Time keeps on slippin, slippin, slippin

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
When we bought the current boat, I thought it was incredibly old at 27 years.
Now she's 8 years older.

Last edited:

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I hear ya Doug. Exercising and eating a whole-food plant-based diet has made a huge difference to me in postponing the inevitable. The diet thing can't be understated (cholesterol went down to 130 from around 200). No statins or other meds and no aches or pains (if I take a break from core-exercise my back aches return). If you have an injury (of course) all bets are off and you may be limited on the exercise. Otherwise no excuses "getting old" is not a disease it's only a factor, but there's no pill the doctor can prescribe it's all in our hands: Eat the standard American diet of meats/dairy and processed foods high in fat/sweet/salt or overindulge in alcohol and you kill yourself slowly, and yet the doctor will say you're "just getting old". But your condition is reversible. Coronary artery disease, and autoimmune diseases, (Type 2 diabetes can be reversed in 2 weeks, Rheumatoid Arthritis, IBS, "acid reflux"and more) many types of cancers can be prevented or reversed. The way I see it, we're in training for the rest of our lives. You can make a decision. Do nothing and the inevitable comes sooner.
For anyone who thinks this is wishful BS there is a mountain of scientific evidence to back this up. Watch FORKS OVER KNIVES on Netflix or Amazon Prime. And go to https://nutritionfacts.org/
Damn I chose the right guy to give my mooring to...... 100% agree

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Just wrapping up 20 years on our Hunter Legend 40.5. Four boats before this one. Currently hunting electrical gremlins, but I will win.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Most meat on it's own isn't bad for you, the preparation and quantity can be
The science doesn't agree. And dairy also is detrimental to humans (baby calves need bovine growth hormone, we don't). You just haven't gotten the memo. I'm not going to try to argue or convince, I'm only the messenger, but I'd like you to have the information from experts so you can make the right choices... the links I posted earlier in this thread will lead you to a mountain of scientific research. The epidemiological evidence is clear, but it's more convenient to deny and keep promoting vested interests and lifestyle choices. It's far more radical to choose bypass surgery or autoimmune disease over a change in diet, but that's what most people do without even thinking about it.
There is also science to conclude that we could literally save the planet with a shift in dietary norms:
Here are some referenced facts about the impact of animal products on our environment:
  • According to Cornell University scientists: the US could feed 800 million people with grain that livestock eat. [1]
  • To produce 1 pound of feedlot beef requires about 2,400 gallons of water and 7 pounds of grain (42). Considering that the average American consumes 97 pounds of beef (and 273 pounds of meat in all) each year, even modest reductions in meat consumption in such a culture would substantially reduce the burden on our natural resources.[2]
  • Another agricultural effect is on land degradation. Cattle are a known cause for soil erosion through trampling of the ground and overgrazing. Much of the world's crops are used to feed animals.[13] With 30 percent of the earth's land devoted to raising livestock, a major cutback is needed to keep up with growing population. Demand for meat is expected to double by 2050.[3]
  • Livestock in the United States produces 2.7 trillion pounds of manure each year, which is ten times more than what is produced by the entire U.S. population. There are issues with how animal waste is disposed, as some is used as fertilizer while some farmers create manure lagoons which store millions of gallons of animal waste which is extremely unsafe and detrimental to the environment.[4]
  • According to a 2019 report in The Lancet, global meat consumption needs be reduced by 50 percent to mitigate for climate change.[5]
[1] Pimentel, David; Pimentel, Marcia (September 2003). "Sustainability of meat-based and plant-based diets and the environment". American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 78 (3): 660S–663S. Retrieved 17 July 2015.

[1] Horrigan, Leo; Lawrence, Robert S; Walker, Polly (May 2002). "How Sustainable Agriculture Can Address the Environmental and Human Health Harms of Industrial Agriculture". Environmental Health Perspectives. 110 (5): 445–456. doi:10.1289/ehp.02110445. PMC1240832. PMID12003747.

[1] Sustainability Pathways: Sustainability and livestock". www.fao.org. Retrieved 2017-04-

[1] admin (2007-04-04). "The Environmental Impact of a Meat-Based Diet". Vegetarian Times. Retrieved 2017-04-03.

[1] Gibbens, Sarah (January 16, 2019). "Eating meat has 'dire' consequences for the planet, says report". National Geographic. Retrieved January 21, 2019.

[1] Pimentel, David; Pimentel, Marcia (September 2003). "Sustainability of meat-based and plant-based diets and the environment". American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 78 (3): 660S–663S. Retrieved 17 July 2015.

[2] Horrigan, Leo; Lawrence, Robert S; Walker, Polly (May 2002). "How Sustainable Agriculture Can Address the Environmental and Human Health Harms of Industrial Agriculture". Environmental Health Perspectives. 110 (5): 445–456. doi:10.1289/ehp.02110445. PMC1240832. PMID12003747.

[3] Sustainability Pathways: Sustainability and livestock". www.fao.org. Retrieved 2017-04-

[4] admin (2007-04-04). "The Environmental Impact of a Meat-Based Diet". Vegetarian Times. Retrieved 2017-04-03.

[5] Gibbens, Sarah (January 16, 2019). "Eating meat has 'dire' consequences for the planet, says report". National Geographic. Retrieved January 21, 2019.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I don't think I read "boat" in there once ! ;)
LOL a thousand apologies. We eat that way on the boat, so we can enjoy the boat longer and later in life (hopefully).
I'm really much easier to get along with in person :) and I promise I won't try to "convert" anyone.

Jan 22, 2008
Montgomery 17, Venture of Newport, Mirror sailing dinghy, El Toro sailing dinghy Mound, MN -- Lake Minnetonka
Chiquita was only a couple of years old when I became her caretaker in 1976. We have been together for 43 years now! Over the years I have replaced, modified, or improved every piece of hardware, wood, wire, canvas, and rope on her. I even replaced the mast—twice. We have had many adventures together, including sinking in 38’ of water during a storm and being dismasted by a drunken power boater. Her home port is on Lake Minnetonka in Minnesota but we have spent many vacations on Lake Superior (Apostle Islands) and Lake Michigan (Door County.) She trailers well. Our most recent trip was a few years ago to Lake Havasu, AZ. for the last Pocket Cruisers Convention.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
LOL. You don't have to convert me. The admiral is an RN and has a business that focuses on a healthy lifestyle. We will be able to enjoy our boat longer. See what I did there :)

Last edited:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
This is season # 19 with CHRISTMAS. Over these years she has adapted well to our sailing family giving back more than we put in.

The four of us rolling the main mast to the launch dock, a bi-annual family event.
Driving the mast.jpg

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
@TomY Since I got to live and work in Bath Maine from 1999 - 2005 I'm sure we sat out in Rockport every summer and enjoyed the view of your boat and others, and dreamed the dream we have now.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
I like how All U Get said it....
19 Oil Changes here.
We've own ours since it was new. 6 more payments and it's ours! All in all, it's given us more than I've had to give it.
Dealing with a sticky seacock in the head right now, but it will have to wait for the seasons end. Then I'll deal with trying to remove it without disturbing the thru hull. Another topic and tips from this site for another day.
Every year we've had a man sail up to our mooring and ask if we've picked out a new one for ourselves yet and leave his card.
I guess he wants the boat.

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
2010 the wife and I, late 50's checked off a bucket list item with sailing lessons. After lessons, looked at 3-4 boats, brought home a tired Precision 18. ( Whish I knew then what I know now, I would have jumped on an O Day 26 on a trailer that I passed on due to a few soft spots). 3 years if fixing up and trailer sailing with the 18. Winter time, walking around the marina kicking tires, the owner of my boat preparing it to take home to Towson,MD., 10 miles or so. He said he was done,taking it home to decide what to do with her. Gave him my card, call me when you decide. Called me a month later, boat in my driveway the next weekend. This is season # 6 for us with this one, Precision 23.