Time for new sails on my 2005 H38

Jun 5, 2012
Hunter 38 Chicago, IL
I have a quote from North Sails replacing the original set and they are suggesting 1 of 2 sail materials.
3Di Nordac 330 or NPC Radian .

Anyone have thoughts on the material or North sails as the replacement.
Both are furling.
Thanks Bob

Apr 16, 2017
Hunter 37.5 East Hampton, NY
Don’t think you can go wrong with North as long as you can foot the bill. If you do upgrade I would be interested in your current Genoa. I have a 1993 37.5 with original sale which your’s should fit. Let me know.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
I replaced my sails with North last year and am very happy. They usually have good sales on sails this time of year, 30-40% off. I went with a battiness main and it has made furling much easier with maybe a 5% reduction in sail area. The different fabrics and types of construction all have + & - , also weight of fabrics. It usually comes down to the type of sailing you do and what you can afford. Your new sails will be shipped to you from Sri Lanka.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I don't have answers for you, but I can give you some questions to ask. Once you get the answers from your salesperson, you can decide for yourself.

Both cloths will make good sails, but differ in their resistance to flogging, mildew and UV. They will also differ in their capacity to resist stretch during use and over the service life of the sail.

Resisting stretch when a gust hits is important always. Resisting permanent deformation due to stretch over the lifetime of the sail is also important, and is a separate but related issue.

What is the difference in price between the two, and what's your budget like?

Is the higher cost of lower stretch and less easily deformed sail may worth more to you in terms of performance?

Both the 3di Polyester and the Radian polyester will retain a good shape for longer than a sail made of dacron and with cross cut seams.

Ask your sales consultant "Which one will have a better shape in 3, 5 and 10 years?" Compare that to how long you plan to own the boat.
Ask which one will last longer in UV, if you plan to take the boat to a high UV destination,

Ask which one resists mildrew better/worse, if you live in humid climate, or where it where it rains frequently.

I don't have any experience with the relatively new NorDac 3Di sailcloth. I think it's been available since July 2017 so long term reviews aren't available. I don't know how durable it would be over the long haul with regard to humidity or UV or flogging. Since the 3DI relys on resin to hold the fibers, I suspect the service lifetime will be shorter than for woven dacrons (for radial and cross cut designs).

If mildew is a concern, I think the radial-cut dacron, Radian, will dry faster than the 3DI NorDac, but check with your salesperson.

Have you compared the cost to Norths' panelled cruising laminate, NorLam? I would suspect, but I'm not sure, that a NorLam tri-radial sail (cruising laminate with dacron skins over mylar skins ) will hold its shape as long as the 3DI NorDac dacron, and at a significantly lower cost. The shape will be a little bit stretchier, but still very good for performance cruising. And the cost will, I bet, be significantly lower.

Judy B

I have a quote from North Sails replacing the original set and they are suggesting 1 of 2 sail materials.
3Di Nordac 330 or NPC Radian .

Anyone have thoughts on the material or North sails as the replacement.
Both are furling.
Thanks Bob

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I just found this on North's website

From
North Sail's Blue Paper: CRUISING SAIL QUALITY GUARANTEE
https://www.northsails.com/sailing/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/1-NS-CruisingSailQuality_7.28.16.pdf

"North Sails will be strong and durable North Cruising Sails are designed for the rigors of intensive and extended use. Breaking strength, flex, UV and chafe resistance are all key components of cruising sail durability. If your sail breaks down and is repairable before its’ expected life span, due to a sail material failure, North will fix or replace it at a cost based upon the age and use of the sail. The expected lifespan from the date of CRUISING SAIL QUALITY GUARANTEE BLUE PAPER: A North Sails Guide BLUE PAPER - Cruising Sail Quality Guarantee delivery is: 5 years for North Panel Cloth Coastal and Radian sails, 4 Years for North Panel Laminate Tour sails and 3 years for 3Di Endurance Sails."

This North Blue Paper suggests that the service life of Radian (a warp-oriented polyester weave for tri-radial construction) exceeds that of North's cruising laminates (NorLam) (also for tri-radial construction), which in turn exceed the 3Di molded technologies.

Incidentally, I'd wager that the sails will, in practice, have a longer service life than the guarantee states.

Jun 5, 2012
Hunter 38 Chicago, IL
appreciate everyone's input. I also just received a quote from UK sails for Dacron and their Dacron was $1500 less than North. Both furling- UK was $3,190 for the main and $2,340 for the jib/genoa. North is $3,621 for the main and $3,302 for the jib using NorDac. Guessing Nordac is similar to Dacron that UK is using? I don't think I'll go with North's 3Di because while all specs sound and look good I'm concerned about longevity since it's only been out for a shorter period of time and I don't want to be the guinea pig for a possible delamination etc.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Did you try Mack Sails
Got a very good quote from them for my H-36 and friends have purchased them and very happy.
Nick

Jun 5, 2012
Hunter 38 Chicago, IL
looks like the difference in price is North is cutting theirs in a radial shape rather than a cross cut? Any thoughts on this?
North believes they hold their shape better?

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
and with all of the input from Judy, she still hasn't mentioned Hyde sails. Give her a call directly, I bought a set from her 2 years ago, and they are still like new. Radial cut, Dacron, Challenge Warp-Drive 7.11