the crew with my health, time retire from boating.

Otherwise, I bet you can be the "Vice Admiral" and let others run your boat and enjoy the ride.
Jim...[/QUOTE]
Hmm, who might that be? Time to think about selecting a candidate. My oldest son and his family live in Texas. He wants to move back here, but alas his career takes precedent. Ditto my number two son, but unsure there, too. Son number three lives in Wenatchee with his family and career. He is trying to move back to the west side. My youngest and his family live in Lake Stevens, but unsure whether there is any interest. Maybe.

Meanwhile, time will work it out. One thing I learned/was taught many years ago of the immense power in the subconscious. Consciously decide on a path/direction/goal. Write it down helps, with some number of intermediate steps to achieve that goal. Then let your subconscious take over. At some point your subconscious will present a subtle conscious notice that you have reached your first intermediate step. Some may disregard that notice, or miss it altogether. Others will capture the moment and move to the next step, and so on.

Trouble is, once you turn it on, it is really hard to turn it off. Some (my wife) might refer to that as an obsession. One silly example of many; I need a pair of brown leather gloves to protect my hands while sailing. So, I'm driving or running along in the neighborhood one day and my attention turns to a brown leather glove along side the road. Huh! Must be a mate nearby. Sure enough, it is a short distance ahead. That was some number of years ago. In addition to the 60+ pairs of recovered brown leather gloves, countless pairs of those garden gloves dipped in polyester, nice insulated black dress leather gloves, heavy workman leather gloves, liquid proof chemical polyester type gloves that come in handy dealing with mud covered anchor chain, etc., etc., etc. Tools, also. I have several tool boxes (boat, shop, home, wife, etc.) filled with recovered tools, most very nice.

Ditto knit hats, fleece gloves, coats, shirts, jackets, towels, money, and so on. Sheesh.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Hmm, who might that be? Time to think about selecting a candidate.
I have a very good friend, who once asked, would I take he and his Teenage daughter out for a day sail.
I said "absolutely".

I was to pick them up at a 7am and return by 7pm.
They show up on time with:
1) Their own PFD's
2) 4 cased of cold can beverages
3) Enough food for 8 people
4) Ice
5) $50 for diesel fuel.

I said you didn't need to do that.
He said I can't afford to own a boat, and this was WAYYY more cheaper way to go sailing.;)
Plus you are more likely to invite us again!:laugh:
_____
Moral to the story...
Join a yacht club, hang out at a marina, get involve perhaps teaching sailing, post a ad, etc.
Your NEW CANDIDATE will emerge.
Jim...

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Mr. Cox,

Here's a word from the young...to the experienced. I, being 18, surely know nothing of becoming the age where limited time is pondered regularly; but I can tell you, that it is folks like you who make our generation equipped and stronger people. There is a Skipper in our Sea Scout council named George Crowl. He served in WWII and Vietnam, and is 83 years old this year...yet he is one of the sharpest, most wise sailors I ever knew. He may not be a racer or get around fast, but as long as he can walk on his own two feet, he will do whatever it takes to teach us younger sailors the knowledge which is not only required, but is what makes a mariner a proper mariner. I've learned more from my elders than I have from anyone else besides God Himself, and although I don't know you personally, sir, I can say without a doubt that there is at the very least one person for whom you have been such a role model. Worry not, for all things are in His good time...but until the very end, I know that I, myself, will be sailing for as long as I may live. I can only assume that you will as well!

God Bless,
S.S.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Terry. Being the Young whipper snapper in the marina, I’ll be glad to have you aboard or adventure aboard your fine boat.
Likely we will need to come to some agreement regarding the Skipper and Vice Admiral roles. While both have engaging attitudes we may have type A opinions.
But I am willing and since we both enjoy good beer or wine I believe we can enjoy a sail.
This summer we shall put it to the test. At least sailing our own boats.
You game?

Dec 25, 2000
Worry not, for all things are in His good time...but until the very end, I know that I, myself, will be sailing for as long as I may live. I can only assume that you will as well!
Hi Simon, thank you for your very prescient expressions of encouragement. My doubts cast upon the young have been assuaged by your thoughts and foresight. We have such an organization here, as well. Perhaps I can apply the years of experience as a Boy Scout Leader to benefit the Sea Scouts program. Thank you again from the bottom of my heart.

Dec 25, 2000
Your NEW CANDIDATE will emerge.
Jim...
Very well said, Jim. Been thinking about those same thoughts these past few years. Retired after 31 very challenging and successful years from the telecommunications industry at the age of 55. Tried not working, but did not like it. Prefer instead the purpose of rising early, and the feeling of accomplishment at the end of the day/week/year.

Currently in my eleventh year driving a 78 passenger school bus for our local district. Also my fourth year with the same route taking the same K-12 students to school, getting to know and watch them grow from little kids to young adults. The families have been very generous during the holidays and end of the school year. Believe it or not, one Naval officer family of two girls and a boy, the youngest, recently handed me a Christmas card as a gift as he got on the bus. Later, when I opened it, nested in the card was a jaw dropping crisp new $100 bill with a thank you message.

Needless to say, I always write a personal message in a thank you card to all of the numerous gifts I receive each year. To the Naval officer family I called and expressed my thank you to the mother, who in-turn, extended her appreciation for what I do for her kids. Perhaps a day sail for the family is in order. Who knows what might come of it.

Dec 25, 2000
But I am willing and since we both enjoy good beer or wine I believe we can enjoy a sail.
Ah, the fever is beginning to build. Much to prepare. Stewing over the freezing mid winter break, well history now. Spring break (almost ten days) arrives the second week in April. Depending upon weather, time to de-grunge the boat. Last day of school is June 20, that is unless we have any snow days; still a chance.

My oldest son and his family want to return again this summer for another cruise. Last year it was the early part of August. This year Brady (eight) wants to return to again watch the Lopez fourth of July fireworks display. They have to be among the best I've seen; quite nice.

Perhaps a new flotilla of boats will form about that time. John, Les, Stu, Mark... That would be quite the enterprise. Belle-Vie will have an ample supply of cold Henry beer and vintage Merlo box wine to share. That would be a hoot. What say you?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I in some time in there. Got a few trips to make not sailing. One in early April then a HS reunion (#50) over the 4th. But otherwise this summer is going to be exploring the Straits Juan DFuca and Georgia and the islands among them.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
John, hope you enjoy your 50th HS reunion. My dad, 15 years later, still talks about his.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Lopez on the 4th nothing better. Been watching fireworks there since age 7. Back then it was the Scripts putting on the show from their island. Now the bay show is very cool with them exploding almost directly over head. Be sure and toss a good donation in the pot for next years show.

Les

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
What say you?
I say, take your boat out and anchor in a clear of traffic and visible spot in your marina.

Run up the Jolly Roger flag and a Beer Flag. Start up some good, not offensive, Music in the cockpit.

Get a Megaphone for telling all...

Come ye aboard, Maties! arggghhhh [pirate talk]

Wear an Eye Patch. and Pirate Hat.

Speak Pirate Talk. Like...
Yo-ho-ho! Wenches welcome!
or
Shiver me timbers! Aint she a beauty! Arrrrrrr!
or
A Grog fer thee?
or
No aft talk to the Cap'n or it be brig fer ye!

Moral the story:
People will want to go sailing with you!;)
Jim...

PS: Each of the BOLD underline things above are a link. Buy a few extra gift Pirate Eye patches and ear rings to give away.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Being the Young whipper snapper
Been awhile since my 50th high school reunion. Old father time just keeps on ticking. Try to slow him down, even a little, but so far no luck.

James has a good idea, sort of like dragging a hundred dollar bill through a trailer park, eh? My bad, but might be worth a try. I do have one black eye patch and bandana that I used a few years ago to make an impression upon my Texas grandson, Brady. We recently promoted him from swabee to first mate.

So looking forward to this cruising season. Must make an effort to bring together a flotilla. Count me in.

Dec 25, 2000
Let me know Terry if I’m free I’m game.

Mahalo
Wonderful. Thanks Les. And John. Sure wished I could go with you guys next week when you head out. Duty calls here, though. Certainly will be thinking of you.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
My father was 80 and sailed his H34 just about every week with his friends. He sailed 50 footer as well. Sailing kept him active. He would be 85 now if he had not been taken from this world by an aggressive form of cancer.

I'm sure as God is my witness if he was alive today he would still be sailing every week. So, keep on going as long as you can. Age is just a number, sailing keeps you young.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I'm sorry to hear about your father, Capt Robbie.

My father sailed all his life but retired from sailing in his 70s because he missed his family. He's 82 now and found a new passion in classical music on Youtube and talking with my children on the phone. They call him constantly to tell him what they're up to. I was never that engaged with my grand parents.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
purchase some patches and ear rings
Both the Admiral and I thought it was a cool idea too.;)

This April will be the 18th Anniversary of our boat being launched the first time.
So I have already ordered Pirate paper plates, napkins, Pirate Music, Eye patches and even water washable Pirate Tattoos.:pimp: [ see my links above post#92 for where]

Ours will be a marina dock side party and our boat will be used as the BRIG!
We have a 5 star restaurant at the marina that will provide a "Grog Bar" and a place too cook Crawfish.
Burp!!!

Good time for all....
Jim...

PS: April is the Admiral and my Anniversary too.:waycool: