Times Up?

Dec 2, 2015
hunter 466 marina del rey
I am 74 I race every Wednesday night as crew on a Beneteau 423. I don't run or really exercise regularly but am now playing a pickle ball twice a week. That said I do think about "when do I quit". Then I remember a fellow racer here in marina del rey who, at 92, races his Farr 39. So the answer is. It is not one of age. My measure is that of safety. I think when I get to the point where I feel I cannot handle unexpected issues of weather or failed gear it will be time to become a passenger. BTW I own a Hunter 466

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Since December of 2015 I've put $10K-$11K of upgrades into my now 18 year-old Bavaria; I reckon something near that amount, at least, will follow in the next two years:shhh:. Together, that's near 20% of the boat's present "market value"; but the percentage might actually be higher than that. I'm happy to say the upgrades have included a new mainsail!:yeah: We're getting ready for this summer's "season" which is already underway. If we both make it in ten years to 74 or 75 on the same boat w/o injury or some form of creeping decrepity, then the refits work out with respect to "value." Nevertheless, the alternative stinkpot image is already rearing its head; but, I can live with that. I think the admiral may be just biding time until I "get the hint.":rolleyes: Right now, the "issue" appears to center around keeping comfortably warm in an open (dodger/Bimini) cockpit, and even below on cool or cold days/night at anchor.

Last edited:

hankz

Jun 18, 2012
Hunter 27 Ridge, MD
At our marina, you tend see a lot of grey (or no) hair, only a few sailboat owners seem to be under age 55. I will be 67 in June and have already started giving the prospect of selling the boat an extended period of "due diligence." Will I ever realize if and when that "sweet spot" of THE time to sell has arrived? Not to sell out too soon, where it becomes a case of "what was I thinking!" But not too late where I get in hurry to sell the boat at a giveaway price, just to unceremoniously get dump her off for a song. I can't ignore the fact that the clock continues to tick. And now, my endurance level is down, I get vertigo a bit more now and my wife and I really mind the heat a lot more than in the old days. Yet, whenever I am out on the water, I don't seem to feel the aches, pains or fatigue. That all usually comes later, usually the day after being back home from the marina. All that said, I am envisioning a skipper's life up until the mid 70s, at which time I will likely sell out and resort to bumming trips off my younger friends at the marina. Until then, the second happiest day in my life should not happen for another several years.

Feb 23, 2011
Hunter 466 Singapore
A German friend of mine, Jochaim, no just an acquaintance, I did not get the chance to know him that well, in his late 70s and I suspect of undetermined health has just decided to start his 4th world cruise. The understood sense is he knows he will not make it.

Why do you have to pull back from your boat when the end is near? Did it not bring you comfort when you thought you were strong. Maybe it can comfort you at the end. Dont we love our boats because of their entropy? Cant that pave the way for our own. Gosh I admire him.

Sep 29, 2015
Oday 222 Lake N ockamixon, pa
I'm 82 and I'll be cruising the Chesapeake in my O'Day 222 this May and club racing my Mariner the rest of the summer. When they peal my cold dead hands from my tiller is when I'm done.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
keeping comfortably warm in an open cockpit, and even below on cool or cold days/night at anchor.
Kings. Get a Wallas diesel heater. Size it a little larger than needed. Pipe it about the boat and you will be amazed. You can even pipe air into the cockpit. It is what let's me sleep comfortably on our boat when the temps are in the low 30's.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Once you sit you rust.
So true. This was my very first "winter" not using the boat, having moved her from California to Vancouver Island. Worst winter ever here, snow and cold, too cold to even work on the boat even with electric heater. I need a diesel heater, too. My body, at 71, feels altogether much older than it did in October. And spring has not yet sprung up here. Damn.

Thing is that the size of my boat is not an issue. Has just everything I want and need, not too big, smaller would be a bummer: no hot&cold pressure water, no shower, got everything I want. It's a great motorboat! :)

It's the weather, not the boat. The only "work" on my boat is the darned mainsail cover, so if I get lazy I sail on jib alone.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Kings. Get a Wallas diesel heater. Size it a little larger than needed. Pipe it about the boat and you will be amazed. You can even pipe air into the cockpit. It is what let's me sleep comfortably on our boat when the temps are in the low 30's.
I have the Espar already; factory installed (but no ducts into cockpit). Been working on the power utilization curve to keep it running more of the time while at anchor or under sail. See at my link. Balmar 150 amp up-grade alternator is installed; testing this weekend.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/i...lenges-keeping-batteries-up-at-anchor.182883/

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
I moved aboard my Hunter Legend 35 in 1993. I was 53 and at 55 with a retirement package, my girl friend and I left Annapolis with stops in KeyWest, back to Miami, the Bahamas, Caicos and Fajardo, PR. We raced the house and won just about everything. Two years later we returned to F. Lauderdale sold the boat and bought an Idelle 15.5. (51') in Tortola, sailed to Puert La Cruz in Venezuela and dud major conversions into a very comfortable liveaboard.
Based out of St. Croix, we traveled just about every island, up to Charleston, Annpolis, Marblehead, Maine, back to Ft. Lauderdale, Key West, Cuba, Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala. Back to Cuba, Dominican Republic and back to St Croix. I had been racing and cranking winches and the body started to give up, we sold the boat when I was 70 and moved into a condo in St. Croix. Bought a Catalina 30, hull number 364 for one dollar and have been fixing, racing and cruising the Catalina 30 and I am now 77. Hope there are more years to come.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
So true. This was my very first "winter" not using the boat, having moved her from California to Vancouver Island. Worst winter ever here, snow and cold, too cold to even work on the boat even with electric heater. I need a diesel heater, too. My body, at 71, feels altogether much older than it did in October. And spring has not yet sprung up here. Damn.

Thing is that the size of my boat is not an issue. Has just everything I want and need, not too big, smaller would be a bummer: no hot&cold pressure water, no shower, got everything I want. It's a great motorboat! :)

It's the weather, not the boat. The only "work" on my boat is the darned mainsail cover, so if I get lazy I sail on jib alone.
Stu, you might find something helpful at this SBO thread from "last" year.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/cruising-in-colder-waters.174935/#post-1242771

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 42 Meaford
I solo the same model boat as yours Terry.
Mind you I'm just 69 but I will sell her when I no longer am able to bend the sails by myself.
Bill.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Since I've been messin about with boats, mainly professionally, since I was 12, I've found the biggest problem as I age is using my brain instead of my brawn when I want to do things I've been doing almost daily since I began boating.
My first major injury came when I climbed a dock ladder w/a scuba tank in my right hand, using my left to pull me up the ladder. I'd done this a gazillion times before! This time, the tendons connecting my bicep to the elbow let go. I felt them go and knew I was going down so I threw the tank clear so at least I landed on a flat deck, not the tank. I called my dad who was a surgeon and told him of the injury and asked what medical care I should seek. Part of his response was, "You dumb sh*t, you're 60, not 30, start using your head!".
The next, but much less serious, injury came from overshooting my mooring, just a bit, in Honeymoon after returning from fueling in the marina. I couldn't possibly count the number of times I've grabbed moorings on boats even bigger than Skipping Stone (53'/77k#) and just held on until they swung and dropped back so I could secure the mooring line. This time all the muscles involved gave me fair warning that this was not something they were willing to put up with and the next week was spent in agony.
One thing that I have going for me is that my wife is much, much younger than I and truly loves sailing. She is physically capable of doing any job aboard, not giving any thought to the silly "blue or pink" nature of a job. If it's to be done aboard she will happily do it.
I doubt I can put a number on when sailing will no longer be possible for me physically, but it surely won't be the end of our lifestyle, when (or if) it happens. My wife and I have discussed the motor boat thing, with some excitement, for there are a great number of cold places to explore that would be a lot more fun from a heated pilot house, in a 3k helm seat, than an open cockpit.

Last edited:

NigelW

Jan 24, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 400 Port of Spain
I'll die sailing. Age is a number. I'm a mere 61 and an Ironman Triathlete. One of my buddies is 77 and does big ocean races with minimal crew.

Apr 24, 2017
Beneteau 373 Annapolis MD
It's both the body and the boat. As the body slows down, the boat you have loved and sailed for years may no longer be right. If you stick with that boat your sailing days may be shorted than they need be.
You probably would enjoy if not actually need a boat requiring less maintenance.
More important, you should shift to equipment you maybe disliked or disdained earlier: rolling furling jib, in mast (or in boom) furling main, all (almost) lines led to the cockpit, at least one electric winch, lighter dinghy/motor combination with good or better davits and motor hoist, (remotely controlled) electric windlass, good autopilot (also remotely controllable), and maybe bow thrusters. Perhaps more removable enclosure around the cockpit.
Adding/changing all that gear, with a more forgiving hull form, might mean changing boats.
At 75 I'm sailing a Beneteau 373, frequently single-handing, will single hand the asym spinnaker if conditions are right. Boat has most of the gear suggested (not the thrusters, or remote for windlass or autopilot). About 7 yrs ago retired from racing a dinghy.

Jul 14, 2014
Beneteau Oceanus 390 Puerto Vallarta
Here in Banderas Bay, we have a guy who is in his mid-80s who owns a Jeanneau 38. He races actively, as well as biking and a few other things. A couple of years ago we had a little mini cruise-out / fun race to a small village on the other side of the bay. I saw his boat coming at a distance, spinnaker flying, really sailing well. As he got close, we saw the spinnaker come down nicely, as well as the main.
As he got close, we could all see: he was single handing. I'm 61, sailing for 40 years, and don't think I could do that. The guy is an inspiration.
It's all about what you consider to be your own ability. Don't put a number on it, make the decision based on how you feel.

ODAAT

Mar 24, 2014
Cal 46 My dock on Bayou Chico
I will be 80 next year. Yes, I've slowed down and have some health challenges like vestibular dysfunction (no Balance) and this does limit my sailing as constant mind effort to balance is tiring. I still have my Cal 46, 25' deck boat and 22 Panga for fishing. When I go fishing, always with a crew, I tell them that after two hours I must rest, so I lay on the beanbag and either anchor or they keep trolling. I still work six days a week repairing diesel boat engines, but slower and resting more.
A friend asked me "When are you going to stop working?" My answer is, "I intend to work/play until noon on the day of my funeral."
I do want to go cruising again, maybe coastal, but I have had my Cal 46 SATORI for 35 years and we get along okay.

oldguy

Jul 15, 2011
Catalina 310 Winthrop
I'm 82 and sailed a Catalina 31 from 2000 to 2015.. and then sold it and pretty much retired from sailing.
Not health.. though I've gotten a little stiffer the last year or so..
just that we used it less, maintenance increasing, other interests, grandchildren, wife didn't really like it anymore.
my advice.. as long as usage is high and you can afford it, enjoy it, your mate supports it, and your joints are ok.. keep doing it.

Sep 30, 2015
Bavaria 44 Porto Turistico di Roma
When we decided to change boat 14 years ago (we had a Contessa 32 for 20 years) we asked ourself the same question: Till when? Reply: let's go as big as we can so we can fit all the goodies that will make our sailing easier. Electric whinches, furling jib and furling main, davids, radar navtex bowthrust, auto everything ecc ecc. (the alternative was a powerboat! Sic!). We bought a Bavaria 44 and spent a fortune in fitting her with all the toys that have made our life easier. Serena and I sail extensively the Med (we live in Italy) in our "Narese" (anagram od Serena) mainly only the two of us. I wil turn 74 in November, Serena is 70. We have sailed toghether for over 50 years and we intend to keep going for....as much as we can. When the time comes, we will make our trips shorter. We will sail only when the weather permits, but we will keep going until...Yes, we know, sooner or later we will have to give up, we will try to make it happen as late as possible.
Cesare.
From onboard Narese