Time for a new headsail(s). What to buy?

Feb 7, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 MKII 1097 Grove, OK
Jim .. do you have the dimensions for the jib that is on order?
Don't have dimensions for the new jib. Expect in 4 or 5 weeks. I'll ask Ullman next time I check status. I did get the dimensions for my STD Rig 110 Jib: 25'6" Luff, 23'6" Leach, 8'9" Foot. You can see with the Luff and leach being only 2' difference that the Clew is low to the cabin top. The Tall Rig has a much longer Luff as it is a 7/8 Rig, but I expect the ratio in Luff to Leach to be somewhat the same. Everyone seems to talk about the Tall Rig being so much taller. It's only 2' taller. It's the increase in forestay length and attachment to the mast 4 feet taller that makes the big difference.

Dec 21, 2016
Thanks .. For my tall rig, I am thinking about Luff: 27'6"; Leech: 25'9"; and Foot: 8'2". Still a bit unsure if the track position will give me enough control over the leech. There are options though.
Dave

Dec 21, 2016
Well I now have the "blade" sail for the 2005 Capri 22 TRFK. I thought I should give some feedback to this group who helped me with thinking it through.

First the facts: bought from FarEast Sails, luff: 27'6" Leach: 25'9" Foot: 8'2" Cloth: 5.93 all the bells and whistles, vertical leach battens, luff foam, tell tails and window, sun cover, leech and foot lines. Pictures attached.

I am very happy with this sail. I have had it out now in a good wind of ~ 14kts and again in very light winds of ~ 3 knts. Early concerns about it not moving the boat upwind in light winds were unfounded. The pointing ability is noticably improved. As expected, I do lose speed downwind and without a whisker pole one needs to jibe around a bit.

Now for the buying process. You fill out their order form after taking measurements. They then send the form to a CAD guy who gives me back a CAD drawing of their proposed sail. They tell me I can repeat that CAD drawing process as many times as I like, until I am convinced they are going to give me the sail I am expecting. The first run-through was bad. My measurements were fine and I gave them everything they asked for. But subtleties don't get piced up on the form. For example .. they ask for "clew height above the deck". That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, when the track is on the cabin top. A better measurement would be "height of the clew above the tack". Then I would know what I was getting. The second go round was perfect. I gave them my own measurements very carefully done, for luff lenght, leech length, and foot length. I simulated the sail on the boat using no-stretch material to get a good idea of how it would fit. A couple of weeks later it showed up on my doorstep. The quality of the work is impressive.

I knew I would need to modify the cabin top track. I added a new track which was forward by another 6 inches or so. That was necessary to give me a more vertical pull on the leech for good leech control over this high aspect sail. 6 inches is huge when the clew is so close to the track. Not a big job at all .. most of the existing holes were re-used. See picture.

Bottom line .. it is important to take charge of this project. There are three people involved .. the broker I talk to, the CAD guy in the background, and some loft employees cutting cloth. There is not a lot of thinking by anyone .. you have to do that. Buying locally is always nice, but the savings are really too hard to ignore.

cheers and I hope this helps someone else
Dave

Attachments