Tiller Extension

Nov 22, 2017
catalina capri 22 1222 delaware river
Sailing single handed when raising the mainsail to point into the wind can be problematic at times. Can't raise the mainsail and control the rudder at the same time. Can anyone recommend a decent detachable tiller extension? Went on-line but still not sure what to buy.

Thanks

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Last edited:

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Have you tried straddling the tiller, steering with your knees, while you use both hands to tail the halyard without grinding? (assuming your halyard is led aft)

But, in my honest opinion, if you single hand a lot, I highly recommend you invest in a tiller(auto) pilot. The best investment a single hander can make. Not only will it make raising the sail easier, it will make taking it down less of a chore... plus many other benefits such as leaving hands free for sail trimming, or making a sandwich, or taking a leak....

In any event, a tiller extension won't help as much as you think for this task, at least not as much as a tiller locking mechanism, such as the "tiller tamer"....

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
went with the Ronstan, Forespar is good too, my "autopilot" is bungees wrapped around the tiller and stretched to opposite stanchions, works ok...

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
But, in my honest opinion, if you single hand a lot, I highly recommend you invest in a tiller(auto) pilot. The best investment a single hander can make. Not only will it make raising the sail easier, it will make taking it down less of a chore... plus many other benefits such as leaving hands free for sail trimming, or making a sandwich, or taking a leak....

In any event, a tiller extension won't help as much as you think for this task, at least not as much as a tiller locking mechanism, such as the "tiller tamer"....
This! :clap:

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
I lock my motor in forward, lock the throttle for just enough headway into the wind, then lock my rudder into place with a TillerClutch. Except for an emergency flashlight, I don't need, and won't have, an electrical system on my boat, so no autopilot on my little boat.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I lock my motor in forward, lock the throttle for just enough headway into the wind, then lock my rudder into place with a TillerClutch. Except for an emergency flashlight, I don't need, and won't have, an electrical system on my boat, so no autopilot on my little boat.
That's a good method.... but why even mention your aversion to electrical systems?

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Try the davis tiller tamer available on line lots of places or more costly from Catalina Direct. Works like a charm for raising, dowsing sails, pee breaks etc. Less expensive than female crew members. LOL.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
That's a good method.... but why even mention your aversion to electrical systems?
I like autopilots in cruising boats, but I think that electrical systems in daysailers add unnecessary complexity/expense without commensurate benefit. I would not install additional electricity capacity and an AP in order to raise the sails. If my daysailer already had enough electricity capacity for an AP, I would put an AP on the "Maybe" list, but it would be behind many other items.

When I want to leave the tiller for longer than the tiller clutch will work, I simply heave to.